A Map of my home range.

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: A Map of my home range.

Post by Elleth »

Oh that's lovely! Fantastic work!

Out of curiosity, have you looked into the "Map of True Names" project?

http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/kalimedia.htm

It translates place names from around you- which gives a wonderful fantasy / quaint countryside feel to your locale.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
SierraStrider
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by SierraStrider »

kleenur wrote:Ah ha! Well, though I don't understand most of those words, I DO understand that it involves some sort of GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) Sorcery! I've been looking for an excuse to really try diving into GIMP, and this seems like a good one. I would also guess that is wouldn't take terribly ling once you get the hang of it. How cool would it be to print out and "age" one of these maps every time you go a rangering, or even to generate one of these with a marked location for an adventure! Hmm, this could be a very deep rabbit hole for me! Thanks!
Most of the complex stuff happens before GIMP--sourcing, equalizing and rendering the digital elevation model being the biggest hurdle.

As for the second part, it's hard to age printed maps because most printers use water soluble ink, so when you immerse the map in a tea bath or similar, the map dissolves!

A color laser printer makes this much more doable, but those are pretty expensive.

It is pretty quick to do the actual tracing--even a map of this size takes less than a day.
Elleth wrote:Oh that's lovely! Fantastic work!

Out of curiosity, have you looked into the "Map of True Names" project?

http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/int/kalimedia.htm

It translates place names from around you- which gives a wonderful fantasy / quaint countryside feel to your locale.
I have seen such things. It's always really cool to see what people thought about places when they first encountered them, especially when they've changed so much and (here in the US, at least) so quickly.
kleenur
Wanderer

Post by kleenur »

Most of the complex stuff happens before GIMP--sourcing, equalizing and rendering the digital elevation model being the biggest hurdle.

As for the second part, it's hard to age printed maps because most printers use water soluble ink, so when you immerse the map in a tea bath or similar, the map dissolves!

A color laser printer makes this much more doable, but those are pretty expensive.

It is pretty quick to do the actual tracing--even a map of this size takes less than a day.
What do you use to render them if not GIMP?
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

-J.R.R Tolkien
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

kleenur wrote:What do you use to render them if not GIMP?
Dedicated mapping programs, primarily QGIS. GIMP is just a image manipulator; it can't do the 3D rendering of the original model.
SierraStrider

Post by SierraStrider »

Thought I'd post a somewhat refined third draft at a higher resolution.