The Great Eagle Debate

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Which side do you agree with?

The Eagles would have totally been the right answer
9%
No way would the Eagles have been able to solve the problem
55%
I really don't know, maybe or maybe not. I can't decide.
No votes
Silly hobbit it is just fiction, the author did not want to end the story too soon.
36%

Total votes: 11
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: The Great Eagle Debate

Post by Elleth »

Daerir wrote: Just to throw in my two cents about the Scouring of the Shire not being in the movies. I personally think that would have made the movie lack in effect....
Oh yeah.. when we saw it in the theater, the whole audience GROANED when the screen came back light again for the "carriage ride to the Grey Havens" scene.

You can only get away with "oh wait! One more thing!" so many times in a film.

(And we didn't even have to see the "raining skulls" scene in that release! :) )
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

ineffableone wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:Okay, if the 9 being unhorsed was a deciding factor in the
timetable, what about Saruman ? He was still n the picture
at the time of the Council.

He could summon a storm, knock the Eagles out of the sky and
simply send out parties to search the debris for the ring.
Now the White Wizard is a very good point and one I had not put much thought into. Though how powerful and able to knock the eagles out of the sky is a big question. And would he possible switch back onto the good side if he knew that the eagles could bypass the risk of walking the ring to Mordor?
At the time he was the technicolor dream wizard, that is, Saruman of the many colors, even so, I do not think he would have the power to fully interrupt the plan only hinder it as he showed on Caradras, had he that power he would have used it then. Not that I am siding with "Operation Ringraptor" I just want to keep an even playing feild! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
ineffableone
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ineffableone »

wulfgar wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:Okay, if the 9 being unhorsed was a deciding factor in the
timetable, what about Saruman ? He was still n the picture
at the time of the Council.

He could summon a storm, knock the Eagles out of the sky and
simply send out parties to search the debris for the ring.
Now the White Wizard is a very good point and one I had not put much thought into. Though how powerful and able to knock the eagles out of the sky is a big question. And would he possible switch back onto the good side if he knew that the eagles could bypass the risk of walking the ring to Mordor?
Saruman completely missed an Eagle nearly landing on his roof.
LOL, very good point. though I do suspect the argument of once the ring was on board the Eagles and the Eye spotted them, he would be called on to stop them. Which is a fair argument. But as mentioned bellow.
Ringulf wrote:I do not think he would have the power to fully interrupt the plan only hinder it as he showed on Caradras, had he that power he would have used it then. Not that I am siding with "Operation Ringraptor" I just want to keep an even playing feild! :mrgreen:
He was not exactly able to just shoot them down and stop the Fellowship when he was trying. Sure he was able to make a storm in the mountains, but could he have stopped the Eagles from flying into Mordor?