Used Elven Arrows for Sale

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Ernildir
Haeropada

Used Elven Arrows for Sale

Post by Ernildir »

I've gradually been converting to a more authenticity/functionality-centered style of Rangering. As a result, unfortunately for me, I am no longer a fan of my arrows, because although they do have cedar shafts, the fletching is synthetic. Further, the green is a little too bright for my developing color scheme.

Anyway... these arrows used to be produced by Medieval Collectibles/Dark Knight Armoury, but they appear to be no longer available. They were advertised as "Elven Arrows" and their appearance is based on the arrows which appear in the LotR films. 100g field points, 30" shafts (not including the nocks and points of course). I still love these arrows; they are the most beautiful I have ever seen. Back when I still had lots of time to practice my archery, I would take them to the local range fairly regularly and if I remember correctly there were only ever two days when someone didn't comment on how nice they look. ;) But they just aren't my style anymore, so I plan to replace them.

There are 24 total.

I have 13 that remain completely unblemished:

I have 5 which have lost a little bit of wood on the nocks. They can still be shot just as nicely as the others, but obviously their integrity is a little less solid than that of the 13.

I have 3 with only minor injuries that I don't think would have any effect on the integrity: two of these have a severed thread in the fletching job and one has a blunted point.

Finally, the three that I haven't shot since their respective demises: one has a point that fell of when I missed the target and hit something solid. I never bothered to reattach it. If you're interested I could barge-cement glue it back on and it should be fine, or you can reattach it yourself. Another had its shaft split a few inches up from the point after I shot something solid. I bound it up with hemp and an adhesive, and I think it's probably fine to shoot, but I never tried, because I still had plenty of other arrows I could use without risking that one further. Finally, one of the arrows has half of its nock broken off. Good luck shooting that one. I wouldn't want it if I were you. ;)

These cost $145 a dozen before they went out of production. Mine are used, so obviously, I would be selling them for significantly less than that. Especially the ones which have taken damage.

Please PM me if you are interested in any or all of these, or if you have any questions.

Thanks.
Last edited by Ernildir on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Used Elven Arrows for Sale

Post by RangerKellen »

Those are really nice arrows!!!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

What's the spine weight on the arrows?
Winter is coming
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

mcapanelli wrote:What's the spine weight on the arrows?
I should know that, but I don't. :( There's not an easy way to check, is there?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Man... tempting... those are really beautiful arrows. But I'll probably stick with my simpler, home-made ones. Still, totally gorgeous. Hope they find a great home!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

What poundage of bow did you shoot them with?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Dirhael wrote:What poundage of bow did you shoot them with?
I mostly shot them with a 40# bow.
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

40# longbow or recurve?
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Longbow.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

So we can assume a spine weight of 40lb. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but they'd be good for a bow that pulls 35-40@29-30" or so. Anything above their spine weight and you flex the arrow too much to be accurate. The further away the worse the problem till it just breaks the arrow. So we'll say for arguments sake these arrows are good for 40@29, give or take a pound and an inch.
Winter is coming
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

mcapanelli wrote:So we can assume a spine weight of 40lb. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but they'd be good for a bow that pulls 35-40@29-30" or so. Anything above their spine weight and you flex the arrow too much to be accurate. The further away the worse the problem till it just breaks the arrow. So we'll say for arguments sake these arrows are good for 40@29, give or take a pound and an inch.
Interesting. I never really understood spine weight. Are there any advantages to lighter spine weights or disadvantages to heavier ones? If the only danger is in having a spine weight too light, then it seems like everyone should just be making arrows with heavier spine weights. ;)
Gondian

Post by Gondian »

It's called "Archers Paradox" and has to do with how the arrow will flex and bend around the bow. A spine weight too light and the arrow flies to the left, too heavy, down and to the right. And yeah. they can break.
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Lighter spineweights will mean that the arrows bend more easily. Heavier ones will mean the arrows are stiffer. I don't think it's about advantages or disadvantages, I think it's more about getting the right spine for your bow. On traditional bows, when shot, the arrow bends around the handle of the bow. Getting the right spine of arrow for a certain bow will mean that it bends enough so that it goes round the handle, but not too bendy to that it goes too far. :?:
Anyhow the archery expert guys can correct me
Attachments
this image from wikipedia describes it better than me.
this image from wikipedia describes it better than me.
spine.png (14.76 KiB) Viewed 21760 times

Life before Death.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

sorry Gondian did not see your post!

Life before Death.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Makes sense. Thank you!