The group is growing!

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Sindara
Dúnadan

The group is growing!

Post by Sindara »

Greetings to all! Had another meet today, fourteen of us this time! Met at one of the member's place - has quite a bit of acreage which backs up to BLM land - a great 'ranger' playground! On the way in, a young moose was running alongside us - with a stout fence in between - otherwise I would've stopped until he was out of the picture! Anyway, the kids that I had with me, thoroughly enjoyed watching him ( I was watching with some apprehension)!

Today, our group practiced various knots and lashings - now we'll just all have to practice and become proficient. Tom (owner of the place) said that he would make us all some small marlinspikes, and teach everyone how to splice rope! (He has his 'blacksmith' shop out back…)

After working with the ropes/knots (with a LOT of yarn-telling), the younger 'rangers' all went out to meet the farm animals, play 'foos' ball, tag, and (hopefully) wind down a little. Meanwhile, us 'older' folks talked over some ideas for future meets. Later this spring, Tom will have everyone out so that we can help/learn about tanning hides. He also has a target range - for either guns, or ARCHERY! He and his neighbor, Cam (who is also part of our bunch), plan on setting up a 'walking(?) range' - a trail, if you will, with various targets, distances, forest settings - for archery skills! I've gotta hurry up and get my next bow!

We also exchanged some informative books - after what I've seen of one of his, I highly recommend it: "Wilderness Wayfinding" by Bob Newman! We also exchanged some food 'goods' - I gave Tom and Cameron each a stick of homemade salami, along with the recipe to make it (and another for homemade pepperoni - if any of you are interested, let me know - I'll share); and Tom's wife, Katy, gave me a still-warm loaf of homemade bread - our mouths watered all the way home (where it met with a quick demise - slathered with butter)!

Our next meet will be in two weeks - we'll go out into Tom's 'woods' and practice tracking. What a great bunch of people - all with similar outlooks, goals, and ideas of FUN!
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: The group is growing!

Post by Peter Remling »

These reports are inspirational. If my nephews and nieces didn't live so far away I'd start a group with them. I will start looking locally for like minded people.

Keep posting.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That sounds like an amazing time!

I'd like to get something like that going for some kids in our neck of the woods to. We've got one boy looking to camp on our acreage to get his Outdoorsman badge for cub scouts soon, and it would be awesome to help him go above and beyond.

I'd love to hear more about what you're teaching, and how. Especially with pictures! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

This sounds great... I wish I could find more interested people around here. And don't forget we like pictures around here.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I wish I had a few more rangers near me. So far its just me and Khaehaub :(
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Sindara
Dúnadan

Post by Sindara »

We have 11 kids in our group (so far…), ages 7 to 17. They all absolutely love this 'ranger' stuff! And us older, more reserved, rangers (yeah, right - we're probably having more fun than the kids - we're, just… bigger kids!) really love the idea that everyone is learning very practical, possibly life-saving, definitely life-changing skills! I would love to start including pictures - I've just got to convince the kid to let me USE her camera once in awhile….
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Sindara wrote: I would love to start including pictures - I've just got to convince the kid to let me USE her camera once in awhile….
Not really, just give her the title "Official Chronicler" and let her go to town. :)
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

Peter Remling wrote:
Sindara wrote: I would love to start including pictures - I've just got to convince the kid to let me USE her camera once in awhile….
Not really, just give her the title "Official Chronicler" and let her go to town. :)
Just make sure that she doesn't read this post lololo
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods