Yavion’s Gift

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Yavion’s Gift

Post by Yavion »

Last edited by Yavion on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Yavion’s Gift

Post by Mirimaran »

Oh, I loved that tale! I could read tales from the Pony all night, now where are the pics??? :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

Last edited by Yavion on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is VERY COOL!

Looking forward to the pictures. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

What a great way to regift to the entire forum without insulting anyone. Loved the story, can't wait for the pics and thanks to Yavion for being thoughtful entire to share.
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

My original thought was to do a pouch with a snow leopard on it, but Ringulf suggested I do a nice Viking Knit necklace instead. I thought that would be nice, given Yavion’s Norse persona, and that he might like it. So I got some silver plated copper wire, 65 feet of it to be exact, and a wooden dowel and started weaving. Many hours later, this is the result:

Once it was finished and I had wrapped the piece of Russian Jade that Ringulf had in his stores of beads and gems, I thought it needed something... more... and that is when Ringulf pulled this out of his hat and said, "I could use this for a knife handle."

He had some tips he cut off some cold steel seax knives and I picked one out. He then trimmed the blade up and put the cat on the tine, placed the cow bone on for the bolster and then cast it onto the hilt with silver solder. And then he made the sheath. All while I was off at work.
The result is a Cat Seax!

So then I needed something to put the necklace in to protect it and I still wanted to do a pouch. Ringulf and I had worked on this little pouch for me out of some scraps from other projects, but it was falling apart and had some issues. So I took it apart and reworked it and sewed back together again. We dyed it green and then rubbed it with neetsfoot oil to protect it.

And of course Yavion was now going to need a belt to put the pouch and the knife on and this one just went with the color scheme beautifully, so we threw that in too. The belt is made on an Inkle Loom by a lady named Wanda that is in the SCA and lives in our local Shire. She doesn't like to work with wool yarn, so it is not entirely natural fibers, but that is the only concession to it being of the medieval period.

And thus you have the evolution and probably more pics than you bargained for. I am glad you enjoy the gift Yavion. May you get many years use from it. Should the sewing on the pouch come undone again, please send it back to us and we will fix it.
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)