Fire steel

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Eric C
Vendor

Fire steel

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so here's the deal. The forge has to start supporting itself as well as add a little money to the house. So I've started adding things to my skill set. The first of those things is fire steels. So, I've knocked out a few of them and would like to offer them to you. Three of them are c-shaped. The fourth is more of a Viking style. I'm still tweaking the Viking style, but it will spark really well.

So anyway, the three C-shaped strikers are $8.00 plus shipping and the Viking steel is $10.00 plus shipping.

The money will go to charity, namely, "Help Eric build a new forge fund" charity. If you're interested, PM me.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Fire steel

Post by Elleth »

That Viking one is sharp, and you've priced it incredibly generously!

I am set for steels, but if no one else buys it ( AND YOU REALLY SHOULD ) I'll pay for it and find it a good home.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I have some ideas for the Viking style. If I get chisels that are small enough, I may try putting initials in the Elvish on the sides. Made to order.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Great work, and well priced, Eric. Do you take commissions on these currently, or just what's up there right now? No pressure...just info for potential buyers.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'm not currently taking any commissions. The C-shaped ones are easy enough that I can knock out a couple pretty quickly. Once I get accustomed to forging the Viking style, I will be able to do them faster too. I need to study up on the Elvish alphabet and practice my chiseling skills before I make any promises. I've learned the hard way not to let my mouth overshoot my current skill level. A certain three sided dagger comes to mind.

Oh, I forgot to mention in the original post that these are forged from files and hardened in water.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Pending payment, one of the c-shaped ones is sold.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so these are going slowly. I am giving these until this Friday, Oct 14, then they are going to the etsy shop that I'm about to open. If you are interested in one, please let me know. I won't take this post down because they will still be available to you, but I have to open up my items to a wider audience.

Thanks for your interest.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Have you opened the Etsy shop yet? And can get get a link? ;D
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Not yet. I have to work at the day job this morning, but I'll try to get it up and running tonight. If you're interested, after I get off work I'll be at the forge. I can make another Viking fire steel if you'd like.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Well I tell ya' what - I'm planning to enter the contest Elleth has started for the striker, but if I don't get it there, I'll hit you up about another one, if you're open to it.

Anyway, I'm excited to see the Etsy shop get up and running whenever you get time! Cheers!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so I've finally sat down and opened the etsy shop. Here is a link to it: https://www.etsy.com/shop/IchtheanForge I only have the fire steels listed there now. The price there is different than here. I give preferential treatment to my Ranger family. :wink: I will of course keep some things set aside for you folks if you are interested.
theguywitheyebrows
Wayfarer

Post by theguywitheyebrows »

if there are firesteels to be had, i'll take one! the viking style would be neat but the C style would as well. whatever is available.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Seems to me that fire steel is just extra weight to cary around. If I was around a thousand years ago, I would probably just use the pommel of my knife.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
theguywitheyebrows
Wayfarer

Post by theguywitheyebrows »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:23 pm Seems to me that fire steel is just extra weight to cary around. If I was around a thousand years ago, I would probably just use the pommel of my knife.
the pommel of a knife is ususlly not hardened enough to throw sparks easily, and a knife built like they would have been doing at the time you're talking about would have a softer metal as the pommel like brass as the construction style would be a rat tail tang knife with a handle slide down the tang (often while the tang is still hot) and then a cap or washer and the tang peened over that as the pommel. the tiny portion of peened tang that would be exposed definitely won't be hard enough. fire steels are hardened with little or none of the tempering that brings the brittleness down/out of the steel. high carbon steel for knives is heated up passed the point where magnetism leaves the metal, quenched in an oil, then tempered at a long slow soak at a lower temperature in an oven (often specially designed kiln style ovens are used for the more exotic steels) to realign the molecules. forge hardening is a little more organic, tempering is achieved with quenching the working edge of your steel and allowing the heat to draw back into the edge at a rate determined often by a color the steel makes, but the process for fire steels doesn't ususally incorporate much of the 'draw tempering' stage. you ought not break a good knife if you drop it on concrete, but a fire steel is far more brittle and can definitely crack or even shatter. a dedicated item for fire that you can count on is worth the lil .12 lb the kit could weight including a container to char material in. modern tins are the best for charred material, but a similar effect can be had with a wooden box used to snuff the material after you ignite it fully.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

theguywitheyebrows wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:59 pm the pommel of a knife is ususlly not hardened enough to throw sparks easily, and a knife built like they would have been doing at the time you're talking about would have a softer metal as the pommel like brass as the construction style...
I hadn't thought of it like that. My blades are all zombie tools 5160 Spring Steel including the Pommel with aluminum side plates. I haven't tried striking a fire with it but will this weekend.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.