Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

User avatar
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:36 pm
Location: Alberta Canada: The Northlands

Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Rifter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:06 pm

I had been wondering if there were any ranger oaths that existed in books. I don't believe there are any in any Tolkien books or sources and there is one within the Nights Watch in GOT. I had been wondering if there were any thoughts to putting one together here with input that more serious members or perhaps more eccentric members may want to undertake within reason?

I'm not saying this has to happen or any such thing. Just curious how many other members here thought about doing something like this. I don't think we all own a replica of Aragorn's Anduril sword to swear it on or anything but it would be interesting to hear what other members thought of this. Who knows...we play our cards right we may end up with a special handshake too :)
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
User avatar
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain
Posts: 3501
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:20 am

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Peter Remling » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:55 am

Sounds interesting. No celibacy clauses though ! :P
User avatar
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:36 pm
Location: Alberta Canada: The Northlands

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Rifter » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:05 am

We're rangers, not saints
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Straelbora
Haeropada
Posts: 898
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Straelbora » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:49 am

I've often wondered who was 'allowed' to be a Ranger. We do Ranger Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves, but I get the impression from the books that not only were Rangers limited to Men, but those of Numenorean blood, either through the Northern Kingdom of Arnor, becoming the Rangers of the North, or those from the Southern Kingdom of Gondor, becoming the Rangers of Ithilien.

In some ways, it would make sense- Druids, the priests of the ancient Celtic world, were taken from the noble classes.

Assuming being initiated as a Ranger were something open only to select men of Numenorean blood (no indications of women Rangers in Tolkien's writings, that I know of), I would think it would be something trained for since childhood, and at some kind of early teen initiation ceremony, or perhaps at the end of an early adulthood probationary period, there would be an oath of some sort.

In the alternative, and I think more pleasing to our modern sensibilities, any person on the side of good, regardless of Race or sex, would be welcome as a Ranger. As such, again, I think an oath ceremony makes sense, as does swearing 'upon' something- a sword, ring or other sanctified item. And in Celtic, Anglo-Saxon and Norse cultures, there were often tokens given for the oath- a ring, bracelet or armband (like the tradition of the wedding ring).

I would love to have someone not only put together an oath (maybe a 'pure' one for Gondor and one slightly altered to reflect that in the North, there is no longer a kingdom to protect), but either a ring or armband design (the former might be too conspicuous for a group who are trying to keep a low profile) as the token of the oath. I'm assuming for the Rangers of the North, it would incorporate the seven pointed star, and maybe some other Numenorean iconography- winged helms, etc.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
User avatar
Mirimaran
Thangailhir
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Mirimaran » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:42 pm

This reminds me of how Ring-Giver and Lord are so connected! I think this is a great idea. For myself, I always imagine Rangers gathering at full moons, since even the light of the Moon can harm Orcs, to hold their secret meetings, and I am sure initiations. I would think for the Rangers of the North it would have something to do with the lost Kingdom, something sworn by the King's Guard from that time, I would think. That oath would bind Ranger to Ranger, and the Ranger to the land. I also think that Fornost would be an almost sacred place to them as well.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
User avatar
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:36 pm
Location: Alberta Canada: The Northlands

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Rifter » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Interesting. Because we're dealing with an actual world issue though obviously Hobbits and such aren't going to be here so it is somewhat restricted to men. However I'm more then ok with cultures and women if they'd like to. There's different levels of fandom for what we do here. Some just like to write and bush craft, others do the costume and kit elements. For some it's an entire persona. I found this that the web series being made is using

http://therangers.mymiddleearth.com/ranger-creed-oath/

Would we want the ranger oath strictly designed for Gondor or LOTR items. Or do what the above link has done and open it up a bit. I thought the idea of swearing upon a sword would be great. But we don't all live near each other so we can't exactly gather and do one fealty oath upon the sword of Elessar or anything. I did find that there are pretty easy quality and cost rings of Barahair on eBay. While we're not decedents of Gondor in reality we could all wear that ring as some are really cheap and if they break easy to replace. Thoughts on that?
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Straelbora
Haeropada
Posts: 898
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Straelbora » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:10 pm

Rifter wrote:Interesting. Because we're dealing with an actual world issue though obviously Hobbits and such aren't going to be here so it is somewhat restricted to men. However I'm more then ok with cultures and women if they'd like to. There's different levels of fandom for what we do here. Some just like to write and bush craft, others do the costume and kit elements. For some it's an entire persona. I found this that the web series being made is using

http://therangers.mymiddleearth.com/ranger-creed-oath/

Would we want the ranger oath strictly designed for Gondor or LOTR items. Or do what the above link has done and open it up a bit. I thought the idea of swearing upon a sword would be great. But we don't all live near each other so we can't exactly gather and do one fealty oath upon the sword of Elessar or anything. I did find that there are pretty easy quality and cost rings of Barahair on eBay. While we're not decedents of Gondor in reality we could all wear that ring as some are really cheap and if they break easy to replace. Thoughts on that?


If rings, I think the Ring of Barahir is supposed to be unique and denote the heir of the royal line.

I like the idea of a seven pointed star, with some Celtic knot work.

Here's an expensive one (about $100): http://www.moonstone-jewelry.com/celtic ... g-14k.html

And here's one for under $20: http://irishring.org/category/celtic-knot-rings
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
User avatar
Ringulf
Naugothrain
Posts: 2411
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Ringulf » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:22 pm

Mirimaran wrote:This reminds me of how Ring-Giver and Lord are so connected! I think this is a great idea. For myself, I always imagine Rangers gathering at full moons, since even the light of the Moon can harm Orcs, to hold their secret meetings, and I am sure initiations. I would think for the Rangers of the North it would have something to do with the lost Kingdom, something sworn by the King's Guard from that time, I would think. That oath would bind Ranger to Ranger, and the Ranger to the land. I also think that Fornost would be an almost sacred place to them as well.

Ken


Fornost or Anuminas. I am not sure if any of the folks on the boards have seen Annuminas as depicted in Lotro but it is a vast and hauntingly beautiful city on Lake Evendim (correction). I will try to post some pictures so you can get a feel for it's beauty.
Last edited by Ringulf on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Ranger, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We’ll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed!
User avatar
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:36 pm
Location: Alberta Canada: The Northlands

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Rifter » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:13 pm

The rings look nice but also are pretty common. I had thought Barahir since we're all Rangers and most Rangers would have followed Elessar. It's not HIS ring it's a copy of it so that Rangers could tell one another from say a general well garbed Ren Faire or convention goer
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Straelbora
Haeropada
Posts: 898
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Straelbora » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Rifter wrote:The rings look nice but also are pretty common. I had thought Barahir since we're all Rangers and most Rangers would have followed Elessar. It's not HIS ring it's a copy of it so that Rangers could tell one another from say a general well garbed Ren Faire or convention goer


I guess in part it's because I think the Ring of Barahir that they made for the films is kind of ugly, and the more affordable knock-offs are even uglier.

There's someone on Etsy (tiedyejedi) who has all sorts of Middle-Earth stuff. There are necklaces and earrings that could easily also be made into rings that are glass with images inside like the Tree of Gondor, 'All those who wander are not lost' - including in Dwarvish and Tengwar, etc. Could be we could get a custom order of something there.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/tiedyejedi?page=2
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
User avatar
Ringulf
Naugothrain
Posts: 2411
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Central Florida
Contact:

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Ringulf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:36 am

Ringulf wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:This reminds me of how Ring-Giver and Lord are so connected! I think this is a great idea. For myself, I always imagine Rangers gathering at full moons, since even the light of the Moon can harm Orcs, to hold their secret meetings, and I am sure initiations. I would think for the Rangers of the North it would have something to do with the lost Kingdom, something sworn by the King's Guard from that time, I would think. That oath would bind Ranger to Ranger, and the Ranger to the land. I also think that Fornost would be an almost sacred place to them as well.

Ken


Fornost or Annuminas. I am not sure if any of the folks on the boards have seen Annuminas as depicted in Lotro but it is a vast and hauntingly beautiful city on Lake Evendim (correction). I will try to post some pictures so you can get a feel for it's beauty.


So a few scenic shots of Annuminas the one and only Capitol of the Kingdom of Arnor and the cradle of Dunadain society before The wrack and ruin of Angmar's hordes. In the third age, a lonely, windswept ruin of cracked white marble and the vague shapes of a once noble city.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Hey Ranger you just slew a Horde of orcs, were are you going for your anitiation cerimony?

"I"m going to Annuminas!"
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Ranger, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We’ll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed!
User avatar
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:36 pm
Location: Alberta Canada: The Northlands

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Rifter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:40 am

The ETSY person might be an idea. I didn't mind the ring from the films but a more specialized one would be nice even just the silver star on a plain band would be nice
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Straelbora
Haeropada
Posts: 898
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:00 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Straelbora » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:56 pm

Ringulf wrote:
Ringulf wrote:
Mirimaran wrote:This reminds me of how Ring-Giver and Lord are so connected! I think this is a great idea. For myself, I always imagine Rangers gathering at full moons, since even the light of the Moon can harm Orcs, to hold their secret meetings, and I am sure initiations. I would think for the Rangers of the North it would have something to do with the lost Kingdom, something sworn by the King's Guard from that time, I would think. That oath would bind Ranger to Ranger, and the Ranger to the land. I also think that Fornost would be an almost sacred place to them as well.

Ken


Fornost or Annuminas. I am not sure if any of the folks on the boards have seen Annuminas as depicted in Lotro but it is a vast and hauntingly beautiful city on Lake Evendim (correction). I will try to post some pictures so you can get a feel for it's beauty.


Nice. I'm afraid if I started playing LotRO, I'd disappear from the real world.

So a few scenic shots of Annuminas the one and only Capitol of the Kingdom of Arnor and the cradle of Dunadain society before The wrack and ruin of Angmar's hordes. In the third age, a lonely, windswept ruin of cracked white marble and the vague shapes of a once noble city.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Hey Ranger you just slew a Horde of orcs, were are you going for your anitiation cerimony?

"I"m going to Annuminas!"
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
User avatar
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê
Posts: 2009
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:26 am
Location: in the Angle; New England

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Elleth » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:11 pm

Nice. I'm afraid if I started playing LotRO, I'd disappear from the real world.


Hah! Yeah, I understand that. It is beautiful - I quit after a week b/c the "walk 50 feet, fight the critter. walk 50 feet, fight another critter" MMO model got exasperating quick.
If they had a sight-seers subscription, I'd be all over it, at least for a month or two. :)

Regarding the token after an oath... would not the existing ranger star brooch be perfect for that?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
User avatar
Mirimaran
Thangailhir
Posts: 2108
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Postby Mirimaran » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Elleth wrote:

Regarding the token after an oath... would not the existing ranger star brooch be perfect for that?


I agree, I think that would be the perfect thing to give to the newly commissioned Ranger.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"

Return to “The Bard's Stage”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests