Midwest Moots, Looking Ahead...

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Midwest Moots, Looking Ahead...

Post by Greg »

A few of us talked a bit right before we parted a few weekends back, about planning ahead for our next trip. My area is convenient for several of us, and the location(s) around here are great, but we'd like to shake things up a little more in a couple of categories.

1) We've spent our last few moots in established, sheltered areas. Namely, a giant rock shelter (twice), and a pre-existing shelter hut (once). We'd like to get off the beaten path a bit again, so we're aiming for some different locales which, at the very least, will save my back. Sleeping on rock and deck boards just don't compare to pine needles and leaves. Not even close.

2) Odigan travels an enormous distance to join us each time we have one of these. My neck of the woods, while convenient to most, is hardly the fairest median along the highway for all nearby interested characters.

In short, I have a location to propose, and a location to request.

Proposal: Nearby, since I intend to continue trekking in the area regardless, I'm putting out feelers on a possible event location a little south of our last one, towards Bloomington, IN: the Charles C. Deam wilderness, where we could easily hike 20+ miles, and could expect to average a nice solid 8-10 to hike in to a select backwoods-y locale of our choosing. Map and info found here. Carrying is legal...as is pretty much anything else we typically do. Gotta love that public land...thank you http://www.wilderness.net.

Request: This is particularly aimed at Ursus, since he's our man on the ground in the area. We're looking for somewhere mid-ish Illinois, where we could cut a bit off of Odigan's travel time to get down here. A cursory look at central Illinois reveals little to me, and southern Illinois (where the only Wilderness areas can be found) is further from him than even we are, I believe. In short, we'll be relying on you a bit to fill us in on what the areas are like. Google satellite shows very random and sparse wooded areas large enough to get lost in...I'm seeing some particularly deep green in the Peoria area, but have no idea how reliable that image is. Let us know what you can come up with, and we'll start working on dates and times to try to run out that way.

Cheers, one and all.

-Greg
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Midwest Moots, Looking Ahead...

Post by Ursus »

I use the Ray Norbut reserve that is 30 minutes away from me in my neighboring county that I've used since high school http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/r4/ray.htm I'm not sure but camping may be possible, I've heard conflicting rumors and have never been able to contact anyone who can tell me for sure.

Also there is the Jim Edgar Panther Creek site but I don't think it would server our purpose well http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages ... Creek.aspx

Additionally many local farmers allow me to range and camp on their land, acreage varies depending on what we would require for the outing. We could set base camp on one of the properties then head out to the reserve for a good days ranging if we were willing to make a small drive. The best bet would be to contact whoever runs Ray Norbut and get a better answer on overnights or to see if we could get permission.

I will look into sites further out and see what I can cobble together.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

I've emailed the powers that be at Ray Norbut...details to follow.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Nice! I sent one a week or more ago and have yet to here back.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Greg

Post by Greg »

Likewise. *sigh*