Checking the waters: handwoven blankets?

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Checking the waters: handwoven blankets?

Post by Elleth »

I've just gotten our first batch of wool in from our Icelandic sheep, and I'm starting to explore having it processed into blankets.

From the numbers I'm getting so far, they wouldn't be cheap: probably much like other hand-weavers (Wilde, Stone, Baker) we're looking at several hundred dollars per.
But they'd be very heavy, naturally ranging (no dye needed) from light brown to black, and I could probably get a bit of nice middle-earth goodness woven into the hem rather than a standard point blanket look.

Anyone interested, or know someone who might be? If it looks like there's enough interest I'll likely commission a run of blankets, keep one or two, and sell the rest.
Otherwise I'll probably just have the fiber processed to yarn and either sell as is or store until I get a loom set up for my own use some years hence.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Checking the waters: handwoven blankets?

Post by Udwin »

Don't have anything to add, except that apparently it's already been a long day...even after reading the post I kept reading the subject line as 'baskets'. :S
I found a source of local raw wool here in KY for $10-15 per, and this reminds me that I have at least half a fleece of semi-felted Shetland wool that I need to card out. And I have a cousin down the road who's a rabid spinner....
A proper M-e blanket is something I definitely need, so keep me informed of what you wind up doing. I may be able to supply some raw materials if needed.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:I've just gotten our first batch of wool in from our Icelandic sheep, and I'm starting to explore having it processed into blankets.

From the numbers I'm getting so far, they wouldn't be cheap: probably much like other hand-weavers (Wilde, Stone, Baker) we're looking at several hundred dollars per.
But they'd be very heavy, naturally ranging (no dye needed) from light brown to black, and I could probably get a bit of nice middle-earth goodness woven into the hem rather than a standard point blanket look.

Anyone interested, or know someone who might be? If it looks like there's enough interest I'll likely commission a run of blankets, keep one or two, and sell the rest.
Otherwise I'll probably just have the fiber processed to yarn and either sell as is or store until I get a loom set up for my own use some years hence.
What kind of time frame? And what do you mean by several? (I assume 6-8) Would love this, but is much more palatable if I can can start putting away $20 at a time for while.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Udwin - thank you! I'll certainly keep that in mind!

caedmon -
Time frame - I'm only now talking with vendors, and I can't imagine anything being ready before fall. Certainly I wouldn't want to take money before I had a blanket in hand and ready to ship out.

Running the very rough estimate numbers I've gotten off fiber processor and hand weaver websites, I think the per-blanket cost will fall out somewhere between $300 - $400, for a blanket of around 4-point size and around 6 pounds in weight. Hopefully more towards the lower end of that estimate, though it's too early to tell for certain. Those are very rough numbers, and assume that although there will certainly be some lossage, pounds of fleece in in isn't too different from pounds of blanket out. I expect the total run to be no less that five blankets, no more than eight, of which I intend to keep two.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Assuming that it's not before fall, and not much more than $400, definitely count me in. Otherwise will depend on cost.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

We're much closer! All the wool is spun and in the hands of our weaver: I'm finalizing the order with him now.

Most of the blankets will be fulled to a lighter weight for mundane house use and family Christmas presents, but I'm having (at least) two fulled to "Hudson Bay" thickness, about 78" x 90."
One I'm keeping, and one may or may not be spoken for. The price will be in the neighborhood of $400, but I'm still waiting on final pricing from the weaver.

I realize that's steep - but anyone think they might be interested? If so, let me know and I'll adjust the number of "trekking" blankets in the order.

Here's some samples of what we'll be getting:
merf-handwoven-blankets.jpg
merf-handwoven-blankets.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 14615 times

EDIT: I just head back from the weaver and we're getting much much less than I thought we would be. I'm afraid none will be available for sale this year. :( :( :(