So...this is embarrassing.

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

So...this is embarrassing.

Post by Elwindil »

Right, so I've been a member here for a while now and thought that I'd already posted an introduction...I know I typed one up when I joined, but apparently it didn't send to the site, possibly due to the fact that I joined in winter and we were having power and internet issues that winter. So yes, I am terribly embarrassed about that. However, on to the introduction. I'm Elwindil, and I've been a fan of these works for as long as I can remember. Tucked away in a safe place is a rather battered and dog eared paperback copy of The Hobbit, it's one of the first pieces that I read when I was younger and I fell in love. Don't have much in the way of kit, but I'm going to hopefully be fixing that over the next few months. I do have what I feel to be the most important part of any kit for adventuring and that's knowledge and a few survival skills. All else can come with time, but I also happen to have a few blades that I will be using for my persona as well. Any suggestions/recommendations on fabricating or acquiring inexpensive pieces of kit for those on a fixed income would be most welcome. Thank you all for having me here, I look forward to joining in on the discussions as much as I can, though I often tend to lurk just to gather more knowledge.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: So...this is embarrassing.

Post by Elleth »

Welcome Elwinil!

Have you seen these getting started threads?

Greg's "First Time trekker's list" :
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... f=3&t=3156

And Udwin's link to - "Premium advice for newcomers":
http://middleearthrangers.org/forum/vie ... f=3&t=3427

Regarding getting started inexpensively - Le-Loup and Urthgard have both done amazing things from thrift store finds - I'd suggest searching for their threads for some good ideas.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

A belated welcome! :P

May I ask, approximately where in the "real world" are you located?
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

No, I hadn't seen those yet Elleth. Thank you for pointing them out, I've been slowly working backwards through the posts in each section of the forum, as time and fancy permits. Thank you for the welcome! It's nice to be in a place where my desire to live in Middle Earth is looked at with understanding and acceptance.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

Kortoso, I'm currently living in Texas, prior to that I was smack in the middle of Michigan. I've lived in many states and countries over the years, first as an Army brat and then when I joined for six years myself, good times and good experiences.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome! Feel free to dive right on in.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Welcome! I think a fair few members start by lurking for a while before jumping in (I know I did).
Elwindil wrote:Any suggestions/recommendations on fabricating or acquiring inexpensive pieces of kit for those on a fixed income would be most welcome.
Udwin put up a good Venn diagram to keep in mind for this sort of thing:
Udwin wrote:When new folks show up, it always pays to bring up the designer's paradox diagram:
I first heard the concept described as "good, fast, and cheap - pick two."

For clothing/garb, you'll have a much easier time of things if you can sew (or find someone who will sew for you). You don't even need to invest in a sewing machine, although sewing by hand is considerably slower. There are plenty of YouTube videos that teach the basics of garment construction. Jack wrote up/drew some really good instructions for a basic tunic. Surplus wool pants will easily fit with most Middle Earth impressions, especially under a tunic, and leg-wraps can hide a multitude of footwear sins!
Elleth wrote:Regarding getting started inexpensively - Le-Loup and Urthgard have both done amazing things from thrift store finds - I'd suggest searching for their threads for some good ideas.
I second that! To save money, I find most of my textiles at thrift stores. Overcoats and plus-size skirts can be great sources of linen, wool, and leather. Sometimes you can find wool blankets and linen sheets at thrift stores, as well.

Hard kit can be a little harder than garb, since it usually involves more skills/specialty equipment to generate. Certainly not impossible, though, as a lot of members of this forum have demonstrated! A canvas painters cloth can make a decent tarp, especially after shrinking it as much as possible in a hot washer and dryer. A modern aluminum camping pot with a bail doesn't call attention to itself, and "feast gear" is pretty easy to find at thrift stores. A small wood-handled axe is easy to find at the hardware store (although tomahawks can be found fairly cheaply online), and can perform a wide variety of tasks in the woods.

Some of the more "authentic"/specialized gear can be expensive/harder to make, but there are craftsman on this forum with a wide array of skills/knowledge!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and wonderful advice. I have been seriously contemplating the persona I wish to portray, and while in my heart I am a Ranger of the North...physically, I will not be able to do such rigorous activities any more. So, I must perforce choose something a bit more realistic and within my knowledge and skill sets, so I believe that a wandering craftsman and merchant would be something I am capable of being. I have skills and knowledge in working with wood, and will possibly be acquiring some decent hand tools in the near future, from there I can work on enhancing the knowledge and skills I already possess. I can post pictures of some of the works I have made, once I get them made. Mostly what I have done in the past is staves and such from trees cut down where I used to live, I do have a few of those still on hand.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

And don't forget the Wiki, especially the part about kit:
http://www.middleearthrangers.org/wiki/ ... ?title=Kit
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

HAH! finally figured out how to resize the picture without it looking all smooshed and weird. Now I've got a profile picture with some small bits of what I would consider kit, though the duster isn't 100% accurate to the period/ME history.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Welcome to the group!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

Thanks for the welcome! hopefully I can help contribute to the goings on around here and be useful in some way/shape/form.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Elwindil wrote:Thank you all for the warm welcomes and wonderful advice. I have been seriously contemplating the persona I wish to portray, and while in my heart I am a Ranger of the North...physically, I will not be able to do such rigorous activities any more. So, I must perforce choose something a bit more realistic and within my knowledge and skill sets, so I believe that a wandering craftsman and merchant would be something I am capable of being. I have skills and knowledge in working with wood, and will possibly be acquiring some decent hand tools in the near future, from there I can work on enhancing the knowledge and skills I already possess. I can post pictures of some of the works I have made, once I get them made. Mostly what I have done in the past is staves and such from trees cut down where I used to live, I do have a few of those still on hand.

Working with your persona concept: You were an active Ranger but are no longer physically capable due to age or wounds/damage taken in that line of activity. Now you wander in the guise of a traveling salesman/tinker in order to gain information for the Rangers. Many of the townsfolk view Rangers with suspicion so you can fit in and talk freely. You get rumors of the road, local changes in behavior and you can secretly resupply Rangers cache' of food and materials and relay your information at the same time with coded notes.

Welcome
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Peter Remling wrote: Working with your persona concept: You were an active Ranger but are no longer physically capable due to age or wounds/damage taken in that line of activity. Now you wander in the guise of a traveling salesman/tinker in order to gain information for the Rangers. Many of the townsfolk view Rangers with suspicion so you can fit in and talk freely. You get rumors of the road, local changes in behavior and you can secretly resupply Rangers cache' of food and materials and relay your information at the same time with coded notes.
I like this suggestion a lot. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elwindil

Post by Elwindil »

That is an excellent suggestion. I rather like that as well. I might just have to use that.