Middle-earth Reenactment Society - Fall 2020 Trek

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Middle-earth Reenactment Society - Fall 2020 Trek

Postby Greg » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:20 pm

We have returned from another glorious adventure in the wilds of Southern Indiana!

There will be more images and other material forthcoming, but for a quick recap of what we've been up to, here's a bit of our adventure in the Charles C. Deam Wilderness and Lake Monroe.

Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eofor
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Middle-earth Reenactment Society - Fall 2020 Trek

Postby Eofor » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:54 pm

Looks great, it's amazing the opportunities watercraft open up.

Looking forward to more.
For seven days without eating or sleeping the new king sat, until he stood and cried "This cannot be borne!"!
Iodo
Haeropada

Postby Iodo » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:07 pm

Nice photo's :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Postby Greg » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:00 pm

It has been a desire of ours for years to get out in some canoes and paddle-in to a location, but so many factors have to line up. Particularly the long distances people travel to some of our treks, so someone local would have to be able to provide the equipment, we'd have to have water access to a wilderness area, and we'd have to be able to get back to our starting point without a vehicle shuffle/pick-up.

We finally got everything to line up this year. I've taken a new job and moved (again!) an hour south of where I was previously, which has put me right in the heart of Indiana Trekking territory. The Deam Wilderness, which we've MERS-trekked in twice now, is on one section of the shore of Lake Monroe, the largest reservoir in Indiana, and we found a free boat launch that would allow us to park overnight. Couple these discoveries with my acquisition of a few boats this year, and we finally pulled it off.

We were out for two nights; we paddled in on Friday afternoon, and then relocated to a second site on Saturday after exploring around for a bit. This also marks the first overnight trek with MERS I've taken a hawk on, which was an interesting experiment in logistics that panned out well. Grip (this season's bird) did a great job, and nearly caught a chipmunk on our first evening.

We made some pretty serious headway in our knowledge and practical application of leaf-litter bedding, and slept quite comfortably, particularly on the second night.

More content coming up!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Postby Cimrandir » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:29 am

Oh wow, that looks amazing. I miss taking a canoe out and paddling the river. Very much looking forward to further images and stories!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Postby Manveruon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:51 pm

As usual you are making me extremely jealous, haha! :lol:

This looks like it was an absolute blast! I can’t wait to see more! I’ve wanted to do a canoe-in camping trip for ages myself, but just as you say, the logistics are difficult. Hopefully one day I can realize that dream myself! Meanwhile I will live vicariously through your explots! :D

Return to “Outings”