An introduction and a question.

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ranger Austin
Wayfarer

An introduction and a question.

Post by Ranger Austin »

Mae govannen mellonen!

I'm Austin, 25 years old, male, from East Texas. I discovered this site over the summer and have been lurking for awhile. I've been a Tolkien reader since the age of eight, and I am completely floored with the attention to detail you all put into your kits. My beloved lady and I have been debating whether or not we want to become rangers(or, in her case, a Bounder given that she is...shall we say...vertically challenged), but I've run into a bit of an issue which I think might make it hard for me to go out and about in the Wild.

I have rheumatoid arthritis. Luckily for me it's a milder case, but it's still severe enough that I cannot walk far out of doors without the assistance of a cane. Do any of you struggle with similar disabilities? How does that effect your ranging? You don't have to go into too much detail, but I'd like to know, to make sure that this is a thing I can do.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: An introduction and a question.

Post by Peter Remling »

First, Welcome to the Forum !

Hope about substituting a walking/quarterstaff for a cane. I've fractured my left ankle once and my left foot at least 3 times, have extremely flat feet and am getting up there in years. If I'm walking for distances I'll take a walking stick. It's not considered a weapon although can be used at need quite effectively and is period. Another way would be to make a bow case for your longbow and add a stiff bottom. Not only will it protect your bow but can be used for a makeshift walk stick.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

First - oh yes. Asthma and terrible hay fever both. These days both under passable control with medication, but I'm still not running any marathons.

Secondly - I love Peter's suggestion of a quarterstaff. Or heck, a spear.

Also, even for a Ranger persona I think you're still in fine shape. Wounds didn't always heal right - even at 25. You could easily have gotten a knee caved in by an orc's bludgeon a couple summers back and now just manage best you can. Not everyone can ride at a moment's call to Rohan, but someone still needs to watch the homefires.

edit - the raggedy man with a walking stick on the East Road that's younger than all the trail dust and wear suggest might have more to him than meets the eye. Servants of the enemy and brigands both might have wished they'd kept their secrets closer when passing him by. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

I came on board a few years ago. I'm 52 now. Although I have, let's say, a Dwarvish frame (shortish and generally muscular), I also carry around the ghosts of untold Coca Colas, hamburgers, burritos, pizzas, ice cream, etc.

When I was in my 20s and 30s, I hiked a lot and did a lot of back country camping. I few years ago, I did some hikes with some of the other Rangers that really exhausted me due to the extra weight I carry.

I've been losing weight, but have been plagued with plantar fasciitis (stiff tendon from the arch of my left foot up and over the heel), which has lead to 'compensatory damage' (walking weird due to that pain causing problems) to the meniscus tissue of my knees. In short, I've had foot and knee pain that has seriously impacted my walking for about 2 years now.

But I'm still here. Even after your body may not cooperate with ranging, you can still be a Ranger. My persona is a retired Ranger running an Inn. Heck, you can even incorporate your arthritis as the results of a battle injury into your persona.

Welcome and have fun- and don't worry about what you can't do.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Howdy and welcome! thoughtful consideration is always a good way to start. Also props to your lady for considering pursuing anything that isn't the default 'Ranger'...I've always felt that one's physical build should factor into deciding on one's persona.
If you haven't already, I would highly recommend checking out Townsend's 'Getting Started' series, but especially the first part, which addresses the challenges and rewards of getting involved in living history despite possible physical challenges. (in summary, 'don't focus on excuses why you shouldn't get out there, get creative thinking how you can get out there!')
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ranger Austin
Wayfarer

Post by Ranger Austin »

I really want to thank everyone for the warm welcome I've received. Substituting a walking stick/staff for a cane is probably what I'm going to go with. I unfortunately also have arthritis in my hands, and while my current daily stretching regimen keeps them functional, I think that archery would be a bit of a stretch. For weaponry I plan to go with either an arming sword, or a short sword/ax/dagger combination. In my tweens and teenage years I regularly engaged in backyard swordfights with wooden wasters with a variety of companions. A fairly regular game would be "Rangers and Orcs," naturally, the Orcs always lost and the Rangers always won :)

This leads to my next question: are there any Rangers in my neck of the woods? I currently live near Beaumont, TX. My lady lives in Dallas, and soon I'll be moving to live with her full time. She'll graduate from school next summer, and then we'll be looking for a place closer to where I live now so she can be near her siblings. Are there any moots in the East Texas area?
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I think we have some members in Arizona and Texas. Surely they will report in as soon as they return from patrol.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome! Straelbora's right...focus on what you CAN do!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Welcome Ranger!

I think that you have been given some good advice: play to your strengths and use a staff. A staff is excellent for clearing away spider webs and moving slithering/crawling things out of the way. Putting something metal, pointy and sharp will also increase its offensive capabilities.

I'd like to add a different dimension in answering your question if I may--Herbalsim. Most Rangers would have at least some skill in this craft.

While the following herbs/supplements won't necessarily correct the underlying porblem of RA, they will help to mitigate and deal with the symptoms. They are also cheap and don't have the side effects associated with pharamaceuticals. But, make sure that you do your due diligence.

Look into the following:

1. Turmeric. Turmeric doesn't have the side effects that NSAIDs have. It is extremely good for the heart, the brain, controlling Diabetes, etc. It is also a very potent cancer fighter. With respect to arthritis, Turmeric is an extremely powerful anti-inflammatory. I can't remember the last time that I took an aspirin or an ibuprofin. Ibuprofin, Celebrex, etc., do a real number on the GI tract and the liver. They are especially bad for the liver when in the presence of alcohol.

Here is a quote by Bharat B. Aggarwal, author of Healing Spices:
Recently, my colleagues and I at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center compared curcumin [the active ingredient in Turmeric] to anti-inflammatory and pain-killing medications, and to cancer drugs, testing those agents for effectiveness in reducing inflammation and stopping the proliferation of cancer cells. Curcumin proved to be more effective at reducing inflammation than over-the-counter asprin and ibuprofin, and as effective as the more powerful prescription drug, celecoxib (Celebrex). It also proved as effective in thwarting breast cancer cells as tamoxifreen, a drug widely used to stop the recurrence of breast cancer. These results are nothing less than astounding.
-pg. 242
In my opinion, Turmeric is the single best thing you can take for your long term health. I would start with 4-6 caps, three times a day around meal time. When attached to fat molecules, Turmeric will stay in your system longer before being excreted. This result in more absorption. People who are prone to certain kinds of kidney stones have to exercise caution.

2. A good Omega 3 oil (as directed). Don't mega dose on oil since it can tax the liver. I use Black Cumin Seed Oil. It is also a very powerful anti-inflammatory and good for all kinds of other things as well.

3. A Cayenne ointment that can be used topically. This will bring blood and heat to the area which will help warm the joint and mitigate pain.

4. Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2. The K2 is important to prevenct calcification (hardening) of the arteries while taking the D3. I usually take 4,000 iu in the winter and adjust it up if I'm in the middle of flu season. Sometimes don't take it at all in the Summer if I know that I will be out in the sun.

5. Avoid eggs and dairy. These seem to contribute to arthritis.

6. Some people use Apple Cider Vinegar ( Bragg's raw, organic).

7. The use of distilled water is also often recommended. Waste products--like those found around the joints--in the body tend to bond to distilled water and are flushed out. But this takes time.

I think that, if you incorporate some of these into your diet, that the quality of your life--and your rangerly outdoor pursuits--will increase noticeably.

I hope this helps.

The preceding information was presented for educational purposes. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat, heal, cure, etc. Consult a physician for medical problems.

It's a damn shame I feel it necessary to even say this.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I had the pleasure of trekking with my walking staff - a Japanese "jō" - and it had little or nothing to do with my gammy knee. Found it real useful over uneven ground, but walking along on hard trails, the tip kept hitting the ground with every step, the hard oaken wood ringing like a bell. Not too stealthy, I apparently frightened all the dragons, didn't see a one that day...

Where was I? Oh yes, ice up the knee, keeps the swelling down.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.