After so long at home...

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

After so long at home...

Post by Greg »

...you feel a pull to the wild. You feel drawn outside; to don the cloak and to buckle on a sword again.

A ranger performs his duty out of necessity. He does not enjoy war, but there comes a certain appreciation for the solace, and the responsibility. Time spent at the hearth, at the pony, in the presence of others...it does not lose its appeal. Still, there is always that pull.

Now, in the dead of winter, we are all at the hearth. The fire is burning low, we have eaten our fill, and the last embers fight to keep out the chill that would otherwise invade. At times like this, there is often that pull.

This forum, even, to a degree, has quieted. In earlier 2015, we had one of our most productive and active periods in the forum's online history. Clearly, we all were responding to the pull.

Today, I slowly began assembling a box. In the bottom, some assorted foodstuffs. On top of that, some carefully folded wools and linens. Atop these, a pair of high leather boots, which fit me rather well, and a large seax I'm incredibly fond of. When the box was full, I laid a sword in its shabby, worn scabbard across the top, alongside a bow and a quiver full of ash fletched shafts. A bedroll with more supplies and tools is leaning against it, and the neat pile lies at my feet as I type. It has been too long...I can no longer ignore the pull.

When my family moved back out to California, I had many plans in mind for donning the cloak and sword, getting out in it, being a part of it. None of them managed to happen, for various reasons I needn't trouble you with. I have spent seven months under a roof, and don't have the excuse of saying it was all during the frozen months of a winter, or even in a place where winter disrupts being out-of-doors, for that matter. Still, there has always been that pull.

Looking down at my feet, at the gear, at the time invested...there is a certain anticipation that cannot be defined by "let's go camping". Someone outside our little community would not understand; they couldn't understand. This anticipation cannot be stopped now. It has begun, and soon...very soon, the box will be opened.

Are you feeling the pull?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: After so long at home...

Post by Mirimaran »

Beautifully put, Greg. I am in worse shape than you, my kit and gear is now spread out in boxes, I feel more like a Ranger who tarried too long in winter quarters. Physically I feel beat down, and age is catching up with me, as I turn 50 this coming summer. Even my writing has stalled. Frustrating to a point, as the worries of this world overshadow the things I would rather be doing. But still...yes, I know that pull.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I confess, mostly I'm enjoying the hearth this time of year. :mrgreen:
The little window between Christmas and early spring is comforting respite from the constant all day / all weekend work of maintaining both job and farm chores. I finally get a chance to work on projects long delayed, so that's where my attention has been.

But I confess, the bare trees past the snow-covered pasture do have a call.
Some day soon. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

This week has been frustrating and enjoyable for various reasons--enjoyable because the snow days mean I can stay home reading and working, and don't have to venture into the city for classes, but also frustrating because I am therefore unable to get my field hours logged. In such cases I must yield to Nature's hand, and remind myself that I'm not missing out on school requirements through any fault of my own (it's not my fault all the districts and universities are closed)!

I did suit up yesterday in my wool and buckskin, pack on back, spear in hand, felt boots on feet, and spent the evening on a ~2 mile hike, sliding about on the frozen pond for a bit, before following critter tracks around the pastures, and then cutting along the hillside to get back home. I saw tons of rabbit tracks (and one live fellow whom I tailed for a spell), what I believe are deer mice tracks (dainty and very cute!), and wound up following a winding coyote's path.
When I go out today or tomorrow, (after I yet again repatch my leather shoes) I am going to try wrapping some cordage around my feet for some traction, because walking on greased leather is treacherous on snowy slopes!

In the meantime, I am working my way through Hammond & Scull's LotR A Reader's Companion, which is certainly interesting but I'm afraid that I haven't found much that I didn't already know. They are clearly not writing with our interests in mind, but it has been useful in filling in a few blanks, especially in dates and travel times.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Mirimaran wrote:Beautifully put, Greg. I am in worse shape than you, my kit and gear is now spread out in boxes, I feel more like a Ranger who tarried too long in winter quarters. Physically I feel beat down, and age is catching up with me, as I turn 50 this coming summer. Even my writing has stalled. Frustrating to a point, as the worries of this world overshadow the things I would rather be doing. But still...yes, I know that pull.

Ken
I just turned 51 last month. What I've found is the best way to keep age at arms length is to keep active. I had a great shock last summer, when one of my best friends died at age 52- a blood clot in his leg caused a fatal heart attack. That made me rethink some of my behavior, in part, because you never know how much time you have. My mother is 86 and has had things like a compound fracture in her femur at age 79. She didn't think she was going to live much past 65. But I know it's hard. It's easier to sit in front of a TV or computer than get out and do things in the wild. It's easier to have second helpings when most of us live with, essentially, a limitless supply of food.

My friend's death caused me to really question my doctor at my annual physical. I was pleased to hear him tell me that basic functions, like my lung capacity and heart condition, are better than most of his patients 20 years younger than me. But I still need to lose 50 pounds, and it ain't happening here. Guess I'll go unload those log pieces from my truck and get to splitting firewood.

Let the pull take you.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I too can at times feel pretty low. I'm the only Ranger type out here and truthfully put I'm not half as in depth as a lot of you. I don't get to do trips and camps because frankly while were a solitary group if I don't have a group to share it I really don't get the enjoyment. Closest is having LARPERS and local re-enactors invite me to things and while I like the whole 'known through the land' type deal...its hard so I don't make knives or new kit, I wear pretty basic kit apart from the Aragorn thing for Cons here and in spring summer its VERY hard not to want to wander but without that ally beside me I'm really almost just making it worse for myself because it makes me want more.

I want to make a new jerkin, get a new bow, arrows, a new under shirt but just don't have the drive sadly.....I really hope that this will change for me but one can only really do their best to keep morale up...an occasional film or song I hear might get me back in the mood but not until summer is it really a driving force for me. I do wish I had more fellow rangers to help inspire me to a point. An actual guild here would be nice
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Cabin Fever affects everyone, even those of us who don't leave in a cabin.

I was on vacation two weeks ago and did almost nothing, just not motivated. I have done a few things since then on days off and have made a plan for a new leather project.

I'm a older than all the previous posters and if I can get motivated so can you. Start by making a plan. If you want to get out in the woods, do so, it doesn't matter if you go in garb or not, just pick a day and go. If a long term project is your thing, pick one out make plans and start. If you need materials and don't have the cash handy, start with an aspect that you have materials for.

Even making the plans will mentally put you in the right direction.

As far as not working on your kit goes, none of us originally knew each other and most had some kit aspect done and other irons in the fire. You're not making a kit for the approval of others, you do it for yourself.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I feel the pull. I am a hobbit at heart, truth be told - I like my fireside, my cozy home, and my six-meals-a-day-if-I-can-manage-it :mrgreen:

But I feel the pull. And I think I'm quite ready for another adventure.

We all stagnate in one way or another at some point - and I certainly have in many ways. I know I'm still young, but I do turn 30 this year, and that's kind of an eye-opener for me. I'm not a kid anymore, no matter how I feel inside, so being an "adult" has really started to take precedence in many ways. I'm still hardly what most people would consider "responsible," and very far from what anyone would consider "successful," but in many ways I find I have to fight to retain my childlike wonder, and my youthful vigor. I've been at a steady job for a while now, which is great on one hand, but on the other, it's not at all active, and I am currently in just about the worst shape I have ever been in my life.

But these things are all fluid, in some way, and I'm working at it. Before I did my recent trek with Greg, I hadn't geared up in a loooooooong time. Heck, I hadn't even gone to an SCA event or put on my Captain Jack Sparrow costume in literally months. I honestly think this may have been the longest I've gone without donning some kind of costume since I was about twelve. But then Greg came through town, and that really sparked something in me. Our hike was an absolute blast (even if, looking at the pictures, I realize even more just how much weight I need to lose), and it has encouraged me greatly. I had already planned a winter ranger hike with some locals for the end of the month, but after this last Monday, I find myself much more motivated than I was before - seems it was just what I needed! It may be winter, but that doesn't mean I have to hibernate!

Rifter - I've been there myself. I live in Colorado, which is arguably the "outdoorsy" capital of the US, and yet, I couldn't find anyone to range with. But I started a Facebook group for rangers in my area, and even though it didn't take off right away, eventually it started to gain some steam, and after I shared the pics of my trek with Greg in a few other strategic spots on Facebook, it has sort of exploded, so it gives me hope! I'm sure there are people around your area who would be willing to go wandering as Dunedain now and again, the key is finding them. There's plenty of crossover with reenactors, ren-faire types, LARPers, etc. so maybe you can try recruiting? Otherwise, anytime you happen to find yourself down in Colorado, you're welcome to come range with me! Until then, I hope you find the motivation to keep doing what you love!

For my part, I know I will be following the pull even more in the near future - and I'm trying hard to be ready for it.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

I'm not sure how I'm missed this post. This is a topic that speaks straight to the soul for our kind. I always feel the pull. My neatly stowed kit sits in a wooden box by my chair. Often times before leaving for what I know will be a stressful day at work I touch and handle bits of it, as though it were a talisman or a prayer. I've always been a man who loves solace and solitude. I keep a memorandum notebook in my back pocket at all times that is mostly devoted to my rangering activities. When I have a dull moment at work I pull out this small battered book and sketch on a project or leaf through its crumpled pages, my mind miles away.
I guess I'm lucky in that I usually get three day weekends and have plenty of time to range. At almost 31 and for all the injuries and stitches I've had, I'm in fantastic shape to follow the pull. Sometimes alone sometimes with a companion I'm always eager to reach my true home in the woods. It's as if over every hill and around every bend you hope to find an answer to a secret.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”