Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Ranger oaths and other items of interest

Post by Straelbora »

Elleth wrote:
Nice. I'm afraid if I started playing LotRO, I'd disappear from the real world.
Hah! Yeah, I understand that. It is beautiful - I quit after a week b/c the "walk 50 feet, fight the critter. walk 50 feet, fight another critter" MMO model got exasperating quick.
If they had a sight-seers subscription, I'd be all over it, at least for a month or two. :)

Regarding the token after an oath... would not the existing ranger star brooch be perfect for that?

Derp. Yeah.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Some may not want a broach on their cloaks. I've seen some move it to their quivers. With a specific item and where it's worn it leaves no mystery if the person is one of us or nay. Just a thought though
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I like the star brooch idea too, it is the only one you could truly say is documented when looking at the grey company, not that Gondorian rangers could not have something a bit different and of course Araluen rangers have their Bronze oak leaf through apprenticeship, a silver oak leaf when they graduate from apprentice and a gold oak leaf upon retirement. Where you put them is entirely up to you.
I had mine on my dwarfy cap for a bit and put t on my Helm when I wear it. otherwise it stays on cloak or hooded mantle. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Ok, so a lot of us have different ideas there. Maybe something better to focus on would be the Ranger oath. That way that could be made more uniform then the ring or star as it's easier
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Rifter wrote:Ok, so a lot of us have different ideas there. Maybe something better to focus on would be the Ranger oath. That way that could be made more uniform then the ring or star as it's easier
One presumes it would be in the speech of ancient Numenor, and not the Common Tongue.
Hávamál
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Again though, I am looking at one that could covers rangers as a whole not just one section of an authors lore on them. I'm not a Numenorian, none of us are so I won't be taking an oath as one, however protecting common folk and other aspects, that can appeal to all cultures.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

It seems we all have different ideas in mind and the idea of what you feel appropriate will resonate with you, I think it would be great for each of us to write down our own "Oath of Fealty" in our own words and say them to whatever Captain, King or Diety we feel is appropriate.
I feel like at this point in my life I know who I would lay my life down for and who I would swear to, to uphold that.
When I became a Boy Scout I did not know enough about this or any other world to fully understand what I was swearing to, so I cheerfuly made my oath which was broad and well grounded so I never had a reason to regret it. I know this is fantasy, but even in clubs and groups nowadays I tend to be very serious about my word.
I am all for an oath and a token to remember it by.
It should in my mind be personal, can certainly be shared with brothers and sisters of like mind and heart, not so sure it needs to be a uniform one.
I think it would be very special for each of us to share, as we see fit, what our Oaths would be. If you have one in mind Rifter lead the way! If anyone feels particularly drawn to one or anothers then I am sure it's author would be happy to allow a brother or sister to share it.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Stormraven »

Some of you of course are already familiar with this and to many it may not apply. We use it in our company although we have changed it somewhat to reflect the Fourth Age changes but this was Pippin's oath to Denethor II :
The old man laid the sword along his lap, and Pippin put his hand to the hilt, and said slowly after Denethor:
‘Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor, and to the Lord and Steward of the realm, to speak and to be silent, to do and to let be, to come and to go, in need or plenty, in peace or war, in living or dying, from this hour henceforth, until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world end. So say I, Peregrin son of Paladin of the Shire of the Halflings.’
And this do I hear, Denethor son of Ecthelion, Lord of Gondor, Steward of the High King, and I will not forget it, nor fail to reward that which is given: fealty with love, valour with honour, oath-breaking with vengeance.’ Then Pippin received back his sword and put it in its sheath.
Changes we have made is in place of "Gondor" we say "the Reunited Kingdom" and "Steward" we place "King".
Now I would suppose that there may have also been an oath similar to this that the Rangers of Ithilien perhaps made to their Captain for we know that the Rangers enforced specific laws of Gondor such as not allowing one to live who had come in the proximity of Henneth Annun and Faramir had made specific rules concerning not harming wildlife in Ithilien without need - of course these may have only been "rules" that would not have needed an oath. But this is an interesting thread and I'm curious as to what your fertile minds come up with.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ringulf wrote:It seems we all have different ideas in mind and the idea of what you feel appropriate will resonate with you, I think it would be great for each of us to write down our own "Oath of Fealty" in our own words and say them to whatever Captain, King or Diety we feel is appropriate.
I feel like at this point in my life I know who I would lay my life down for and who I would swear to, to uphold that.
When I became a Boy Scout I did not know enough about this or any other world to fully understand what I was swearing to, so I cheerfuly made my oath which was broad and well grounded so I never had a reason to regret it. I know this is fantasy, but even in clubs and groups nowadays I tend to be very serious about my word.
It should in my mind be personal, can certainly be shared with brothers and sisters of like mind and heart, not so sure it needs to be a uniform one.
I think it would be very special for each of us to share, as we see fit, what our Oaths would be. If you have one in mind Rifter lead the way! If anyone feels particularly drawn to one or anothers then I am sure it's author would be happy to allow a brother or sister to share it.
When I was sworn in as an attorney in the state of Michigan, part of the oath was, "I will abstain from all offensive personality."
Hávamál
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Straelbora wrote:
Ringulf wrote:It seems we all have different ideas in mind and the idea of what you feel appropriate will resonate with you, I think it would be great for each of us to write down our own "Oath of Fealty" in our own words and say them to whatever Captain, King or Diety we feel is appropriate.
When I was sworn in as an attorney in the state of Michigan, part of the oath was, "I will abstain from all offensive personality."
And insofar as I have seen, you have always upheld your word Good Straelbora, I hope I have done the same, I would not seek to offend by my words nor contribute aught but reason to my Brothers and Sisters.

(Unless I am just being silly in which case all fetters are flown) :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ringulf wrote:
Straelbora wrote:
And insofar as I have seen, you have always upheld your word Good Straelbora, I hope I have done the same, I would not seek to offend by my words nor contribute aught but reason to my Brothers and Sisters.

(Unless I am just being silly in which case all fetters are flown) :mrgreen:
My wife might disagree about the abstention from offensive personality....

Actually, the MI attorney swearing in oath has some nice points, considering that lawyers are called 'esquire' (shield bearer) and the notion that they are 'champions' (in the original sense of the word- a fighter on the field (champ in French)- in the place of the person who couldn't fight for himself.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm):

I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Michigan;

I will maintain the respect due to courts of justice and judicial officers;

I will not counsel or maintain any suit or proceeding which shall appear to me to be unjust, nor any defense except such as I believe to be honestly debatable under the law of the land;

I will employ for the purpose of maintaining the causes confided to me such means only as are consistent with truth and honor, and will never seek to mislead the judge or jury by any artifice or false statement of fact or law;

I will maintain the confidence and preserve inviolate the secrets of my client, and will accept no compensation in connection with my client's business except with my client's knowledge and approval;

I will abstain from all offensive personality, and advance no fact prejudicial to the honor or reputation of a party or witness, unless required by the justice of the cause with which I am charged;

I will never reject, from any consideration personal to myself, the cause of the defenseless or oppressed, or delay any cause for lucre or malice;

I will in all other respects conduct myself personally and professionally in conformity with the high standards of conduct imposed upon members of the bar as conditions for the privilege to practice law in this State."
Hávamál
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I've been reading the ranger apprentice series and am on to book 2 so far. I see there are sellers and makers of silver oakleaves online. Has anyone thought of us Rangers adopting that same necklace? or maybe there is one we can craft for users of this site so we know eachother. We've talked about the star on quivers and cloaks but maybe a necklace?
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Personally, I'd love a "ranger star" pendant. Might be worth looking into designing something and seeing if a jeweler could cast it.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I like it
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Rifter wrote: ... I had thought Barahir since we're all Rangers and most Rangers would have followed Elessar. It's not HIS ring it's a copy of it so that Rangers could tell one another from say a general well garbed Ren Faire or convention goer.
This is ironic, I literally just purchased a ring of Barahir about a week ago.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.