Seaxes suddenly available

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Eric C
Vendor

Seaxes suddenly available

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so here's the story on these. There is a guy in the SCA who would order 3 knives a year from me. He wanted them to look somewhat period, but they didn't have to be exact. We are closing in on the deadline for this year's knives to be ready. So I sent him a message to make sure everything was still on target for delivery, and to let him know I lost one in heat treat/temper and was working on a replacement. Well, he informed me that money was a little too tight this time around (yes, he had already placed the order before I ever started on it). So I'm stuck with two - almost three - small seaxes that made it to the top of my priority list.

Well, I have decided to offer them to my ranger family. Here are some pics and stats:

The blade blank for the 3rd knife is on top:

Here is the blank. I don't have any stats on it yet:

The larger of the two blades:

Stats:
Blade length: 5 3/4"
Blade width: ~ 1 1/2"
Thickness: 1/8"

The smaller knife:

Stats:
Blade length: 4 1/4"
Blade Width: 1 3/8
Thickness: 1/8

I have no stats on the blank yet. It will change during the construction. These are made from my usual circle saw steel. They are heat treated then tempered to 450 degrees. They are partial tang as seems to be the case with some historical pieces I've seen.

So, if I finish these as I have planned, the big blade will be $100 plus shipping. The small $80 plus shipping. If you want them customized, the price will reflect it. PM me if you are interested. I am willing to set up payment arrangements for anyone needing them. I will update the thread as I work on the knives.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Seaxes suddenly available

Post by Eric C »

Quick update on these blades. I have made handles for them from what looks like white oak. It is old pallet material. I am still deciding on the bolster material. Today I cut the ends off of some cable I am welding up. It is kind of straight, but I think it will make nice bolsters.

I'll have pics up soon. I am trying to come back from the brink of a heat injury. I know better than to stand around the forge without plenty of fluids. :x

Thoughts about the bolsters?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Well, I've been working on these knives and I have to admit, I don't like them. I am going to pull them down from the sale for now. After working on them, I've found that they need to be annealed and the bevels need to be worked in better than they are. I will put these back up once I'm happy with them.

For now I am not willing to take any commissions on these blades. Sorry about that, but there is a matter that has to be worked through before I will accept any offers on them. Me and the forge ain't getting along lately and I have to back up and figure out what is going on. A little soul-searching, if you will.

These will most likely be back. And they will be back with a vengeance - so to speak. :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Brothers and Sisters you have just witnessed an act of integrity, A very rare occurance in this day and age. ("You will not see this again, it is the old way..." Herger the Joyouse):D
Last edited by Ringulf on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Ringulf wrote:Brothers and Sisters you have just witnessed an act of integrity, A very rare occurrence in this day and age. :D
Well, consider the source ;) Honored to be among such men (and women!)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ringulf wrote:Brothers and Sisters you have just witnessed an act of integrity, A very rare occurance in this day and age. ("You will not see this again, it is the old way..." Herger the Joyouse):D
Mirimaran wrote:
Ringulf wrote:Brothers and Sisters you have just witnessed an act of integrity, A very rare occurrence in this day and age. :D
Well, consider the source ;) Honored to be among such men (and women!)

Ken
You gentlemen both humble me greatly. It is partly because of fine folks on this forum - like you two - that I push myself to be a better bladesmith than I was yesterday.