2015 Official MERF Photo Contest

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

2015 Official MERF Photo Contest

Post by Greg »

Greetings, one and all!

It's been awhile since we've had one of these, but this year the admins are kinda hosting it together, and it'll go a little differently, hopefully to the benefit and inclusion of all!

This year, there will be ONE category/criteria, which everyone's photos must fall under, but will still allow for a very wide range of generated content, which is really the whole point. We loves ourselves some pics!

This year's category is *drumroll*...

Fire.

What this means:
Every photograph entered (ONE entry per forum member, please) is required to contain:

1) Some part of the forum member submitting the entry which is easily identifiable as themself.
2) The part(s) of the forum member in the photograph must clearly be shown in Middle-Earth appropriate garb, race unimportant.
3) There must be some form of fire, [defined as burning material] present in the photo.

This means sparks from hammering on hot metal do not count...flames or embers of consumables must be present.

There will be three prizes this time around, and they are NOT designated as "First, second, and third." Instead, when the community-wide poll ends, the top three entries will be able to SELECT their prize from the three options, all similarly valued at around $25, in the order of their placement in the contest (first place chooses first, second place next, and so on.) This should enable contestants to select what they need most, rather than having folks vying for second place, etc., because the prize for that place suits their needs.

The three prizes are, as follows, in no particular order:

Constructed and donated by Pete Remling, an ingenious belt that incorporates a steel fire striker as the buckle, and carries a piece of flint in the leather of the belt itself. Brings a whole new meaning to "First-line" gear.

Next, I am donating a 48" fiberglass woodgrain recurve bow that pulls at or under 25#, with three 28" youth arrows. This would be a great way to get your young ranger started, or to acquire a bow to carry while you're shopping for something better. The bow doesn't look fiberglass from a few feet back, if you're needing a costume bow. It will come with a paracord string so your young archer needn't worry about maintenance or arrows coming off the string. Great for the learner.

(Photograph forthcoming)

Lastly, I am nearly finished stitching up a leather portmanteau for the final prize. It is shorter end-to-end and larger in diameter than the one I currently carry (I'll get dimensions shortly), so I think it'll be able to carry a bit more variety of goods. I can add belt loops for the belt width of your choice if you'd like, or you can do this yourself.

(Photograph forthcoming)

You have from the first of Spring (yesterday) to the first day of Autumn, September 23rd.

All entries are to be posted in this thread. One, two, ready, go.

-Greg
Last edited by Greg on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: 2015 Official MERF Photo Contest

Post by Straelbora »

Cool idea. I'm looking forward to submissions.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

I am looking forward to this as well!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hot diggity, this sounds fun! Taking cool shots of fire can actually be really difficult, but it will make for an interesting challenge!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Hmm, the theme gives me an excuse to possibly get something I have been wanting but isn't the most practical item. While not really justifying the $175 cost, it just might be enough to rationalize it for me.
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Well due to my bow build going SNAP and ordering a new bow kit, I don't think I will be able to spend the $175 on the fire thing I was planning for this contest.

Since it doesn't look like I will be getting this item anytime soon, I figured I will share it. I was hoping to be able to do a review on it for the forum, it is a nifty little magician gadget.

Ever wanted the power to shoot fireballs?

With this you can. http://www.ellusionist.com/pyro-handhel ... ilber.html

Maybe someone else here will want to get one of these.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Contest prizes have (finally) been added to the first post of this thread. Be planning your photo...we've got just over a month, and I'd really like to stick to the deadline this time, if we can help it.

Cheers!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Does the fire have to be real, or are we allowed to add it in after the fact? I saw Peter's post about it, and his was a photomanipulation, so I figured I'd ask just to be sure.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg

Post by Greg »

Didn't realize he had added his flame after the fact...I somehow got the impression that the flame got skewed in his editing process...but since his isn't an entry, we'll let it slide *wink

Yes, entries are supposed to have a real flame in them; a consumable material being burnt.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Actually it did have real flame, it got washed out against the green screen so my daughter added the "fake" flame.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, okay, gotcha.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Here's my entry:

Last edited by Taurinor on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg

Post by Greg »

WOW.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very Cool, Great idea !
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Very cool entry Taurinor! However, back to the drawing board for me, haha!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.