You are exactly the corps I'm looking for.

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

You are exactly the corps I'm looking for.

Post by SierraStrider »

Hello, friends. My name's Evan, and I just stumbled across this board while doing some research for my own ranger project.

I was recently reading about the record speeds at which people have completed the John Muir trail in California. Specifically, I was very impressed by Andrew Bentz' account of his unsupported run, in which he completed the 211 mile trail in about 3½ days.

It rang a little bell in the back of my mind. A bell that went something like:
‘Strider is too poor a name, son of Arathorn,’ he said. ‘Wingfoot I name you. This deed of the three friends should be sung in many a hall. Forty leagues and five you have measured ere the fourth day is ended! Hardy is the race of Elendil!’
45 leagues is 135 miles. If it's possible to do 211 miles in >3½ days, then 135 in >4 suddenly seems within the realm of possibility...

That was the birth in my mind of the Foot-Race of Elendil. I've started training with the intent of completing a personal race against the clock from the Le Conte Ranger Station to Yosemite Valley, a distance of 135 miles, in under 4 days.

But of course, covering that distance with my usual ultralight backpacking gear, pounding packs of energy gel all the way, would be cheating. No; I've got to replicate the conditions of the feat if I want it sung in many a hall.

So in addition to preparing myself physically, I'm assembling a kit that replicates as nearly as practical Strider's equipment in the book.

I'm just glad he isn't wearing armor at that point.

All your kits and thoughts on Ranging are proving very helpful in this endeavor. I look forward to picking brains and posting builds as the challenge nears completion. I don't know when that will happen, but I'm aiming tentatively for Midsummer next. Happy hunting!
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: You are exactly the corps I'm looking for.

Post by Kortoso »

Welcome O fellow Californian!
This is a brilliant inspiration. I wish you the best in your endeavor!

Of course, going through a National Park, you will expect to be disarmed.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Welcome. You have set a serious goal for yourself, one definitely worthy of song. I wish you all the best on the completion of this quest. Some of us older folks are still working up to hiking the Palmetto Trail and parts of the Appalachian Trail. I look forward to hearing about your exploits as they unfold.

And again, welcome to the group. I hope you enjoy the company.

Erich
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Welcome, Strider!

Such a feat would be worthy of song indeed, I hope that our group can aid you in some way! Looking forward to your posts and pics!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Yes, welcome!!

I do hope you cheat enough to take some pictures along the way. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Bear in mind, most of the path of the Three Hunters doesn't change nearly as much in elevation as the JMT does...you might want to handicap your intended pace a little bit.

Great goal, regardless!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

I had pondered the legalities, Kortoso. I'm planning to carry an essentially decorative sword (read: modified flea-market slag) which is blunter than a butter knife and no more a weapon than a trekking pole would be. Besides, I don't think there's an upper end on the size of 'knife' you can take camping, is there?

I'm waffling on whether I'd carry any type of bow or arrows; the book seems to imply that Aragorn's armed only with his sword. If I did, I'd probably leave the bowstring and arrowheads at home to render them purely decorative as well. From what I can find online, firearms are perfectly okay to carry in the NP's but bows are illegal. Go figure.

Elleth, I've got no qualms about carrying extra weight. A camera is a definite must--maybe a leather case for my GoPro. I'll be taking a "Light of Earendil" to ward off evil creatures (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NK ... PDKIKX0DER) and a few pieces of modern emergency kit in case things go badly.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

SierraStrider wrote: I'm waffling on whether I'd carry any type of bow or arrows; the book seems to imply that Aragorn's armed only with his sword. If I did, I'd probably leave the bowstring and arrowheads at home to render them purely decorative as well. From what I can find online, firearms are perfectly okay to carry in the NP's but bows are illegal. Go figure.
This is accurate. Silly beyond belief, but accurate nonetheless. As for the sword, you may still be harassed by the authorities, depending on how strict the individual ranger/officer may be. Generally I have found that most law enforcement officers don't draw a distinction between a functional and non-functional sword. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck... you get the point. Weighted wood might be a safer option, if possible. You may be able to get away with the stringless bow and pointless arrows, but the sword I think could definitely be trickier. Which is unfortunate, because as you said, Strider is only ever described in the books thus: "The Company took little gear of war, for their hope was in secrecy not in battle. Aragorn had Andúril but no other weapon, and he went forth clad only in rusty green and brown, as a Ranger of the wilderness." So in the end, it's up to your discretion whether you take more than just a sword, or even the sword itself.

That all said, this idea sounds EPIC. In the truest sense of the word. I sincerely hope you are able to achieve your goal! I look forward to seeing the results with great anticipation!
Last edited by Manveruon on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I don't mean to throw cold water on your enterprise. I suggest researching the situation before you are disappointed.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weapons.htm
Within Yosemite National Park, it is prohibited to possess or use pepper spray (including bear spray and other irritant gas devices), pellet guns, BB guns, bows and arrows, crossbows, blowguns, spearguns, hand-thrown spears, slingshots, explosive devices, or any other implements designed to discharge missiles.
Last edited by Kortoso on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

If the bow has no string, however, and is therefore incapable of launching said projectiles, I don't see why it would be prohibited at at that point. I mean, without a string, a bow is literally just a stick.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Well, as Manveruon points out,
Aragorn had Andúril but no other weapon
So it's a moot point. No bow required for accuracy, so no reason to risk the obstinacy of the authorities.

As for the sword...it'd be a bit cheeky, but I could attach a hilt to a moderately-sized utility knife, then weight a full-length scabbard to accurately replicate the weight and balance. If anyone hassles me over my 'sword' I can just demonstrate that it's a safe and sane camp tool.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Instead of a sword, or sword-like object, might I suggest a Cold Steel Polypropylene waister?

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Medie ... B0030D63OQ

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Mirimaran wrote:Instead of a sword, or sword-like object, might I suggest a Cold Steel Polypropylene waister?

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Medie ... B0030D63OQ

Ken
Love this idea.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Looks like a solid option, Mirimaran.

On a slightly different note, one of the biggest issues I see with this undertaking is boots. I'll need a pair that I can hike like a demon in. Right now these (https://armstreet.com/store/footwear/me ... ots-forest) look like the most promising option, though I'm also very impressed with Urthgard's modified desert boots. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, or I may dedicate a separate post to this question if appropriate.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I'll be taking a "Light of Earendil" to ward off evil creatures
... hunh. I wonder if one of those *could* be pulled out of the modern casing and repackaged in an elven-looking crystal vial? That would be all kinds of cool. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.