Ruinferil's Journey

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Re: Ruinferil's Journey

Post by Eric C »

I thought I had posted all of this tale thus far. But I found that I have not. These scrolls have been misplaced for a while now. Maybe I can get back to them (this computer was down for over a year and this story was trapped somewhere in its hard drive. :oops: )

Ivrahim had ordered the breaking of camp before the sun peaked over the rim of the earth. He was worried about his master, but he was also glad to be getting away from this land and these Dwarves. Rude and repulsive creatures, he thought. He wanted to move as soon as it was light enough to do so safely. It was not long before the skies lightened a bit. The sun began her ascent at the edge of the landscape in the distant west. There was a shout of alarm in Ivrahim’s native tongue. Turning, he was surprised to see that the road was blocked by wagons. To his left, the gates of Bree were closed tight. There were men on the walls though, watching and waiting. The roads to the north and to the east were also blocked. All were well guarded with armed men. Baraz and his troupe of Dwarves stood with weapons ready. Ivrahim took a few determined steps towards the Dwarves.
“What is the meaning of this, Master Dwarf?” He barked, anger flashing in his eyes. To Baraz, he looked very much like a criminal caught in the act. “Why do you come against me with these men, so arrayed for battle?”
“Ye ‘ave a girl in yer midst that we’ve named as our kin. She an’ ‘er father are very dear to us. While these Breelanders ain’t too fond o’ them rangers, young Ruinferil endeared ‘erself ta them not long ago. They’ll fight ye to the death to get ‘er safe an’ out o’ yer hands.” Baraz’ voice was deep and calm, but there was a threat there.
Ivrahim’s men began to array themselves for battle.
“We’ve no such girl in our midst!” Ivrahim protested. He started to speak more but Baraz cut in.
“Then ye won’t mind if we just take a peak under them veils an’ see who else ye may ‘ave kidnapped along the way.”
“You will do no such thing!” Ivrahim said. “It is against our customs for our women to show their faces to men not their husbands.
“Problem solved!” Baraz cried with a smile. “We’re Dwarves!”
Ivrahim drew his long scimitar and held it at the ready. “If you step toward my party it will be at the peril of your life, Dwarf.”
Baraz seemed to think about it a moment. He looked left, then right in a jerky, comical movement. Tension hung thick in the cool morning air. Suddenly:
“Baruch Khazad!!!” Baraz bellowed loud and strong. The Dwarves charged. Haradrim archers sent arrows flying but Dwarven shields caught them or deflected them. All around, the Breelanders sprang into the fight. Soon, the battle raged through the camp. Women screamed in terror. Men fell dead and wounded all around. Somewhere in there, Baraz knew Ruinferil was held captive.
Ruinferil crawled quicky on her knees and elbows under the wagon. She had taken off her veil as soon as the fighting started. She was about to emerge from the side towards Bree and one of the Haradrim fell dead before her. She nearly screamed. Quickly she backed up and ran into something. A strong hand hoisted her to her feet. She was staring into the angry face of one of Ivrahim’s men. He spoke harsh words she did not understand. His breath stank and was hot on her face. He shoved her forward, but did not let her go. A tall strong Breelander stepped in their path. Ru recognized Barth with his axe held at the ready.
“Let her go, or I’ll split your skull.” Barth growled.
The Southron shoved Ru to the side. She fell to her knees and looked helplessly on as the man charged Barth with his scimitar ready. Barth blocked and arrested the man’s sword with his axe and killed him with a small dagger. He looked quickly at Ruinferil.
“Come, young one. I’ll get you to safety ‘til this is all over.” Ru climbed to her feet. She could feel that her knees were scraped from her fall. She and Barth rushed through the battle towards the gate of Bree. They were almost clear of the battle when Barth spun around.
Ivrahim sprang at Barth. The two fought briefly. Barth swung his axe mightily. Ivrahim blocked with his shield and the haft splintered. Ivrahim pummeled Barth’s head with the hilts of his scimitar. Barth crumpled to the ground. Ru rushed to him. Ivrahim grabbed her.
“You’re not going anywhere but to Far Harad with me!” He said, pulling her away from the fray and toward a horse that stood alone in the field. Suddenly, Baraz and his dwarves stepped into their path. Their bows were drawn and trained on the man.
“Fight’s over, Ivrahim.” Baraz said. “Let ‘er go.”
Ru looked around. Truly the fight was ending. The Haradrim were subdued. Ivrahim wrapped a strong arm around Ru’s throat and pulled her close. With the free hand, he held a knife to her throat.
“The girl and I are leaving.” He said. “Now step aside or I will cut her throat!”
His grip was strong. The heat coming from his body was stifling. Ru’s eyes were filled with tears. She wiped them away. She thought she saw Baraz give the slightest nod at her. She looked hard at the Dwarf.
“Enough have died today. You need not be numbered among ‘em.” Baraz said to Ivrahim. “But yer nae leavin’ with the girl.”
Surely she saw it that time, The Dwarf’s dark eyes were drilling through her. She reached into her sash and grasped the handle of the hidden dagger. Drawing it slightly, she let Baraz see it. He nodded. Dwarven bows seemed to tense in readiness. Ru knew she had to act fast. She had to draw courage. She took a deep breath. In a flash, she drew the dagger and plunged it to the hilts in Ivrahim’s right thigh. The Southroner screamed in pain and loosed his grip. Drawing the dagger from the wound, Ruinferil pulled away and ran. She stumbled and fell as arrows flew over her head. Ivrahim’s dagger hit the ground near her head. He had thrown it at her. Scrambling to her feet, Ru ran to the Dwarves, not looking back until Baraz enveloped her in his strong arms. Ivrahim lay dead, pierced by many arrows.

“Lord Angarth, your daughter, Ruinferil, the fiery huntress is not among the Haradrim.”
At those words, rage and desperation took Angarth. Gilraen dropped her face to her hands, weeping. Elyon did not know what to do. The Elf had more to say, but Angarth did not hear it. “Ru?” Angarth muttered. Then again louder, “Ru?” Then he bolted forward crying loudly, “Ruinferil!”
Ciradan, arrested Angarth by the jerkin and tried to stop him. Suddenly a war horn rent the air from the south, around the bend in the streambed. Angarth stared in horror, thinking they were trapped. Looking around frantically, he saw that none were ready for battle. He began issuing orders.
“Archers, get to the heights! Swordsmen! To me!”
“Father!” Elyon called. “Listen!’ Angarth kept issuing orders to people who were not moving. “Father!” Angarth looked at his son. “Listen! That is no horn of the Haradrim! It is a Dwarven horn. The horn of Baraz!”
Angarth turned to the bend and saw a troupe of Dwarves rounding the corner, Baraz at their head. They had marched hard for five days since the battle at Bree. Barth was numbered with them. His head was bandaged from the blow Ivrahim had given him. His axe haft was poorly splinted together, but carried proudly. Next to Baraz was Ruinferil. Once again wearing her ranging clothes. The Dwarves stopped. Baraz smiled. Ruinferil bolted toward her family. Angarth’s emotion spilled over. He wept openly as Ruinferil reached him and he wrapped his arms around her. Soon, he pushed her away.
“Let me look at you! Are you well? Did they hurt you?” He asked.
“I am well Papa. Mr. Barth and Baraz have taken good care of me.” Her eyes filled with tears. “I was so scared!”
“I know you were.” Angarth comforted, pulling her to his chest and holding her tight.

Not much remains of its telling now. But there is a related tale to be told.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.