End sequence song from "The Hobbit: Battle 5 Armies"

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Straelbora
Haeropada

End sequence song from "The Hobbit: Battle 5 Armies"

Post by Straelbora »

Has anyone else listened to the Billy Boyd song that will be the end sequence music for the last "Hobbit" film?

I kind of like it. I thought the songs for parts I and II were insipid and very Euro-pop. This song, in both its tone and lyrics, tries really hard to evoke Professor Tolkien's poetry.*

*Derp. I googled info on the song, and indeed the lyrics do derive in part from Tolkien's "A Walking Song," as did the song Boyd sang in "The Return of the King."
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: End sequence song from "The Hobbit: Battle 5 Armies"

Post by Rifter »

I've only heard the beginning but it's ok....Might take a while to grow on me. I think my fav from Hobbit is still Misty Mountains Cold.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Much like the Hobbit movies themselves, I WANT to like it. I want SO BADLY to like it, but... I dunno.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

The Last Goodbye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4j_kCQ4f2Q

I definitely prefer Enya and Annie's tracks best
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Lovely!
Billy has such a sweet voice. He really does sound like a Hobbity gent singing of the return trip from Erebor to Hobbiton.
I would love to do some writing about that return trip and mark the Journey Home and what it might have been like to travel with Beorn and Gandalf back to Beorn's home for Yule and then continue back over the Misty Mountains to Rivendell and on home to the Shire.
The text mentions that the roads so soon after the battle were not entirely safe and that they had many adventures, and that gets my creative juices going! (as does this song) :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ringulf wrote:Lovely!
Billy has such a sweet voice. He really does sound like a Hobbity gent singing of the return trip from Erebor to Hobbiton.
I would love to do some writing about that return trip and mark the Journey Home and what it might have been like to travel with Beorn and Gandalf back to Beorn's home for Yule and then continue back over the Misty Mountains to Rivendell and on home to the Shire.
The text mentions that the roads so soon after the battle were not entirely safe and that they had many adventures, and that gets my creative juices going! (as does this song) :mrgreen:
Indeed! Just reading your post makes me want to go for a hike in the woods.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I always thought Pippin singing for Denethor was one of the highlights of ROTK. The melody line is haunting, as is the overall lack of tempo (a personal love of mine...arhythmic music)...sounds great on pipes.

I was pleased to hear them reprise it in the trailer...though I somehow doubt it'll find its way into the film.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I quite like it. I think it fits in well with the songs from LOTR. I haven't ever had issues with the end songs from any film LOTR or Hobbit and the music is always done well. If you just listened to the scores from AUJ through to ROTK it should feel like one long score