Um.. like... hi.:)

Stuff that relates to the running of the forums, and not to Ranger reenactment.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Um.. like... hi.:)

Post by Elleth »

Since Eric was kind enough to ask for an introduction - here I is. :)

Hi! Im elleth. ;)

I've done living history stuff on and off for years, but am only recently starting to get back into it more seriously.

More to the point, I'm looking at doing a fairly long woodswalk sometime soon - possibly next spring, but more likely next spring is going to bring a series of "shakedown" walks, with the big one for the year after, once I feel reasonably certain I know what I'm doing. *heh* (I'm in Alaska, so while there's all kinds of woods to tromp through, some is harder to get to, and it's a little harder to say "eek! help!" if you get in over your head)

ANYHOW, I'm in the middle of sloughing off a great deal of worldly encumbrances* so as to build up more comfortable "old fashioned" outdoor tools, and have been reading and sewing like mad lately (I hear reenactors tearing their hair out, but I'm finding picking through the Mark Baker books all kinds of fun).

Reading everything you all have been up to is fascinating - thank you for the inspiration! :)

(* shameless plug.. about to post goodies in the "sale" section. I hope that's okay to do so early on?)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Um.. like... hi.:)

Post by Eric C »

Hi again Elleth,
The owner of the site, Caedmon, or Jackadmin is also in Alaska. Maybe y'all could bump into each other some time. Welcome again to the boards and we look forward to hearing more from you.

Eric
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Welcome glad to hear from you.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Mae govannen!

Welcome! :)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
BrianBlass
Wayfarer

Post by BrianBlass »

From one newbie to another: welcome!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Welcome! Alaska is reputed to have the most beautiful landscapes. We'd love to see pics went you hike.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Welcome! I second Peter's motion for pics of Alaska!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Sounds like you're EXACTLY the kind of person we like to have around here.

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your stay!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Erucheb
Wanderer

Post by Erucheb »

Welcome!

(I suppose I can say that, having been here longer than a week . . . ;) )
~ No mael i-'wannad lín a lim i-'ovaned lín! ~
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Hail and Well met and welcome to the forums
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Elleth wrote:(I hear reenactors tearing their hair out, but I'm finding picking through the Mark Baker books all kinds of fun).
What Mark Baker books?
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Welcome!
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Welcome!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Beornmann wrote:
Elleth wrote:(I hear reenactors tearing their hair out, but I'm finding picking through the Mark Baker books all kinds of fun).
What Mark Baker books?
I tried Googling Mark Baker's literature with no success...but I DID find a traditional Archer by the name of Mark Baker whose site sells PATTERN-WELDED TRADE POINTS!

http://www.classicbowhunting.com/?z=nec ... harpthings

A bit off topic, but certainly huzzah-worthy in the Greg book!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Thank you all!

Oh, Alaska is amazing. It really can't be captured in words or pictures. Everytime I go down Outside now, the 48 feels all..... overly-cramped and too-civilized. Up here, most of the state isn't on a road system, and even that which is gets very spread out and sparse once you're a hundred miles from Anchorage. The land is gorgeous, but it's not shy about killing you if you're stupid... and sometimes if you're just plain unlucky. Even in town, it's not necessarily a comfortable or always safe place to live (I've met one gal who was chased by a pack of real live wolves while out jogging, and only lived 'cause of a convenient portapotty to hole up in) - but it is shall we say deliberate.

Mark Baker books - a friend of mine showed me one of his videos once upon a time. He's a living history guy that's one of the big names in..well, doing the same kind of thing as y'all do, but with an 18th century frontier America spin instead of Middle Earth. Here's the book I've been reading lately -

http://www.amazon.com/Pilgrims-Journey- ... 1880655160
I imagine the better part of his experience and advice will translate fairly well - just drop the blackpowder gun stuff and wear different funny clothes. :)

The one thing that really hits me as I go through ditching this thing or replacing that is how much more human scale the old timey stuff is. I haven't a clue what "Qualofill" or whatever is in a sleeping bag.... but I've seen flax growing and spun wool. It's all still at a scale that's easily, intuitively, satisfying. Fun!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.