Fall 2013 Indy Trek - Recap

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Odigan
Vendor

Fall 2013 Indy Trek - Recap

Post by Odigan »

Having returned from another journey into the wilds of Indiana, I give to you my report from that hotbed of Rangering. This time we took to the Tecumseh Trail starting in Morgan-Monroe State Forest and passing into Yellowood State Forest. With many miles to go before the trek even began I arrived the previous day along with an old comrade and set up camp for the night so that we could meet at the trailhead early the following morning.

Rain fell from 2100 until 0400, and the temperature held just above freezing. It was a less than pleasant night, but at least it cleared before daybreak. Making our way to the start of the trail we met with Greg but discovered two others we were expecting had been waylaid by forces unknown. We would have to make our journey without them! Greg and I would press on by ourselves via the trail, while Dave would take his cart around to rendezvous with us later and resupply the Ranger station which was to be our destination for that night, fifteen miles distant.
Begin.JPG
Begin.JPG (228.06 KiB) Viewed 14749 times
This week near-about (so far as we can reckon) marks twenty years that Dave and I have committed ourselves to the pursuit of such madness.
20Years.JPG
20Years.JPG (191.61 KiB) Viewed 14749 times
Making our way along the start of the trail.
Heading_out.jpg
Heading_out.jpg (146.59 KiB) Viewed 14749 times
Last edited by Odigan on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Odigan
Vendor

Re: Fall 2013 Indy Trek - Recap

Post by Odigan »

As we continued on our way, the sky began to brighten but never quite cleared completely. Nevertheless, further rain kept at bay for the remainder of our trip.
Trail.JPG
Trail.JPG (240.15 KiB) Viewed 14748 times
We came upon a large outcropping of rock, previously used as a shelter by many folk. It is duly suited to a large party of Rangers, and an even larger party of Halflings!
Cave.JPG
Cave.JPG (189.72 KiB) Viewed 14748 times
As we neared our ten-mile rendezvous point we encountered local hospitality.
Welcome_sign.JPG
Welcome_sign.JPG (194.57 KiB) Viewed 14748 times
Last edited by Odigan on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

At the Bear Lake rendezvous we were both still hale and hearty, and ready to continue along.
Bear_lake.JPG
Bear_lake.JPG (230.76 KiB) Viewed 14748 times
We made it to Fox Den waystation well before dark, and had plenty of time to gather firewood, get it burning, and prepare dinner. Given how wet everything was it was to be a long night of tending the fire to keep it alive, and this was essential to our comfort, as the temperature held in the mid-thirtys overnight. Still, there was a strong moon and in the dead of night the woods glowed with an eerie silver sheen while our banter was accompanied by the serenades of coyotes and owls.

Ready to depart following breakfast in the morning, showing what was our elegant home for the night.
Fox_Den.JPG
Fox_Den.JPG (205.43 KiB) Viewed 14748 times
My personal loadout with all gear, food, and water came to thirty pounds even. My pack alone (which consisted solely of bedroll, shelter half, and extra clothing) figured for eighteen pounds of that – a necessity given the cool weather. A summer time trek could reduce this load by half or even two-thirds. Nevertheless, we covered the distance in about seven hours, including a stop for lunch, giving an average of a little over two miles per hour.

A great many thanks to Greg for again organizing an event which was great fun. And to Dave for his support and photo documentation.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Looks like a lot of fun was had! I wish I were in shape for a hike of that length. Guess this ranger's spending too much time at the forge and by the hearth these days. :roll: Congrats on a good outing despite the rain and cold.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

Sounds like a great time. May you enjoy many more treks in the future
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Thanks for posting looks great. Trail.jpg should be an entry for some future board contest. My wife said it looks like it should be in a magazine.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Looks like a great time.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

The trip was excellent, to say the least. It's always a pleasure to spend a day or two in the woods with those guys.

Keep your eyes on the forum...early spring, this location will be host to a family-style Ranger Moot. That large rock outcrop, in fact. We'll hold until we can anticipate good weather, and then one and all will be invited to come out for games, crafts, music, and general mayhem. More to follow.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

This looks awesome, and I must admit to being wracked with total jealousy. Fantastic pictures too! Looks like you two had a ton of fun. I'd love to finally be able to organize something like this out here in CO, since I missed my chance this Autumn. Maybe come Spring...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

WOW, I need to get to Indiana. Wish I had some companions around here to trek with, my pards from my other periods love Tolkien but aren't willing to trek like a Ranger.
Looks like you guys had a great time. Impressive kits!
You can't take the sky from me.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

This looks awesome!!! I can't wait til Eothain and I can get that way to join you!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Wulfgar/Addreonynn, I'll be sure to make sure that there's plenty of advance notice for you guys come next season. We should have a VERY solid turnout next spring. If all goes well, we could easily smoke the half-dozen mark.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Wow... looks like a great time, guys! I would be totally down for a moot in Indianna! I need to finish up my kit, haha!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Every time I look at this and hear (er... read) you guys talk about a moot, all I want to do is go out there. I wish it was easier for me to just say, "well, I'm off to another state for the weekend! Cheers everybody!" I feel like I could probably do that if I really, really wanted to (it's not like it would be a particularly expensive trip), but my girlfriend would think I was nuts, and I don't have a clue if I could get the time off work anyhow. Still, one of these days I might just have to say "screw it" and just go for it.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Manveruon wrote:Every time I look at this and hear (er... read) you guys talk about a moot, all I want to do is go out there. I wish it was easier for me to just say, "well, I'm off to another state for the weekend! Cheers everybody!" I feel like I could probably do that if I really, really wanted to (it's not like it would be a particularly expensive trip), but my girlfriend would think I was nuts, and I don't have a clue if I could get the time off work anyhow. Still, one of these days I might just have to say "screw it" and just go for it.
I live about 45 minutes away from Greg and it took a bit of cajoling to convince my wife that we all aren't crazy. I think when she saw how much fun our 3 year old son had, she turned a corner. But, yeah, I'd like to do the full spring '14 hike without preschooler in tow, and I guess I'd better get working on that now.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál