Following the pull

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Re: Following the pull

Post by Udwin »

Had a lovely hike with brothers Greg and Shadow this 17th of Solmath, year 71 Seventh Age. We ventured through the Otter Creek Outdoor Recreation Area (up the Ohio a half-day's paddle from me) for a full afternoon of making tracks...I reckon we walked somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 miles. Temps were in the low 50s, sunny but not hot. Good conversation, good vistas, good times!
Elleth, the 'ruin' is I believe an old smelting furnace for producing pig iron!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

A wonderful tour, yes, but alas, it has come to an end. Time to fill everyone in on what is actually going on.

Some folks I've known in Indiana for a few years prior to our recent move to California made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so as of a few hours ago, I arrived back in Columbus, IN, where I will once again reside. I'm thrilled to be back, and am looking forward to spending more time with you all and once again living more independently thanks to the cheaper cost of living out here.

A few nods to missed connections:
My original plan was to take the most direct route here, which would have had me taking I-70 or I-80 east from Denver after my day with Manveruon, up to Wisconsin to have an overnighter with Odigan in the snow, before coming down south and spending a night at Straelbora's Dragon's Wood Inn, culminating in an arrival here in Columbus. Unfortunately, blizzard conditions closed both of those interstates as I prepared to leave Denver, so I was forced to take the southern road, and head down to I-40 and across the southern U.S. This, conveniently, forced me to be just barely on-time to be present in Arkansas for the birth of my sister's first child, and to be a support for the family as we had a near miss. Due to a complication with the amniotic sac being attached internally, my sister bled profusely upon birth, and we nearly lost her. She's fine now, and has taken several blood transfusions, so it was good to be there to support her, my parents, and her husband. The baby is healthy and perfect, and everyone is doing well now.

Being in Arkansas, I attempted to make a time to meet up with Wulfgar briefly, but the birthing complications nixed that, so we'll have to try again. Sorry I wasn't able to connect, Odigan, Straelbora, and Wulfgar, but we'll do so soon enough!

Thanks, all, for coming along with my travel shenanigans, and for following the pull with me!

I'd invite anyone else with a chance to get out in their kit in the next week or two to post a quick photo barrage here in this thread, too! I'm all for keeping this going, winter weather be darned!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

BRILLIANT! The adventure continues!

Although Saurmon's weather magic may have forced you to detour, it seems like that might have been the very best thing in the end! I am so happy to hear about your new, um... neice? Nephew? Either way! And I'm very glad to hear your sister is doing well after that scare. It must have been pretty rough for you and your family; it's great you were able to be there for them. Funny how these things work out, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm happy to hear you and Shadow are safe in your new/old hometown! I will doubtlessly be posting more pictures here soon enough, after my hike on the 20th. Thanks once again for letting me be a part of your adventure!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Cross country trips are grand to start with - that one sounds even better!

I'm glad your sister is doing well - and congratulations to them both!
Hope your family's move back is a smooth one. : )

Back to sewing I guess so I can join y'all with some nice pictures. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Would have been cool to get together, but I totally understand the circumstances. Hopefully we can do a trek someday.
You can't take the sky from me.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Great stuff there!! I'm hoping now that we're neighbors again we can find the time to meet up for a trek or even a possible overnight.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Definitely on the horizon. Not to say it followed me, but I daresay that the current epicenter of Ranger involvement is nearby...we have the makings of a heck of a moot out here, with a few in Wisconsin, a few in Illinois, a few in Indiana, and a few in Kentucky. Can't begin to tell you how excited I am to be back.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Greg wrote:Definitely on the horizon. Not to say it followed me, but I daresay that the current epicenter of Ranger involvement is nearby...we have the makings of a heck of a moot out here, with a few in Wisconsin, a few in Illinois, a few in Indiana, and a few in Kentucky. Can't begin to tell you how excited I am to be back.
I would love to plan a moot at the Inn this summer. Not much in the way of hiking, but we could all hike around on the forestry land about a 20 minute drive away, and spend the evening at the Inn. And if folks were up for it, doing a work/play weekend would fast-forward so many projects I have. I've been removing the fake log cabin siding (side cuts off of logs from a lumber mill). I was going to use them for roof shingles, but I know see that they are too thick and heavy. Thick and heavy enough that they could be repurposed, say, on a two storey wooden tower, on that flat spot up the hill. And then, there's the wood stove to build.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

This past Saturday, the 20th of February, several friends and I followed the pull. We ventured back to Castlewood Canyon State Park (the same place Greg and I had our hike a few weeks back) and had our very first Colorado ranger moot! Here are a couple pictures to whet your appetites! I also intend to post a separate thread entirely about the trek.

Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains