Yet another new guy thread.

Stuff that relates to the running of the forums, and not to Ranger reenactment.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Yet another new guy thread.

Post by Cimrandir »

Hail and Well Met!

I have come from afar, seeking fellowship and fun. I'm the new guy, so let me tell you a little about myself. I've always been a fan of Lord of the Rings. When I was little, my mom used to read the "The Hobbit" to me before going to bed. Since then, I've read the Lord of the Rings at least four times. One thing I have always loved in the books is the Rangers, particularly Strider. So, in my enthusiasm, I started researching Ranger garb. Imagine my surprise when I came across an entire forum devoted to the Rangers! And not just the clothes, but woodcraft, fighting, the culture! I quite literally jumped for joy. So that's the story of how I came to this forum.

Another reason why I joined this forum is that I thought that ya'll might be able to help with a different Ranger outfit. One of my favorite fantasy series is "Ranger's Apprentice" by John Flanagan. I was just wondering if ya'll would allow question of that sort.

My kit consists of one green cloak. It's pretty heavy and I only use it for a ceremonial cloak. I don't tramp around in the woods with it since it tends to get caught in things. That is my entire kit. It's rather sad.

So, anyway, I'm male, 6'2 and have brown hair. (No, I can't play a hobbit, sad to say.) I enjoy reading, camping, whitewater kayaking and tons of other outdoor stuff. I love archery but unfortunately, I can't pursue it that much because I don't own a bow! (Stay tuned for a thread about that.) I enjoy in Indiana Jones. I am even a member of a different forum about his gear. The forum is called "Club Obi-Wan". Check it out. I also enjoy Star Wars and Stargate. I work in a vet clinic, scooping poop and holding dogs. I'm not very skilled in the internet, so if I start to annoy anybody, slap me upside the head. I won't mind, honest!

So that's me. I'm looking forward to many years of fun.

Thanks,
TexasRanger36
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Yet another new guy thread.

Post by Ernildir »

Welcome to the forum!

Many of us enjoy Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series as well, myself included, so we won't probably won't shoot you if you're leaning towards a RA style Ranger kit. I've been trying to obtain a double-knife setup myself. :lol:

I'm rather new to the forum as well, and everyone here is very helpful. I'm sure we (okay, everyone but me. I'll just sit in a corner and try to look important.) can offer advice and assistance on whatever you're pursuing.

Do you live in Texas, by the way? :)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Well met glad you found us. We have many kinds of rangers with many different skill sets. I also am I big fan of the RA series and at some point will try my hand at a cloak.

Don't feel bad my kit is basically stuff I was givin and a few pouches I made. But after my wedding (or funeral :lol: ) on sunday I will be getting alot more stuff done.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome! That story is, with minor variation, pretty much how most of us wound up here together, so you've got something in common with us already! Enjoy your stay! If you've got any questions regarding the internet in addition to Rangering, feel free to ask and SOMEONE on here will find a way to help you out.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome TR36!
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Welcome! I think most of us have enjoyed the Rangers Apprentice series. I've read about four of them. There have been several threads where people talked about the books and the gear. We have some fabulous craftspeople and artisans here; Pete is good with just about everything, Eric makes fabulous knives, Mike is an expert on swords and WMA (at least compared to me), Eledhwen makes great garb, Mirimaran is a great Ranger poet, and I'm leaving out so many more! Everyone here is helpful and welcoming, and I don't remember a single cross word in my short tenure here! So welcome again, and don't be shy! Someone here will be glad to help!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Welcome to the group. If you ask a question or send out a request for help here, you will definitely get a response. Like Kaelin said there is a diverse set of skills in operation here. Glad you found the board.

-Erich
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Mae govannen! Welcome. :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Elevorn
Wanderer

Post by Elevorn »

Welcome to the Forums!
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Hi and welcome! I'm pretty new myself. Just jump on in and have a good time.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Hail and Well Met! Welcome to the group!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Thanks for all warm welcomes, guys!

@Ernildhir - No, I do not live in Texas. I was born there and really want to move back, but I can't.

Again, thanks for welcomes!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

TexasRanger36 wrote:so if I start to annoy anybody, slap me upside the head. I won't mind, honest!

So that's me. I'm looking forward to many years of fun.

Thanks,
TexasRanger36

Sorry, we've got our favorite slappies here. But I could be persuaded to give up my seat on that panel if you really want it. :lol:

Welcome to the boards.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.