COMBAT CON IN LAS VEGAS

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

COMBAT CON IN LAS VEGAS

Post by RikJohnson »

13-14 June 2014 at the Rivera Hotel in Las Vegas is the Combat Con!

Basically a convention for Western Martial Arts (fencing, Longsword, etc) with a healthy dose of fantasy (zombies, pirates, steampunk and even Hyboria & Middle Earth!

I'm heading out from Tucson to Vegas on Thursday, 12 June and returning Monday 16 June,.
Already paid my fees and reserved my room.

If anyone is attending, let's get together.
If you cannot afford the $300+ for a room, I'm willing to share mine.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
RikJohnson

Re: COMBAT CON IN LAS VEGAS

Post by RikJohnson »

a few people read this but none replied.
I'd think that this would be a great place to go.

It is a chance to dress-up:
... I normally wear a pirate outfit but will go as a MERanger this year.
...other people dress as Steampunk nad so on.
...about half do NOT dress and wear normal fighting clothing.

It is a chance to buy neat gear:
...I bought two Cold Steel Longswords and matching daggers, practice longsword and broadsword and a few other items.

It is a chance to meet great people:
... I had a talk with Michael Pare' about different ways to wear a sword.
...I met robert Chapin of _Ring of Steel_ and the director and writer of a few S&S films.

It is a chance to practice European fighting styles (NOT Asian arts):
... the longsword classes are my favorite.
...I take the bullwhip classes from the guy who taught Harrison Ford.

And a chance to flirt with women who like to dress up.

I go every year they hold the event. Already reserved my hotel room and entry fee. Just need to rent a decent car for the drive.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I've heard about CombatCon many times from various different people, and have been urged to go by a few, but in the end I rarely get to leave my state for anything at all, and unfortunately CombatCon has never exactly been top of my list of conventions, festivals, etc. around the country (there are just so darned many it can be quite hard to choose). Still though, it does sound like a really cool con, and I've heard great things about it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone on the forums makes it out for this one - especially first timers - so I can hear their takes on it. Someday it may be something worth planning a trip for.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

My room is reserved, I have the vacation time, I put an ad in CL for company (all my friends and family cannot go).
Now I am trying to get the reduced room rate at the Riveria.

I've decided to wear my Ranger Garb to the Con. I'll have to strengthen the gussets in the pants and do some more work on the boots but everything should work out.
And finish my gambeson.

After all, at the Celtic Fest I was helping unload a truck for the sword dealer (I volunrteer every year at the Fest) and commented on the crap he was selling.
He said that he had one real blade in the truck by accident as the customers don't want real swords, they want wall-hangers and SLO.

What he found was the Hanwei Practical Longsword that almost matched my Cold Steel Longsword and Cold Steel Poly-por longsword that I owned. He gave it for me for $100 .. or was it $90?
So now I have a steel and plastic practice longsword.

Too bad I am the only person on this forum going. It would be nice to raise a mug with my fellows
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Just got a notice,
Friday night is Strop Fighting!
they give you a LARP sword, shove you into the ring with a random oponnant and every time someone gets a hit, that person has to remove an article of clothing. FGirst one naked looses.

I suspect that the attendees will expect a bevy of buxom beauties entering but in reality, probably a bunch of overweight guys will be the only entrants.

Pity there won;t be an experienced Ranger talking about MER activities!!!
hint!!!
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

oops.. being dyslexix.

should have said "strIp fighting".

no one that I know wants to fight with a barbers strop?
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

JUST CHECKED THE VENDORS LIST:
Most I know not but Albion and Darkfire I do know.
DRAT!!! 3 years ago I was $30K in debt due to divorce amd kids schooling. By next Friday I will be totally debt free (lots of raman for breakfast and making my Gear from recycled junk).
But with Albion there, back into debt<g>!

Badger Blades
Infinite Frequencies
Film Fighting LA
Commedia Beauregard
Rockwell Classical Fencing Equipment
Benjamin Arms
The Swordsman's Shop
Baron's Beauties
Winking Blind Bats
The Brass Wardrobe
Jack Dagger: The King of Fling
Macdonald Armouries
W. Hock Hochheim
Iron Door School of Arms (ARMA)
Very Awesome Girls Into Nerdy Activities
Metal Artisan Studios
Davidson L. Haworth
SPES Historical Fencing Gear USA
Hollywood Combat Center
Richard Hatch
Barnes & Noble Booksellers
Albion Swords Limited
Xtreme Freestyle
Iron Shield Arms, LLC
Keen Edge Knives
Artchamacallit
Colin Cunningham
Ri-Dressed History
The Dark Fire
Knight2Day
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

Time is running out. Excitement is rising! I DO wish that there was a MER table at the con.

My weapons and gear is backed into a hard-case golf-club travel case. Keeps them safe and easy to carry with the wheels.

Still looking for a date for the Con. no luck.

This weekend i get to pack Garb, clothes, food etc.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Looks like some awesome vendors. I've never been to Vegas but may have to go next year and keep the trip in line with the con dates
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

This would be great to attend as I have a friend who instructs and this groups a lot of common interests, but several other week-long events take priority for time-off and expenses. Maybe someday?
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I'd love to go, and I really should go, but in the back of my mind I remember, was it the second year they were on? They completely canceled everything without notice. Makes me wary still.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I don't remember that, but I have heard it gained traction and seems to be here to stay.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.