Hello!

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Forest Walker

Hello!

Post by Forest Walker »

Thought I'd stop by and introduce myself as I signed up yesterday- It's great to find a site dedicated to the ranger and their skills!!

I'm a Brit living in Finland and live in a rural area close to Helsinki. Finland is a sparsley populated country, so I am fortunate to be surrounded by fields and deep forests filled with wildlife; deer, moose, squirrels and hares as well as the odd lynx, bear and wolf. As you can imagine a lot of my free time is spent with our three dogs walking the paths, looking for animals, practicing photography and also foraging for wild herbs (I leave berries and mushrooms for the amateurs ;) ), which are both new hobbies or interests of mine. I've always been a fan of fantasy and wildlife, so combine the two and you have the ranger.

Ranger Skills! I've been a keen martial artist for a few decades, started with the usual traditional styles and then moved into MMA in the mid 90s (Old school NHB!!) and then switched to the Filipino art of Kali after a much needed break! The tomahawk is my weapon of choice, but love swingin' a machete about and endangering myself more than other people. I've dabbled in a bit of archery and that's something I wish to get more involved in this year. May be look into some HEMA too.

Not much into LARPing or SCA, but hoping to learn some martial skills, survival and bushcraft type stuff .
Last edited by Forest Walker on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Hello!

Post by Iodo »

Welcome! Sounds like you live in an amazing place for a ranger :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Forest Walker

Post by Forest Walker »

Iodo wrote:Welcome! Sounds like you live in an amazing place for a ranger :P
Quite honestly....I do!!

But yeah, what was once a passing interest is now a much deeper passion. Well, until it's -25 degrees C and I can't leave the house for fear of dying in a snow drift. :P
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Forest Walker wrote: But yeah, what was once a passing interest is now a much deeper passion. Well, until it's -25 degrees C and I can't leave the house for fear of dying in a snow drift. :P
Wow, -25 is cold, the coldest I have ever experienced is -20. On the plus side, that leaves plenty of time in the winter to work on your kit, if that's what your planning?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

---

Welcome Ranger!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Hi and Welcome !
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Welcome!

Oh, that sounds like a lovely place to tromp! Do you have a photo or two of your one of your haunts by any chance? I'm curious what it looks like over there!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:Do you have a photo or two of your one of your haunts by any chance? I'm curious what it looks like over there!
My sentiments exactly!

Welcome!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Elleth wrote:Welcome!

Oh, that sounds like a lovely place to tromp! Do you have a photo or two of your one of your haunts by any chance? I'm curious what it looks like over there!
When I was in college, I studied Russian language in the then- Soviet Union for a summer. Five universities (Dartmouth, U of Kansas, George Washinton, Michigan State, and one other from the East Coast) were allowed to pick 25 students to go. We flew to Helsinki and stayed at a resort in the countryside outside of Helsinki for a couple of days in preparation for the rest of the time in Russia. On the bus ride from the Helsinki airport to the resort, several of the Michigan contingent started to laugh. When asked, we all noted that it looked like Michigan's Upper Peninsula: glacially exposed rock, pine and birch forest, and small lakes and ponds everywhere.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál