R-rated Hobbits?

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

R-rated Hobbits?

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit series has always featured violent battles and exhilarating carnage, but never anything unsuitable for the whole family – that could all change very soon. According to a recent announcement in anticipation of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies coming to DVD and Blu-ray, the extended version of the film will include the R-rated cut of the film.

Warner Bros. spoke out on the change, noting that the “Extended Edition” home release for The Battle of the Five Armies features “some violence” not present in the original theatrical release of the film. As the final installment of The Hobbit franchise, the added violence likely comes as a desire to better convey the gravity of danger faced by the protagonists, and establish the stakes of the battle.
The-Hobbit-.jpg
The-Hobbit-.jpg (183.85 KiB) Viewed 22109 times
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Re: R-rated Hobbits?

Post by Rifter »

Locally here they are re releasing all three extended cut films into theatres for a while.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Would this be a bad time to admit that I still haven't seen BOT5A?

Just wasn't a priority after the disappointment of the first two, haven't gotten around to it.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Greg wrote:Would this be a bad time to admit that I still haven't seen BOT5A?

Just wasn't a priority after the disappointment of the first two, haven't gotten around to it.
Likewise.

Though now that they're all out, I'm sure a good fan edit of all of 'em will be circulating soon - if it's not already.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I heard rumors about the R-rating, and I have to admit, I'm not pleased by the announcement. But then, as much as it pains me to say it, I think PJ and Co. made a real hash of these films, altogether. I don't know if I hate them as much as the Star Wars prequels... but it'd be a close race, in some ways. I actually really enjoyed An Unexpected Journey (with some notable complaints), but the Desolation of Smaug was pretty nearly unforgivable, and while the Battle of the 5 Armies was a slight improvement over DOS, it honestly didn't need to exist at all, and mostly consisted of meaningless filler and CGI.

I understand where die-hard Tolkien enthusiasts would have had major problems with the Lord of the Rings films, but I still loved them. Fellowship was definitely the best, IMO, and was also, incidentally, the truest book-to-film adaptation of the lot, but even as the others got a bit bloated and veered from the source material, I still think that, overall, the trilogy was a success. The Hobbit, on the other hand... ugh, yeah, yikes.

That all being said, I have to admit that I'm a bit excited about the release of the extended editions, because I am still holding out hope that someone out there will take all of the "good stuff" and edit it down into either two really solid two-hour films, or even one decent 3-hour film. I think there is plenty of good material there, for the most part, to whittle it down into a watchable story, so here's to hoping. It'll never be the adaptation I wanted, but I feel like I might get something that at least doesn't make me seethe with geek-rage. Fingers crossed.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I just want a Thorin funeral...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

AAAARGH, ME TOO!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

It apparently WAS filmed though, beeeecause...

Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Additional graphic violence doesn't really matter when the heroes are fighting a green screen.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
LegenGary
Wayfarer

Post by LegenGary »

Straelbora wrote:Additional graphic violence doesn't really matter when the heroes are fighting a green screen.
I just came across this thread and couldn't help but giggle after reading this. :P
Will Whitfoot
Dúnadan

Post by Will Whitfoot »

LegenGary wrote: I just came across this thread and couldn't help but giggle after reading this. :P
Yes... the subject line "R-rated Hobbits" had me thinking we were talking some Rosie and Sam honeymoon scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor. Arwen and Aragorn? Faramir and Eowyn?
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

Will Whitfoot wrote:
LegenGary wrote: I just came across this thread and couldn't help but giggle after reading this. :P
Yes... the subject line "R-rated Hobbits" had me thinking we were talking some Rosie and Sam honeymoon scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor. Arwen and Aragorn? Faramir and Eowyn?
Me too. Google "Knobbit" if you're curious. :mrgreen:
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
Villaro

Post by Villaro »

Will Whitfoot wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:51 pm
LegenGary wrote: I just came across this best sarms thread and couldn't help but giggle after reading this. :P
Are you talking about the Knobbit trailer, Kortoso? That's some funny stuff lmao.