Ruinferil's Journey

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Ruinferil's Journey

Post by Eric C »

Well the Lass, Ruinferil, was a bit jealous that Elyon's story was published here, so here's a portion of her tale. It's a bit longer than Elyon's tale so I'll do this in installments if anyone is interested in reading it. We had a few scrapes along the way.

Angarth stood at the window of Ciradan’s home. He had listened to the chieftain’s rebuke for quite long enough, but he still stood clinging to the last threads of his patience. Weighing his words well, he said, “Father, it is too dangerous out there. I’ve been on too many journeys outside of our little village to not know what is out there.”
“Take her to Rivendale!” Ciradan said in exasperation. “Introduce her to Aragorn, to Elrond. Now he’ll give you a warm welcome!”
Angarth sighed heavily, his arms across his chest in defiance. Ciradan eyes went to the scars from the Orc arrows that pierced his son’s flesh two years earlier. Ciradan released a sigh of his own.
“Son, listen to your father. Those short years while you and your siblings were growing up, I was out in the wilds running Orcs and chasing the slightest ghost of a rumor of evil. You and your brother and sister grew up without me. Now you are all that is left of the three. The other two are lost to the world outside, having forsaken our ways.” He searched Angarth’s stern face, then continued. “Don’t make the same mistakes as your father. Take your daughter and go on a journey.” Angarth hung his head in submission. His expression softened. Ciradan added with a mischievous grin, “And stay out of trouble this time!” He gave his son a shot to the arm. Angarth jostled, rolling with the blow. He smiled at the floor, then looked out to see his daughter, a girl of ten summers, running and playing with other children of the village.

Ruinferil took note that her father was once again gathering his gear to leave. She also saw the extra provisions he was preparing. These were most certainly for her brother who went out with him more often than before, now that he was further along in his training and had already proven himself in a fight. She grew very tired of hearing of Elyon’s adventure into Dwarf country a couple years back. All she knew was her father came back with a few more scars. Scars from which Elyon should have protected him if the boy was as great a warrior as the tale made him out to be.
Angarth was careful to keep his secret from Ruinferil. She was the only one in the house who did not know of his intention to take her on a trip. As he thought about it, it was high time she got out of the village and saw the surroundings. She should see the Shire and Bree. She should ride down to Rivendale and see if there was something they could do to serve Aragorn.
Through the week Ruinferil grew bitter and biting toward her brother. They had always gotten along in times past. Now she resented that he had her father’s heart. Oh, if only she could have been a boy! A boy who could ride out and train with her father! She hated Elyon and she hated that she was a girl! Drawing toward the first day of the week, she knew it was near time for Angarth to depart. She pulled away from him as well. Inwardly it pained Angarth, but also he smiled when she was not looking. He anxiously awaited the look on her face when he told her it was she, not Elyon, who would ride with him this time.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: Ruinferil's Journey

Post by Ernildir »

I'm looking forward to the coming installments!

Dirhael, I guess this means you can have the copyright on Lachadan. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ranger of Arthedain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Well you've definitely caught my interest, Eric! :mrgreen: Can't wait to read more of this!
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Oops! I left a line in that research showed shouldn't be there. Theoden wouldn't be born for another 4 years yet, so I had to eliminate that little tidbit.

Anyhoo, thanks for the comments. More to come soon.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, here's the rest of what I have at the moment.

Early on Sunday morning, the family was gathered together to see the travelers off. Elyon was dressed in his usual work clothes. This puzzled Ruinferil. They ate a heavy breakfast. It was quiet around the table, unusually so. Ruinferil hardly picked at her food, resting her head on one hand. She knew her father did not approve of elbows on the table, but this morning she did not care! Angarth seemed oblivious to her demeanor.
Soon the meal was over. Mother and the two children lined up to see their father off. For a long moment, Angarth held his wife close. He turned to Elyon and hugged him briefly.
“Boy, see to the house. Keep the Orcs at bay until I return. Make sure you don’t run out of fire wood.” With that, he shouldered his saddlebags and turned to the door to leave. Ruinferil was baffled. Never did he simply turn away without encouraging words, words of instruction for each of his family members. He had nothing for her? Elyon was staying? What of the extra provisions? She looked around, confused, hurt.
Angarth moved to the door and stopped. He reached out as if to open it. In confusion, he looked over his shoulder at his daughter, who struggled to hide tears.
“Aren’t you coming, or do I have to guard my own back out there?” He asked.
“Wh-what?” Ruinferil was shocked for a moment.
“Aren’t you coming?” Angarth turned and let the saddlebags slide to the floor.
“Who, me?” The girl asked, her eyes wide with hope.
“No, not me, you!” Angarth put his hands on his hips. “Girl, you cannot travel in your sleep clothes! You’re not even dressed! Now hurry along and get into some traveling clothes, get your gear and saddle your horse. That is unless you don’t want to go with your old Dad.”
Ruinferil gasped with excitement. “Papa!”
A look of revelation crossed Angarth’s face. “Oh!” He smacked his head with his palm. “How could I forget?” He looked at his wife, “We forgot to tell her she was going with me! How could we do that?”
Ruinferil ran to her small room. She did not know until she lit the lamp, but Elyon had placed clothing much like her father’s questing clothes on her bed. She dressed quickly, finding a new pair of comfortable boots beside her bed. By the door were her saddlebags already packed for travel.
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

ooh i like it :lol:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

There was some trouble in Bree that may interest you. I'll have to get all of the facts together before I tell the story.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Sounds good. I will hopefully be able to right a bit more of Going South in these upcoming holidays.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Oh! This is fun! I like the old and young pairings that you and Beth are doing. Everyone is getting so good! I think it would be fun to do one myself. Beth has a really good grasp of how the young person feels, and Eric, you have a great grasp of how a father feels, although I notice you have a pretty good grasp of the young person's feelings as well. Good job, sir!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

kaelln wrote: although I notice you have a pretty good grasp of the young person's feelings as well. Good job, sir!

That's 'cus I'm a kid trapped in a 41-year-old body! HELP!!! Let me out!!! :shock: :lol:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, update time. This isn't as much as I had hoped to post this time, but it'll hopefully keep you interested.

It did not take Ruinferil long to get dressed and get her white mare ready for travel. She was so excited that she hardly noticed the cold morning air as she helped her father saddle the horse. Soon Angarth and Ruinferil were saying their goodbyes to Mother and Brother. Elyon gave his sister a tight hug. This always annoyed her and he knew it. But this time, she fell into his embrace, knowing he graciously gave up the opportunity to go with Angarth so that she could go instead.
“Be safe out there, Ru.” Elyon instructed as she pulled away. “It is not an easy job looking after Papa.”
Angarth shot him a playful glare.

Father and daughter rode from the North Downs before the sun greeted them. In a day they reached Fornost where they stayed the night. From there, they struck the Greenway going south toward Bree. The weather was good and traveling was fast. They reached the gates of Bree on the morning of the sixth day from Fornost. The gates had not been open long when the rangers passed through under the observant eye of the last watch of the night. The taller of the two riders threw his gray hood back revealing his long dark hair. There was a smile on his lips that bespoke a tender love, something the Breelanders were not accustomed to seeing from these strange folk. The man dismounted his brown and white horse and turned to the shorter rider. This one threw back his hood and auburn hair spilled from its confines. The night watchmen gasped at the sight of the younger ranger. For he was no boy, but a girl! The man helped the girl from her saddle and the two began leading their horses through the bustling streets.

Ruinferil’s eyes lit up at all of the sights in Bree. She could hear the sound of hammer and anvil ringing somewhere in the town. One shop advertised leather goods. Another was a tailor’s shop. Ruinferil was fascinated by the light blue dress in the window of that shop. Her arm shot out, pointing a finger at the dress. Turning, she spoke to Angarth, “Papa, look at that dress! It’s so adorable! Can we go look at it?”
Angarth gave a sly grin, “But Ru, we can see it from here.”
Her hands came to her hips as she turned full on her father. “Hmmp!” Angarth laughed and turned her toward the shop. They walked together to the shop. She stood admiring the dress for several minutes, taking in every feature. It had a white collar and ruffled trim. A darker blue lace ran up the back to tie the bodice.
“Candies!” An older woman’s voice crackled through the morning air. “Get yer candies here! Local candies, exotic candies. Candies from the Dwarven lands. Candies from the far south! Come and get ‘em folks!”
Ruinferil led her father by the hand to the candy stall. The assortment was staggering. There were chocolates, hard candies, taffies, rock candies, a large variety of candies neatly decorating the woman’s cart in an array of every imaginable color. Ruinferil looked up at the woman who smiled back, greeting her potential customers.
“G’mornin’ young lass.” The peddler croaked. If ya see anything ya like, just let ol’ Martha know. Ya hear?”
Ruinferil nodded, “Yes Ma’am.”
“Ma’am?!” Martha shot back. “Such good manners!” She looked up at Angarth. “Yer daughter, master Ranger?”
“Aye, she is!” Angarth responded with a smile.
“She’s got yer face.”
Angarth winced in pain, “Oh, please! Do not curse the child so!”
Martha cackled, “She’s got good manners too.” Looking at Ruinferil, “Pick out any morsel you would like, and get an extra for yer Pa too.”
After searching the stall with her eyes, Ruinferil chose two sticks of blue rock candy. One she handed to her father and the other she kept. Angarth reached into a pouch on his belt to retrieve a coin for the candies.
“How much? He whispered as Ruinferil popped the candy into her mouth.
“Mmmm! It tastes like honey!” She exclaimed.
Martha waved a dismissive hand. “Please. Let me pay you for them.” Angarth pleaded.
“Nay good sir!” Martha responded, “I will give the first business of the day to …” She made a gesture to heaven searching for some deity to name.
“The Valar!” Angarth filled in with a smile.
“The Valar then!” Said Martha, pointing a boney finger at the Ranger.
“Thank you Ma’am.” Ruinferil said, her mouth turning blue.
“Yes, thank you very much.” Angarth said as they turned to leave.
Father and daughter explored Bree for a while longer before going to the Prancing Pony Inn for some breakfast. Angarth hoped to run into an old Ranger there and find out if there were any surprises awaiting him and his daughter. He had determined they would spend at least one night in Bree, if not two. But there again the sky was beginning to threaten.
The two entered the darkened Inn. All eyes turned immediately toward them. Many scowled. All looked upon the girl at Angarth’s side. His hand rested lightly on her shoulder. Suddenly he was uncomfortable with their stares.
“M-Master Angarth!” Butterbur bellowed, coming forth and wiping his hands on his apron. His eyes, like all the rest, strayed to the girl. “A table and some breakfast for you?”
“Yes, and a room at least for the night. The skies are starting to threaten.” Angarth requested.
“Of course! Of course!” Butterbur led the two Dunedain to a booth in the corner. It was the booth that the Rangers most often used when frequenting the Prancing Pony.
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

i like martha :lol:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Yeah, she's sweet. :roll: Sorry, that was bad. :lol:
Ranger of Arthedain

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Eric C wrote:Yeah, she's sweet. :roll: Sorry, that was bad. :lol:
:lol: Oh how I love puns.

Nice addition, Eric. :) Haha, an up and coming Ranger (Ruinferil) needs to be acquianted with "The Corner". 8)
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ruinferil sat with her back to the wall beside her father. It was a custom he had often spoken of and it stuck out in her mind as she traveled with him. She had noted how he was a different man away from home. He was always watchful, never at ease. But here in the Inn, his awareness was elevated. Butterbur hollered for his waitstaff to see to the new guests and he was off, hurrying away to tend to other business. Soon an attractive young brunette waitress came and took their breakfast order.
Angarth and Ruinferil laughed and talked through breakfast but Angarth’s eyes often swept the great room. He did not like the attention he seemed to be getting from the other patrons. Their darting eyes and muffled speech and gestures of the head were all directed at him.
With breakfast eaten, Ruinferil leaned close to her father. “Papa, I have to go to the umm. . .”
Angarth looked down at his daughter then said, “I’ll walk you there and guard the door for you.”
As the two made their way toward the powder room, Angarth noted how they became surrounded by the other patrons. One big man stood in their path with a wood axe across his chest. Angarth looked up at the man. Without wavering, Angarth said, “Will you be the first to die today good sir?”
“You’re outnumbered, ranger.” The man said in a low voice.
Angarth looked over both shoulders, “I am accustomed to being outnumbered. Yet here I stand still. What game are you playing at?”
The man shot his chin out at Ruinferil. “That little girl there. We want to know who you stole her from.”
Angarth lowered his head. His hand went to his sword. “This is my daughter, and I will fight any man who tries to touch her.”
Butterbur stood with his mouth agape for a moment. Snapping it shut, he hurried around the bar and into the mob. “Now, now! Let us all just calm down and let cooler heads prevail!” Moving in beside Angarth, it was then that he noticed the ranger’s hand upon his sword. Butterbur placed his hand on top of the ranger’s. “Please! Stay your blade!” Looking at the big man, he said, “Barth, put that axe down! Besides, the ranger here has a nicer axe than you can imagine. It’s of Dwarven make.” Looking nervously at Angarth, he said, “Isn’t that right Master Angarth?” Angarth gave no sign of answering.
“Per’aps.” Said Barth, “But mine’ll split his skull just fine, I’ll wager.” At these words, Ruinferil clung ever so tightly to Angarth’s side. Angarth’s chin shot up and he looked straight into Barth’s dark eyes.
“I’ve eaten meaner things than you for breakfast.” Angarth challenged, throwing Butterbur’s hand away from his own.
Either way, you ain’t goin’ any farther with that little girl ‘til we get to the bottom o’ this.” Someone said. “Go get the constable.” Somebody left quickly to pull the constable out of bed and drag him to the Pony to sort out the issue.