DUNEDAIN STAR BROACHES!!

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: DUNEDAIN STAR BROACHES!!

Post by Eledhwen »

Sent 60.00 just a few minutes ago.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I am just going to need my one replacement Bronze if that is ok, let me know the price on that and I will pay pall it to you this weekend if that works. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

$20 each no matter which metal

And I am going to track received payments on the other thread where peeps ordered

http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... =25&t=2067
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

stupid question

Post by RikJohnson »

I grasp the idea and such, but can people post the reference for these?
I cannot imagine sneaking through the woods to be revealed when a stray sunbeam shines off your silver broach.

I was at the swap meet today, found nothing, BUT at a thrift store I occasionally visit, I found a set of brass candle-holders with the base EXACTLY the same design as shown in the pics on this thread.

I, of course, bought them, cut the candle holder free and will make and solder a pin to the back. Thus having two brass broaches!

cost of purchase ... $2.50.
Plus a few minutes work with a saw and file.
And whatever time it takes to make the pin on the reverse.....
... coins have an obverse and reverse. Are broaches the same or do we use 'front' and 'back'?
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: stupid question

Post by Straelbora »

RikJohnson wrote:I grasp the idea and such, but can people post the reference for these?
I cannot imagine sneaking through the woods to be revealed when a stray sunbeam shines off your silver broach.

I was at the swap meet today, found nothing, BUT at a thrift store I occasionally visit, I found a set of brass candle-holders with the base EXACTLY the same design as shown in the pics on this thread.

I, of course, bought them, cut the candle holder free and will make and solder a pin to the back. Thus having two brass broaches!

... coins have an obverse and reverse. Are broaches the same or do we use 'front' and 'back'?
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/s/starofthedunedain.html

Encyclopedia of Arda- OK resource except if fails miserably in that they don't have citation of sources.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Straelbora wrote:
RikJohnson wrote:I grasp the idea and such, but can people post the reference for these?

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/s/starofthedunedain.html

Encyclopedia of Arda- OK resource except if fails miserably in that they don't have citation of sources.
Not a stupid question at all. First, the oft-quoted passage from The Return of the King, Chapter 2 The Passing of the Grey Company:

"A little apart the Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey, and their hoods were cast now over helm and head. Their horses were strong and of proud bearing, but rough-haired; and one stood there without a rider, Aragorn’s own horse that they had brought from the North; Roheryn was his name. There was no gleam of stone or gold, nor any fair thing in all their gear and harness: nor did their riders bear any badge or token, save only that each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star."

Based on this passage, we on the MERF decided on a star with 6 rays to represent our particular group. There is speculation that a 5 pointed star (representing Numenor) was used on the flag of Arnor, and thus was a royal symbol. It can be argued that the 30 Rangers (all that could be gathered in haste) might have been some sort of special company, perhaps guardsmen, or that all Rangers wore badges of office, or that they finally wore them openly knowing that the final war was upon them. Apparently in Anglo-saxon culture, it was custom for men to pin their cloaks to the right shoulder, and I read on one site only, that to pin your cloak on the left meant you were in open rebellion. But as a simple answer, Tolkien wrote it, and it was realized by the MERF.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I was sort of wondering about asking about something like this whether it be a ring, pin or such...since there are so many of us scattered through the world...it would be neat to have a star pin that we could place on our cloaks or tunics/ jerkins as a sign of our larger guild if you will. If some of us happen to be at a ren faire or some such event and don't know the others are there it could help identify us as some us dress differently and could be mistaken for everything from LARPERS to Archers and etc.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Rifter wrote:I was sort of wondering about asking about something like this whether it be a ring, pin or such...since there are so many of us scattered through the world...it would be neat to have a star pin that we could place on our cloaks or tunics/ jerkins as a sign of our larger guild if you will. If some of us happen to be at a ren faire or some such event and don't know the others are there it could help identify us as some us dress differently and could be mistaken for everything from LARPERS to Archers and etc.
That is exactly the point in comissioning the pins, to identify us as a particular group. I am sure you can contact Kiriana to see if any more are available.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

RikJohnson wrote:I cannot imagine sneaking through the woods to be revealed when a stray sunbeam shines off your silver broach.
Mirimaran wrote:...or that they finally wore them openly knowing that the final war was upon them.
These two reasons essentially were the reason why I stitched mine to my old quiver. It looked fine there, but I intentionally put it where the pouch that normally is strapped to the quiver would completely cover it, so it would show only when I wanted it to. The symbolism was there, but the risk of frightening my quarry was nixed.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I may indeed drop her a line....as for the sun..I try to keep my kit as earth toned as possible but if the sun catches my sword....I have it for a reason as I see it
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Yes.. I do have several bronze and steels available. They are $20 each plus shipping.. in the US I just ask for a couple dollars.. Out of country, is actual shipping. Canada usually isn't that much more than US. Overseas it gets a tad pricey. If anyone is in Europe, who is either US Military or has an American friend with an APO post office.. then I can send there for the price it costs to mail in US.

Oh for the new folks, just so you know.. I am not the artisan who makes these.. we have someone who makes them for us. We don't make any kind of money on them.. the $20 each goes directly to the artisan who makes them. I'm just the middle person. He mailed to me in bulk and I distribute. I just ask for the cost for me to mail them to you.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Payment sent for 1 SS brooch.
Thanks.
You can't take the sky from me.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Wulfgar.. pm me your mailing address. It wasnt included in the paypal info. Thanks!!