Forum business cards?

Stuff that relates to the running of the forums, and not to Ranger reenactment.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Forum business cards?

Post by Taurinor »

I'm going to be recruiting for my local group based on this forum at a small local library Comic-con, and I was hoping to promote this forum as well. Would it be possible for me to use the banner image (or a version of it) to make some cards to hand out with the URL? I won't be having anything professionally printed; I'd print them on cardstock at home.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Forum business cards?

Post by Manveruon »

It's funny, Greg and I were just talking about this exact thing when he came through Denver a couple weeks back. I'd love to have some MERF business cards as well, and honestly we could probably find a source to have standard, professionally printed ones made for extremely cheap.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I can dig up my original psd/ai files if you guys wan to do this.
Last edited by caedmon on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I can't spell
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Jack, I've been looking for the modified banner image (for this project, actually) that you had as a frontpage for awhile...you still have that? It was less long and narrow, but very similar to the current banner...sound familiar?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I put together something for this by pulling images and colors from the site:
MERF card.jpg
MERF card.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 22218 times
I mostly wanted to make sure I had something that I could take to the con - if we decide to have an official card design, I'll of course use that.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That looks great!

Any chance I could get my hands on a larger version of the file? I'd love to print off a few, myself, if you wouldn't mind.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

If you PM your email, I can send you the Photoshop file. It's sized at 3.5" x 2", since those are the standard business card dimensions.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Well that beats the pants off of what I had put together. Cool. I'd like a copy too.

As a suggestion, folks...don't hand out anything like this just willy-nilly, please. Our community is small. We enjoy (and thrive) based on very gradual, specific, and pertinent growth. Floods of people are likely in the future if something like a Rangers Apprentice movie happens...but we don't need to jumpstart that process. Hand them to people who you believe would genuinely be interested in what we have to offer, and would add something to the community or grow in their kit and skills by participating. I'm not saying I don't like new people...but I personally wouldn't hand a card to every person that said "Wow, you look cool!" Seek out pertinent costumes/garb, and take note of people who ask specific questions that show interest in "all of the crap" that you're carrying.

I'd also recommend that, before you print any of these out, you edit in your forum name in a nice classy grey in the top left corner, so when someone joins up, they have a buddy to PM so you know who they are, and they feel a bit more comfortable.

Great job, Taurinor.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Excelent points all! Thanks for the thoughts, Greg! I was actually musing on that same idea yesterday, during and after our hike. The park was extremely busy; being the first Saturday this year with really sunny, warm weather, everyone in the state apparently decided they felt a desperate need to go out at the same time and do some outdoorsy-stuff (it's Colorado after all). In any case, we ran into A LOT of people, basically constantly. Because of this, I found myself trying to explain exactly what it was we were doing to quite a few people. Then, after the hike was over, Bryan and I hit a local pub for a couple of beers (still in garb), and naturally we got all kinds of attention there, too. All the while, I thought to myself that this would be precisely the time a business card would come in handy. But then, after thinking about it for a while, I realized that there was not one single person we ran into to whom I would have actually felt totally comfortable handing over a card with our URL on it - or perhaps more to the point, I don't know if there was a single person who would have actually looked up the forum, or done anything with the card other than pitch it in the first rubbish bin they came across. It would be different if this were a page more like the Dunedain Germany website (basically, a regular website, with basic information, photo albums, etc. - a "Hey, look at us!" page, in other words), but in fact, this is more of a... sort of... online community? And even if the random person off the street took the time to actually follow the URL, more than likely they would turn straigt back around and leave the moment they realized it was mainly a message board.

So anyway, I'd say yes, it definitely seems more appropriate to hand cards mainly to people who seem like they might actually take an active interest in this hobby... but... this also sparks other thoughts as well... like... maybe it would be nice to have a sort of "hey, look at me!" page? Hmmmmm...
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

So, it looks like I have misplaced my good quality original files for the the forum banner, so[s] I'm recreating[/s] I have recreated them. As for a Business Card, I think something like this on a parchment card stock would be nice... (apologies, for lack of color on the brooch, I'm working on it.)
Attachments
business card2.png
business card2.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 22136 times
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Here's a large of the major elements and fonts.

dstar3.png
dstar3.png (105.65 KiB) Viewed 22170 times
-Jack Horner

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I always did like that design. :)

Do you have in a vector format by any chance? And would you mind my playing with it?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Wow, those are gorgeous!
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:I always did like that design. :)

Do you have in a vector format by any chance? And would you mind my playing with it?

Yes,I have it in a rather odd format, I'm working on a shareable one now. Will post when it's ready. BTW, what's your preference? .svg, .pdf, .eps, .ai, something else?

-Jack
-Jack Horner