Potential ultimate M-E living history experience

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Potential ultimate M-E living history experience

Post by Elleth »

Udwin -
Central/Eastern Europe DOES sound amazing! From what I can tell, they've got an amazing reenactment scene over there!
I'd bet between the community there and the old architecture, something really amazing could be set up.

I'm still slightly inclined towards a landscape that's still primitive as possible - but then, I don't know what they have to play in over there.
Have any of us been in regions over there that would work well, by any chance?

THANK YOU for that date breakdown by the way - that's perfect to use as a start for planning! :)

Odigan -

Now that is a fascinating idea!

Can you talk about more what you have in mind, so far as the broader networking/planning goes?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Elleth wrote:
Central/Eastern Europe DOES sound amazing!
Have any of us been in regions over there that would work well, by any chance?
This too would be my inclination, given the scope of the event - to go all out. That is, if we're going to do something big like this, to pick the ideal location/route, and - given that there are several years intervening - allowing plenty of time to save for the additional expense incurred.

I have been to several countries in Eastern/Central (Eastern to us, Central to them) Europe, any of which would serve wonderfully for an incredible trek - I have greatly enjoyed being there and plan to return. However, they do introduce logistical problems. Aside from getting there, language is more often a barrier than in Western Europe, and this additionally complicates things like medical services, which given the desire for remoteness may also be more difficult to come by. For an event which may necessitate emergency medical care, getting too remote or having too many unknowns related to transport, facilities, and insurance may not be the best situation. Architecturally, while exotic and interesting, not so fitting in my mind with Middle Earth.

While I am honestly almost tired of returning to the UK (when there are other destinations I keep meaning to get to), I could do no wrong in suggesting Tolkien's own backyard. Wales would be an excellent spot, with all sorts of incredible vistas, terrain, and locations, including large National Parks (Brecon Beacons comes to mind). Within England proper the Dartmoors fit perfectly (check out their image gallery and I'm sure you'll agree), and include a number of ancient sites. Such a trip would also allow us to perhaps coordinate visitation of Tolkien-specific sites should we desire. London is typically among the least expensive airfares to purchase, and would eliminate layovers/travel time going further afield.
Elleth wrote:
Odigan -
Can you talk about more what you have in mind, so far as the broader networking/planning goes?
I think its a bit far out for specifics, but once we settled on a location/plan, I think it would make sense to bring greater awareness of that to at least the locale where we intend to be. More broadly, it could be a National/International sort of fun event. I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan, but one can look to that to see how many local events from book readings to baking competitions to costumed shindigs have been held in its name, particularly at libraries or historic sites which fit the "look" and are trying to bolster interest and attendance. Getting people interested in something else through what they already enjoy.

At a basic level, this might be something along the lines of a news headline like "Bunch of wankers pretend to be in Middle Earth and hike around for a week" and could translate to getting people off their ass and taking a walk of their own, or checking out the night sky. State and county parks around here regularly have stargazing events, so tying these things in seems like a no-brainer. I note after the fact that the Brecon Beacons site linked above also has stargazing events lined up. As far as Udwin's concern regarding the Shire reckoning, I see this only as an opportunity to weave a more intriguing backstory to the event. "On this day," as it were. The nuances can come later.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

I'm game hopefully ill be able to go to it
The mountains are calling and I must go.
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Just came across this thread and I think it's a brilliant idea.

I think many of the proposed hike sites (CA, WA, AK, AR, and the Appalachian Trail, not to mention Eastern/Central Europe and England) are all fantastic.

However, I think in terms of cost, accessibility, and centrality, the John Muir Trail and the Appalachian Trail are the best intersection. And like the taco commercial: why not both?

I know it could split our resources, but an East Coast and West Coast hike might also allow for more local folks to join in.

You could do the Appalachian Trail hike to match up with the Shire time frame and the John Muir to match up with later events.

And a lucky few, like maybe me, might be able to do both hikes.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Straelbora wrote:Just came across this thread and I think it's a brilliant idea.

I think many of the proposed hike sites (CA, WA, AK, AR, and the Appalachian Trail, not to mention Eastern/Central Europe and England) are all fantastic.

However, I think in terms of cost, accessibility, and centrality, the John Muir Trail and the Appalachian Trail are the best intersection. And like the taco commercial: why not both?

I know it could split our resources, but an East Coast and West Coast hike might also allow for more local folks to join in.

You could do the Appalachian Trail hike to match up with the Shire time frame and the John Muir to match up with later events.

And a lucky few, like maybe me, might be able to do both hikes.
Funny thing i'm going out to the JMT this summer near the end of July for 14 days and I can find out what it would be like if you wan to do a hike during that time. You can also watch a movie called mile... mile and a half on Netflix it is kinda a documentary on the JMT plus if you want to find want not to do on Youtube there is a video of high schoolers like 17-18 and they had some troubles. I recommend watching those they are both very informational about the trail.
Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

14 days? Buddy...take a few minutes to breathe and take some pictures, will you? That's pretty quick for a once-in-a-lifetime jaunt...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

I was just looking into visiting Camlann. It might be a good objective for west coast rangers.
One thing about blessed Yosemite, it is a national park; I believe there would be many restrictions regarding camping and items of equipment, etc.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Camlann is definitely worth a visit - and yes, it would make a fantastic jumping off point for a Western trek.
That said, while I wouldn't say it's a residential area per se, it's surrounded by enough private property that I think a trek out of there would need to involve transport from the village site to a trailhead elsewhere rather than spending a day or two walking along a modern road (possibly even through Seattle proper, and not the best parts - eek!)

Still - if you're anywhere nearby, it's not to be missed!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

The Pelican Inn connects directly to Muir Woods and Mount Tamalpais. I could go for that.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Greg wrote:14 days? Buddy...take a few minutes to breathe and take some pictures, will you? That's pretty quick for a once-in-a-lifetime jaunt...
Haha I would if we could get more time off for it but as time is money nowadays but we will be bringing go pros for the trip and plan on making a video like an hour and 15 mins or so. I can give you that once it is made then you can see the trail being hiked about 17 miles a day. And you can see what we brought too.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Yes, please! The world needs more ME Ranger videos.
Brownno
Dúnadan

Post by Brownno »

Kortoso wrote:I was just looking into visiting Camlann. It might be a good objective for west coast rangers.
One thing about blessed Yosemite, it is a national park; I believe there would be many restrictions regarding camping and items of equipment, etc.
Yes that is one thing we'd have to check on but once you get out of Yosemite you go into two wildernesses and two other national parks with the JMT and yes we do need more ranger ME things.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Inyo National forest is exceedingly weapons-restrictive. That probably wouldn't fly.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Canada is a beautiful place...but sadly makes it very expensive and time taking to make it to these awesome ideas or moots...would be a great trip though
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Greg wrote:Inyo National forest is exceedingly weapons-restrictive. That probably wouldn't fly.
Speaking of weapons restrictions...
A while back I attended a certain festival in the northern Nevada desert, on BLM land.
BLM land, wild and lawless, right? One of our fellows looked it up and it seems that swords are banned from such a place, but axes are permitted. Basic camping tool, right? :P

On the other hand, these national forests and BLM lands are sparsely patrolled, and their few rangers doubtless have more important things on their minds...