Rangers in Northen Wisconsin

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Brownno
Dúnadan

Re: Rangers in Northen Wisconsin

Post by Brownno »

Yea that sounds great if you can start figuring things out for this summer we can probably get a nice gathering of rangers together.
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I might recommend a different route.

Many members of this forum will know of my longtime obsession with wilderness.net. Finding a place that fits certain criteria, but (typically) will have no issues with blades and bows is relatively easy if you look in the wilderness database, because nearly all of the wilderness areas are hunt-legal, which opens up the door for archery equipment (even in the off-season), backcountry camping, and larger blades (ie. hunting knives, but swords tend to fit in the regs).

I've looked at the list of areas in Wisconsin (there are seven), and this one seems to be the best bet, for trekking needs:

Whisker Lake Wilderness Area

Backcountry camping is allowed, and they have the longest maintained trails system of any of the areas in WI: 9.5 miles. A little short of what Odigan was aiming for, but frankly, you trade developed trails for undeveloped land. You won't see restroom signs and parking lots there...anywhere.

Look to be a few good water sources, too, including the main lake. I'd look into that, if I were you folks up there.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Greg that place seems pretty good I would like if the group could get some rangers up there to camp.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Odigan did note to me in an email elsewhere that it's pretty inconvenient for the Hoosier crowd, but if I were visiting Columbus, persay (where I used to live) I'd happily make the drive up there, though I certainly would be better off if there was a location in Southern WI. Unfortunately, of course...there aren't any Wilderness areas in Southern WI in that database. C'est la vie. We'll find something.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Yeah, as I said, it is very difficult to find a suitable site in the Southern half of the state. There are numerous places for day trips, but overnighting is difficult. There are a bunch of really fantastic "State Natural Areas," but none of them permit camping or campfires.

One possibility (which I've yet to personally explore) is the Kettle Moraine State Forest - Southern Unit. Among its 22,000 acres and 165 miles of trails, it has three remote backpacking sites (with AT-style shelters) along the Ice Age trail, which runs through the park. The John Muir also passes through.

This site is within five hours of Indianapolis, so puts it in reach of the Hoosier crowd while still being an easy drive for most anyone in WI. I can certainly check it out in the coming months and do some recon.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

The kettle moraine trail is pretty close to me and the trails are well made. So I am good with this spot for sure. It does have people on the trail so you wouldn't be completely alone but you could be almost alone in the trails.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'd be all for that area (though, to clarify, the John Muir portion of that area is a Mountain Biking Circuit).

The Ice Age trail sounds like a great path for this forum's purposes.

As for people...most of us that trek are used to people. You get over it.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Yea true. And I would never ever hike in the John Muir portion even though you can. The bikers will run you down but the ice age trail would be a nice choice to get a gathering of us together.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Sounds like we may have a viable candidate. I'll look to get over there in the next month or two, do some recon, and if things look favorable start a thread here on organizing a gathering.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Odigan, they have a horsecamp. *wink*