Re: Locations in the Carolinas

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, that would mix things up a bit and let us get a look at different places too.
  • Greg Edit: Just split this off so we can stay on topic for the upcoming moot, but still chat about locations in North Carolina.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

North Carolina Potential Moot Location Discussion

Post by Greg »

North Carolina, and I'll be there, with some midwest compadres in tow, no doubt.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Southeast Rangers

Post by Eric C »

I wish I had a place here that I could host a gathering. It would be great! I am almost centrally located in the state.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

How far are you from Boonville? I know a place there that we could probably use. Will be up there next month, can check prices.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I don't know where Boonville is. Is it over toward the mountains? If so, it's probably about 4-5 hours from me. But I'm always looking for the opportunity to get to the mountains when I can.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Wilderness.net!

The Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness on the Western Tip of the state butts up against another designated wilderness across the border. Looks like a plenty big enough playground to me!

Zoom in on your state to see all of them here.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Eric C wrote:I don't know where Boonville is. Is it over toward the mountains? If so, it's probably about 4-5 hours from me. But I'm always looking for the opportunity to get to the mountains when I can.
Boonville is just of I77, northwest of Winston Salem. Of course North Carolina has some phenomenal state parks and wilderness areas as well, which is more than I can say for SC.

Nice info, Greg, on the wilderness areas. Still not much in SC but there are enough nearby that (if I ever have the time) I could do some traveling.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

E.MacKermak wrote:
Eric C wrote:I don't know where Boonville is. Is it over toward the mountains? If so, it's probably about 4-5 hours from me. But I'm always looking for the opportunity to get to the mountains when I can.
Boonville is just of I77, northwest of Winston Salem. Of course North Carolina has some phenomenal state parks and wilderness areas as well, which is more than I can say for SC.

Nice info, Greg, on the wilderness areas. Still not much in SC but there are enough nearby that (if I ever have the time) I could do some traveling.

Ah, okay. We don't have too much around here except Medoc Mnt State park. It really isn't a mountain, but they believe it was several million years ago - if you are into that theory about the Earth's age. Medoc has some nice hiking trails, but I don't know if they would freak over swords and bows and such.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Now that I've got a rough idea where you're at, Eric C., I think either hopping across the border north into Virginia, or heading west a bit to this lovely place, which appears to be the closest NC wilderness site to you. The northern bit on the map is the wilderness itself, but it's the northern tip of the entire Uwharrie national forest, so I'm seeing a pretty sizeable chunk of public land there to go traipsing about in. We'd have to do some looking-in-to on local weapons laws, but other than any state regs, the wilderness areas are typically no-holds-barred.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Not my stomping ground any more, but I have extended family down that way. If you can make it as far west as Pisgah or Cherokee, you're in for a treat. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

The in-laws are that exciting, eh?
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I proposed to my wife on Morrow Mountain in the Uwharrie range. I need to get over that way again.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

We were up in the Pisgah in Banner Elk for the wedding this weekend before driving down to the S.E. Ranger moot. What a glorious climate, 62 degrees crisp and clear, a happy dwarf was I! We then drove back down to Trenton and into the muggy, buggy, SC woods. Not as glorious, but the company more than made up for the climate. We had a great time! Pictures/videos will follow if I can figure out how to post them! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ringulf wrote:We were up in the Pisgah in Banner Elk for the wedding this weekend before driving down to the S.E. Ranger moot. What a glorious climate, 62 degrees crisp and clear, a happy dwarf was I! We then drove back down to Trenton and into the muggy, buggy, SC woods. Not as glorious, but the company more than made up for the climate. We had a great time! Pictures/videos will follow if I can figure out how to post them! :mrgreen:
It was great to meet you two this weekend! I'm very glad you could make it.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Sounds like you wound up with a hell of a turnout! Can't wait to see a recap!