You are exactly the corps I'm looking for.

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: You are exactly the corps I'm looking for.

Post by Rifter »

Greetings and well met
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

SierraStrider wrote:Looks like a solid option, Mirimaran.

On a slightly different note, one of the biggest issues I see with this undertaking is boots. I'll need a pair that I can hike like a demon in. Right now these (https://armstreet.com/store/footwear/me ... ots-forest) look like the most promising option, though I'm also very impressed with Urthgard's modified desert boots. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, or I may dedicate a separate post to this question if appropriate.
Those are damn cheap, make no mistake.
You didn't mention your price range, although you mentioned something about a demon. :evil:
These look very good, but they're also very pricy:
http://www.footwearbyfootskins.com/
Whatever you choose, I am sure you will walk in them a mile or two before setting out.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

Thanks a ton, Kortoso. Those look like a fantastic option. The canoe sole walking boots seem like the best option I've yet seen for replicating the functionality of period boots, lacking rubber soles. Not sure I'd want to risk wrecking a pair of gorgeous $180+ leather soles on 135 miles of sharp granite, though. We'll see.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

There are indeed a number of viable options when it comes to boots. You can either buy, make, or modify, and all of those options definitely have advantages and disadvantages. Buying a pair of ready-made boots is certainly the easiest, but they may be pricey, and are often not 100% right for specific ranger purposes. Making a pair of boots from the ground up can yield really cool results, but is extremely difficult, especially if you need something that will put up to a lot of punishment. I feel like modifying an existing pair of boots is often the best of both worlds, and if you're looking for maximum comfort/durability, modifying a modern pair of shoes or boots could be a really good option.

That all being said, I really like Viking Leathercrafts. They sell good quality boots at a very decent price. I bought a pair that I modified by adding longer shafts, and they have held up to A LOT of abuse. On the alternative, they do have several styles of tall boots as well, they're just a bit more expensive. They do offer a lugged Vibram sole, however, which is excellent for hiking (if not totally "period accurate").

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/period-footwear.html
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Nice Viking footwear, that. :P

Course, if we are talking about "period" (by which we usually mean "medieval") shoes, one would be remiss to forget Bohemond, a favorite of the SCA crowd.
http://boots-by-bohemond.myshopify.com/

But I think it's worth saying that the danger is not in beating up your shoes on granite trails, but in beating up your feet in shoes that are only good for walking from the car to the tourney in the park and back to the car again. :mrgreen:
Foot blisters have spelled the end of many a brave trek.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to parse the line between authenticity and safety. It's especially hard because I can't try any of these boots on before purchasing. I worry about a lot of these rubbing in the heel or toes and raising blisters--and the smooth leather soles on most seem perilous on trail-worn granite.

I suspect I'll be going with a 'less is more' approach. I'm barefoot near as much as a hobbit, so I don't need very much in the way of support, just abrasion protection. As such, I think those moccasins you linked are probably my best bet. Strider's portrayed in the book as wearing high boots, but I think lower shoes plus leather gaiters or half-chaps would be my preference.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

For what it's worth, smooth leather soles wear in to be decently grippy with time and use. Still a hazard in wet muddy conditions though - hence hobnails I guess.
I have some Armstreet shoes that I quite like - they're stiffer than moccasins, but far lighter than traditional boots.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Indeed. In my WMA practice, we've found that if you wear period medieval footwear on modern surfaces (such as gymnasium floors), and walking as we do in the 21st century, you might slip and bust your knee. We are accustomed to wearing rubber soled shoes and we walk differently because of it. With authentic medieval shoes or moccasins for that matter, you need to keep your feet under you and pay attention to your center of gravity.

For my part, I have always preferred soft soled shoes for the trail.

-By the way, Evan, if you hike in the National Forests of the Sierras, you will find much less regulation than you would in the National Parks. For instance, if you want to camp beside a fire, this may not be permitted in Yosemite.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

I know my way around the rules and regulations of camping out here well enough. I might choose a different trail as I get closer, but I don't anticipate NP regulations causing a problem. To cut bedding weight I may well end up hiking by the light of a full moon and getting what little sleep the pace would afford me during the day, when it's warmer. I'll take my tinderbox, but probably won't be using it.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

SierraStrider wrote:I know my way around the rules and regulations of camping out here well enough. I might choose a different trail as I get closer, but I don't anticipate NP regulations causing a problem. To cut bedding weight I may well end up hiking by the light of a full moon and getting what little sleep the pace would afford me during the day, when it's warmer. I'll take my tinderbox, but probably won't be using it.
That sounds like a great idea, actually. Trying to sleep in the frigid mountain air can seriously suck.

as for the footwear question, I can safely say that Viking Leathercrafts has a large selection of footwear from the Middle Ages as well as from the Dark Ages/Viking Age, and pretty much any of their designs will work for Ranger related activities, with or without modification. Personally, I purchased a pair of their 13th century ankle books then added longer leg shafts and longer laces to tie them up my legs. I got them with regular leather soles, but had Vibram soles added later - however, you can order any of their boots or shoes with Vibram soles already on them. The tall 14th Century buckled boots look especially nice to my eye, and quite good for Ranging:
http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/luxu ... -boot.html

That being said, Boots by Bohemond also comes highly recommended by quite a few of the members here. The Medieval High Shoes in particular are supposed to be excellent - Taurinor owns a pair, I know.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:That being said, Boots by Bohemond also comes highly recommended by quite a few of the members here. The Medieval High Shoes in particular are supposed to be excellent - Taurinor owns a pair, I know.
Yep, I've got a pair of those! They've held up well, but I haven't put anything close to the mileage that you're planning on them. If you decide to go for traditional turnshoes with no vibram, I'd suggest cutting a pair of additional soles out of heavy leather to carry with you. They won't take up much space in a pack, and that way, if you wear a hole in a shoe, you can just slide the second sole into the shoe like an insole for a quick "fix". I'd hope the original soles would be up to the task, but like I said, I just haven't put that much mileage on them.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Great advice, Taurinor. That sounds like it'll come in handy no matter what boots I decide on.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

SierraStrider wrote:I know my way around the rules and regulations of camping out here well enough. I might choose a different trail as I get closer, but I don't anticipate NP regulations causing a problem. To cut bedding weight I may well end up hiking by the light of a full moon and getting what little sleep the pace would afford me during the day, when it's warmer. I'll take my tinderbox, but probably won't be using it.
It sounds like you live up in that area and you know your way around the mountains. You will do fine.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Greetings new comer
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'