Invitation to Tharbad

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Invitation to Tharbad

Post by Ringulf »

I have been casting about for a little while thinking about setting up an alternate envirement for us to use here that could be linked to the Town of Bree and using our characters with a little hitch so that instead of being in Bree we could set them for whatever reason we choose in the midst of Tharbad before it's destruction. I just thought that this might allow us to try our hands at some stories that might invight a slightly new twist and setting.

I got the idea when I was looking over some of my older Robert lynn Asprin, Theives World series.
We could set it up the same way that he did. For those of you not familiar to this series here is a small write up on the concept that would work as well for Tharbad as it did for Asprin and Sanctuary.

"For those who are unfamiliar with it, Thieves World was/is a setting developed by the author Robert Asprin for a rather successful series of heroic fantasy anthologies. The idea was to create a common, consistent backdrop, then invite a wide variety of authors to write stories using that setting, but exploring their own characters and interests within it. The City of Sanctuary, and the Vulgar Unicorn, inn and tavern in the heart of the Maze, are some of the results of that effort."

I used to play a lot of MERP by I.C.E. and they had a module called "The Thieves of Tharbad" That we could use the maps and some of the info from in order to create the setting I even have a few scenarios we might explore if any of you are interested.

Let me know what you think and who would like to be included in the party of Rangers that would either go South if Dunadain, or North if Gondorian. It would be a very interesting scenario on almost nuetral territory if we got Gandalf involved or Arigorn send out a call to Rangers in both Kingdoms to meet together for a series of missions.
Last edited by Ringulf on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Invitation to Tharbad

Post by caedmon »

Nice idea. When coming up with the forum for the Prancing Pony, I almost went with location only mentioned once in the Trilogy, the Forsaken Inn. According to Aragorn it was a day's ride east of Bree. I thought it might be a little more out of the way and better for clandestine ranger gatherings. But Tharbad seems a bit more cosmopolitan and better for a mix of peoples.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

If you have played any Lotro, the Forsaken Inn is actually a pretty well fleshed out locale and I even started my story there for Ringulf on the Prancing Pony fiction story. I think that is a great inn to work with out in the lonelands but still close to Rhuador and Rivendell. I think that Tharbad would be a more gritty kind of situation and the big city envirement could be an interesting challenge and change of pace from the typical sylvan setting we overly rely on for the Bushcraft aspect of being a Ranger. I like to see the ranger using whits and social skills as well as woodcraft and you need some population for that.
I could most definitely see Ringulf, Fox and Mirimaran sitting around a gritty tavern in Tharbad on a discreet mission. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

(Warning: Necropost Ahead)

The Forsaken Inn - I have written so many collaborative roleplays based on that inn. One was the Dunedain Rangers using it as a way-stop and a gathering place for occasional meetings since it was deserted and Barliman Butterbar frowned upon 'them rangers' when they were in the Prancing Pony Inn. I like Tharbad as well. Wrote a collab RP there postwar where the city was a 'boomtown when the bridge was being rebuilt with the aid of the dwarves.

I was debating posting a rather long and detailed collaborative story my wife and I wrote based on the Kin Strife of Gondor here.
Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor