The Hobbit - a new vid from PJ

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: The Hobbit - a new vid from PJ

Post by Ernildir »

wulfgar wrote:I may need to go back and read the book again, but I don't recall the dwarves carrying weapons at all until Thorin and Gandalf find Glamdring and Orcrist. I don't recall the other dwarves having any weapons until the battle at the end, except for the bows that Beorn gave them. The purpose of their journey was supposed to be kept secret so why would they go marching across the land displaying their weapons in the open?
I've just been rereading, and you are correct; they were basically unarmed other than all carrying knives.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I do believe many of them were carrying mining tools which as you know, in the hands of a dwarf are as good as weapons anyway. Picks, maddox, sledges, etc, can be unobtrusive yet deadly, so I am sure they had them along for more than mining.
I guess PJ did this to give them more individual personality and let's face it, appeal to fans of adventure fantasy that need to have some more physical machismo in their heroes. I kinda see it as the same reason he gave Strider his ranger sword instead of a broken heirloon as Borimir described Narsul. A broken sword or an unarmed dwarf screams "impotency" in the minds of many, and we could not have that now could we!
Frankly It is not too far into the movie that they get to the three trolls perhaps that is were they become armed. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I'm one who can enjoy the books, as well as the films, I know there were some major changes from the books in THE LORD OF THE RINGS film trilogy, but to me, being a huge movie fan. I think Peter did a fantastic job. I look at them as two distinct works of art.
THE HOBBIT will certainly stray from the written word as well. but I'm cool with that, if it turns out as good as PJ's past efforts.

http://www.thegate.ca/social/012350/kee ... countdown/

I'm counting the days till it opens,

RHG
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.