The Morannon and Mordor today.

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

The Morannon and Mordor today.

Post by Will Whitfoot »

Well, it's been many umpty thousands of the years of our world since Barad-Dur fell, but the Tower of Light that the Elves set up on the former site of the Dark Tower can still be seen through the ruins of the Morannon, when the moon is in just the right phase and the wind blows from the west. I chanced to stumble upon the site quite by accident whilst on a prospecting expedition in Southern Nevada. Here is what I saw:
The Morannon has been completely eroded by time, and stripped of any recyclable metals. The only artifacts lying about were a few old orkish stone tool fragments. The only things that grow here are sagebrush and a few struggling shrubs. But through the gap in the hills you can see the Tower of Light that forever comemmorates the heroic deeds done to cleanse darkness once and for all from Middle-earth. Beyond the Tower of Light you can just make out through the smokes and steams the smouldering pile of rubble that is all that remains of the extinguished Orodruin. Here is a closeup showing the Tower of Light more clearly. It is so bright with the awesome power of Eru that the eye can scarcely stand to gaze directly up on it in person.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Re: The Morannon and Mordor today.

Post by Kortoso »

Excellent review, thank you for sharing this information!
It's also excellent jackalope hunting as well.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

I only saw one jackalope... some miles north of the Morannon, and it must have been a female because it didn't have antlers. I inadvertently almost walked right on it. It stood up suddenly from a shallow hole not ten feet from me and bounded off. I looked it straight in the eye. it was taller than a hobbit and the sound of it running was just like the thrumming of an antelope. I could not have been more astonished! I am certain it was a jackalope, because an ordinary jackrabbit could not possibly have been so large. Those Morannon pictures are unretouched by the way... made with a Nikon Coolpix L-20. All I did was crop the frame and enhance contrast a little.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Some modern orc-hybrids may be using the tower to generate energy for their mysterious industries. :P
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

Kortoso wrote:Some modern orc-hybrids may be using the tower to generate energy for their mysterious industries. :P
Hmm... could be. You can actually see it on Google Earth at NAD-84, UTM 11s, 468523mE, 4232481mN.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Indeed. Approximately 38.23978N 117.35969W. They mean to steal the very energy from the sun! No wonder it's been so cold lately.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Wild! So that's... actually a glowing tower in the distance? A solar collector?

What magic in this age! It looks spectacular! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.