2018 Southeast Fall Moot

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

2018 Southeast Fall Moot

Post by E.MacKermak »

First, I want to apologize for not getting info out on this board sooner. It has been a rough summer and my motivation for a lot of things was lacking, though that is no excuse for ignoring the forum which brought most of us together in the first place.

That said, the 2018 Southeast Fall Moot is coming up in about a month. The dates are October 5-7 at Eastwind Castle, 527 Johnston Hwy, Trenton, South Carolina 29847. This will be the third year for the moot and it has gotten better each year. As usual there will be archery and thrown weapons ranges open, opportunities for new skills to be taught and learned, campfire cooking potluck meal Saturday night, and general camaraderie in the wooded world we love so much. The forge will also be open for those wishing to try their hand. This moot tends to be about learning new stuff and practicing existing skills. There is talk of some of the Eastwind folks challenging us to a campfire cook off for the potluck.

Event cost is $10 per person 10 years old and up to pay for the site. An attempt at Ranger-ish clothing is required but there are many of us who can help with this. Ranger camping is preferred but we accommodate modern tents on the site so no worries there. If you have any questions, you can find more information on Facebook either by finding the event page or contacting me. Alternately you can contact me directly by email erichmackermak{at}gmail{dot}com.

Additionally, we will be camping in the land granted to us on Eastwind. There will be some work to be done to make the space better but I have never heard the rangers backing away from work.

I hope to see some of you there and again, sorry for the late notice. I will try to do better in the future.
Last edited by E.MacKermak on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: 2018 Southeast Fall Moot

Post by E.MacKermak »

Once more the cycle of seasons has turned and the Rangers gather before the dark months of winter. It is the time for the brethren of the forest to come together and trade skills, goods, and stories. The lands around Eastwind Castle will once again be surrounded with the sounds of the forge, of arrows and axes striking targets, and of laughter. Join the Middle Earth Rangers for the fall gathering.

This event is open to any interested folks who want to come out, have fun, and enjoy outdoor living.

Cost is $10/person 10 years of age or older
Under 10 years old are free

Activities will include archery, thrown weapons, classes, camping, story telling around the fire, bartering for ranger items, and anything else we want to come up with.

GUIDELINES FOR THE MOOT:
This is a Middle Earth Ranger Moot (http://www.middleearthrangers.org/wiki//index.php…). As such it is a representation of a group of rangers and foresters gathering at the end of summer before scattering to their winter quarters or ranges. In order to enhance this representation, all participants are expected to be in garb from after they set up their camp (if not before) until they break down and leave. Garb should be appropriate for a middle ages forester or ranger of Middle Earth, or a noble or other character who might have interacted with the rangers (bartender, merchant, etc). If you do not possess appropriate garb, please speak up and we will assist you in obtaining some.

The site is wet for those of legal drinking age. We ask that you use period containers for drinking (either alcoholic beverages or not) as nothing breaks the illusion we are trying to portray like walking around camp with a plastic water, soda or beer bottle. It should go without saying that if you choose to indulge, you are responsible for your actions and should act like a responsible member of society.

This is a family event. Conduct yourself accordingly.

Tents should be of a type that might have been used by a ranger of Middle Earth or a medieval individual (canvas tent, tarp shelter, etc). If you do not have “period” tenting, don’t worry. There will be space for modern tents. Just be aware that “period” camping will be intentionally grouped to present the appearance of a ranger encampment.

We are aware that modern items like water coolers and ice chests are likely going to be needed. We will have a couple of 7 gallon water jugs available for everyone’s use on site. We do ask, however that any modern object be covered so as to be unobtrusive at a 10’ distance. The simple expedient of covering with a tarp or blanket goes a long way toward making camp look better.

We are Rangers. As such we are expected to be ethical in the forest. Fires will be properly monitored or put out if no one is present. Camp will be kept clean and left better than we find it. No cutting of green wood without the site owner’s permission.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

E.MacKermak wrote:This will be the third year for the moot and it has gotten better each year.
Figured I'd post some pictures from previous years as evidence for that! :mrgreen:

Here are a couple of the shelters that were home for the weekend (photo by me):
camp.jpg
camp.jpg (123.12 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
Some folks spent some time on the range (photo by Kiriana):
archery.jpg
archery.jpg (234.98 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
Other folks spent some time at the forge (photo by Kiriana):
forging.jpg
forging.jpg (123.64 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
We had a communal meal Saturday night, after cooking some of the food over the fire (photo by Kiriana):
feasting.jpg
feasting.jpg (75.91 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
After eating, there was some bartering for goods that folks made and brought (photo by Kiriana):
bartering.jpg
bartering.jpg (95.05 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
Here's the motley crew on Sunday morning before we broke camp and went our separate way (photo by Ringulf):
group.jpg
group.jpg (237.34 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
There are some more pictures up on Facebook, as well!
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I took a panorama picture of the camp last year - we went from six people sleeping under canvas in 2016 to nine in 2017. Hopefully that number will keep going up!

Here's Erich's shelter (photo by me):
erich's shelter.jpg
erich's shelter.jpg (210.14 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
Eric C. returned to the forge (photo by Erich):
forging.jpg
forging.jpg (233.11 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
Erich brought some leather so folks could practice working it (photo by Erich):
leatherworking.jpg
leatherworking.jpg (175.57 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
Several folks gave informal classes on wireweaving, leather working, forging, and firestarting (photo by Erich):
flint and steel practice.jpg
flint and steel practice.jpg (118.34 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
Saturday's communal meal included more dishes cooked over the fire (photo by Erich):
feast.jpg
feast.jpg (193.76 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
And a MERF gathering has to include mathom for everyone! (photo by me):
mathom.jpg
mathom.jpg (139.53 KiB) Viewed 28058 times
There are some more photos up on Facebook!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That really looks like it would be a great few days, shame I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

A lot of folks have probably seen these on Facebook already, but I figured I'd share some pictures from this year's gathering!

Here's a panorama shot of the camp (you can see a 360 version on Facebook):
panorama.JPG
panorama.JPG (224.46 KiB) Viewed 27428 times
We had 11 folks sleeping under canvas Saturday night (either in canvas tents or under tarps), so we beat last year's count!

I really like looking at different shelter styles and set-ups, so I tend to take a lot of pictures of them - feel free to scroll on by to the next post if you don't share my fascination :P

Erich MacKermak's shelter (a modified canvas dropcloth):
erich's shelter.JPG
erich's shelter.JPG (232.21 KiB) Viewed 27428 times
Eric C. and family's tent:
cartrette tent.JPG
cartrette tent.JPG (234.95 KiB) Viewed 27428 times
My shelter (linseed oil-treated linen):
elliot's shelter.JPG
elliot's shelter.JPG (242.78 KiB) Viewed 27428 times
Shawn's shelter (a modern heavy-duty canvas tarp):
shawn's shelter.JPG
shawn's shelter.JPG (249.25 KiB) Viewed 27428 times
Dave's shelter (a modern heavy-duty canvas tarp that he washed, added a tie-out point in the back, and darkened the grommets on):
dave's shelter.JPG
dave's shelter.JPG (220.35 KiB) Viewed 27428 times
A picture of the camp through the trees taken by a member of Eric C.'s family:
camp through the trees.jpg
camp through the trees.jpg (185.39 KiB) Viewed 27427 times
Last edited by Taurinor on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

group with sign.JPG
group with sign.JPG (241.38 KiB) Viewed 27427 times
around the fire.JPG
around the fire.JPG (246.93 KiB) Viewed 27427 times
Some pictures taken by Eric C.'s family:
coffee!.jpg
coffee!.jpg (178.44 KiB) Viewed 27427 times
wating for coffee.jpg
wating for coffee.jpg (151.25 KiB) Viewed 27427 times
cooking.jpg
cooking.jpg (132.71 KiB) Viewed 27427 times
ranger smith.jpg
ranger smith.jpg (161.02 KiB) Viewed 27427 times
what's that.jpg
what's that.jpg (181.45 KiB) Viewed 27427 times
And mathom for folks who came (made using one of Elleth's stamps)!
mathom.JPG
mathom.JPG (136.37 KiB) Viewed 27426 times
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Looks great! Wish I could have been there!
Frodo lives!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Everyone looks to have had a grand time. What sort of activities did you manage?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Greg wrote:What sort of activities did you manage?
Mostly campcraft sort of things - fire making, campfire cooking, and the like. Some forging and some quiet crafting with supplies folks brought during the heat of the day. There were plans for archery, but a bit of rain came through right about when we wanted to do that, so we ended up focusing on keeping the fire burning (so we'd have coals to cook dinner) and making sure nothing was out that the water would bother.

Lots of chatting and storytelling as well, of course!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Well that looks like all kinds of fun!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Do you guys still do an “Introduce your persona” like in the past?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.