Synopsis for Amazon series revealed.

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Synopsis for Amazon series revealed.

Post by Cimrandir »

Looks like they're headed to Númenor.

EXCLUSIVE: Official Show Synopsis for Amazon’s LORD OF THE RINGS Series
Amazon Studios’ forthcoming series brings to screens for the very first time the heroic legends of the fabled Second Age of Middle-earth’s history. This epic drama is set thousands of years before the events of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and will take viewers back to an era in which great powers were forged, kingdoms rose to glory and fell to ruin, unlikely heroes were tested, hope hung by the finest of threads, and the greatest villain that ever flowed from Tolkien’s pen threatened to cover all the world in darkness. Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth. From the darkest depths of the Misty Mountains, to the majestic forests of the elf-capital of Lindon, to the breathtaking island kingdom of Númenor, to the furthest reaches of the map, these kingdoms and characters will carve out legacies that live on long after they are gone.
Color me not enthused as I don't trust or like Amazon. I'm rather leery of this series already with the supposed call for nudity willing actors and actresses.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Synopsis for Amazon series revealed.

Post by caedmon »

:|

But surely such a travesty may never be.

But who am I kidding.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
RangerofAngmar
Wanderer

Post by RangerofAngmar »

Númenor will be great to see

the people, culture and lore are something special withing Tolkien's stories so seeing it portrayed on screen will be a gift
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Given the spotty source material that far back, it would be tricky to do that even with the very best of intentions.

hmm.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Found a very interesting post on Reddit which goes through all the evidence, lays out a potential time-frame, and makes an educated guess on what the main plot-line will be for the first season at least. Maybe they won't actually get too deep into Númenor at first.

Okay, lets get the timeframe right, once and for all!
So just to TL;DR things, evidence suggests the show is going to focus on the timeframe of the mid-Second Age, approximately between the years 1500-1700, in which Sauron fools the Elves into forging the Rings of Power and finally goes to a brief war against them. This storyline is Elf-centric and should feature Eriador more prominently than Numenor (although it and its haven in Middle Earth at Lond Daer will probably feature prominently) and have recurring characters like younger versions of Elrond and Galadriel, reportedly as its leads.

Evidence suggests Amazon will focus on the Elves and the story of the Forging of the Great Rings, with Galadriel (Morfydd Clark), Elrond (Robert Aramayo?), Sauron (Joseph Mawle?) and Celebrimbor forming the core group of characters. Locations featured will be Eregion, Lindon and possibly Moria and Lorien.

A disguised Sauron will tempt and trick Celebrimbor into forging Rings of power, against the advice of Galadriel and Elrond (and Gil-galad), before attacking Celebrimbor and his kingdom.

The Numenoreans, at this time under the rule of Tar-Telperien, will most likely feature as a subplot, focusing on the isolationistic rule of the queen, to the dismay of her nephew Minastir who wishes to extend aid to the Elves.

The Numenorean haven in Middle Earth, Lond Daer, will probably feature prominently, with the Numenoreans waging a war against the indigenous tribes. We'll probably get some original characters on the side of the indiginous people, as well. Eventually, Minastir will ascend the throne and order an assault on Sauron's forces, helping the Elves push him out of Eriador.

Main plot-points that seasons can end on may include the Forging of the One Ring, the sack of Ost-in-Edhil, Siege of Imladris, Sauron camping on the shore of the Lhun and the Battle of Gwathlo. Earlier events like the story of Aldarion and Erendis will most likely be elided, and later events like the rise of the Nazgul, Akallabeth and Last Alliance, might feature in a spin-off show instead.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I hope to be proven wrong but I can't see this going well...

Whatever they come out with will be considered the new canon. There will be an entire generation of people introduced to the world of Tolkien because it's the latest and greatest thing but it's likely the only content they ever see will be this TV series.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Hanasian
Wanderer

Post by Hanasian »

The fact this is reported to be costing a half a billion dollars for the 1st season... as ever, I hope for the best and expect the worst as I did with the movies.
Hanasían
Annalist, Physician, & Historian
of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
The Free Company of Arnor