Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Post by Daerir »

I don't know how many of you rangers are gamers, but I just saw a sneak peak of a brand new LOTR based game. The only info I could get was the very basic plot:

The events of the game take place between the universes of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, as written by J.R.R. Tolkien.The family of ranger Talion is killed by Sauron's armies, and he himself is also killed, but soon revived with "wraith-like abilities" and heads to Mordor to exact his revenge. The story involves the Rings of Power, but the story is separate to The Lord of the Rings canon. However, Warner Bros. maintains that the stories will align.

I think the idea of a Ranger Wraith is !@#$%^& AWESOME
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Post by Greg »

This sounds an awful lot like Asassin's Creed meets Middle Earth.

Which, in itself, sounds fun...but I wouldn't view it as an actual extension of Middle Earth.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I think this game has serious potential as an RPG. Whether or not they meet up with my dreams is hard to tell :lol:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I noticed something about that on Facebook. Sounds really cool. I'm not a gamer myself, but the concept is an intriguing one. I doubt it's something Tolkien would have ever remotely written, but it seems to fit into the established canon nonetheless. Pretty neat looking.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I get the collywobbles at the now pedantic and extreme use of the anti-hero or dark hero nowadays.
I wish that things would swing back towards the good being good and the bad being bad! These complex tortured heroes are becoming so common that the paladin is bound to make a return!
If I have to root for another sparkly vampire werewolf wraith-like emo teen, I am gonna puke! :twisted: (no offense to any of you who fit the discription) :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ringulf wrote:
If I have to root for another sparkly vampire werewolf wraith-like emo teen, I am gonna puke! :twisted: (no offense to any of you who fit the discription) :wink:
None taken :)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, fair enough. Personally, I love the "tortured hero" archetype. But hey, there's another Captain America movie coming out soon, if you need a fix of the straight-up good-guy, and it looks pretty darn good!

That being said, I do agree that the traditional hero type is bound to make a return in a big way sooner or later.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Khaehaub
Dúnadan

Post by Khaehaub »

I'm making an attempt to write a book at the moment. Perhaps the traditional hero type will make a big appearance.
May the best dwarf win... That still only counts as one!
~Gimli
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Caught an update about this project on TOR.N today, and while I knew from the first announcement that it wasn't going to be my style, I can now say with confidence that I won't be going anywhere near the finished game.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/02 ... reenshots/

It's definitely a product of the Right Now times, what with the pervasive: Orange/Blue palette, disregard for laws of physics (300-style overhead-leaping-with-swords abound!), slow-mo ramping, 'gritty anti-hero', &c. I could go on... The ad nauseam use of these tropes cause most new media to look identical (see PJ's latest trilogy for more examples).
I would have no problem with the game if it were just Assassin's Creed in Generic Fantasy World (it would be much easier for me to just brush it aside). But it has unfortunately been branded with the name of Middle-earth, to which this game bears little-to-no resemblance. I imagine the Professor is rolling in his grave from the association between his subcreation and this spawn-of-the- :evil: Entertainment-Industrial Complex swill.

Ahem. Pardon my venting. I find these kinds of hyperviolent distractions decidedly orkish and entirely at odds with the Life-affirming writings of the Professor. I'd like to believe that one day someone will create an interactive interpretation of Middle-earth which will actually reflect Tolkien's world, but as long as money is involved, I fear we can expect more of the same lowest-common-denominator fare.
In resolving to live a life of hobbitry, I feel one must remain consciously aware of all he consumes (this is not limited to food, drink, and cosmetics, of course, but ideas and media as well); I seem to be in the vast minority in this respect.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Udwin wrote: Ahem. Pardon my venting. I find these kinds of hyperviolent distractions decidedly orkish and entirely at odds with the Life-affirming writings of the Professor. I'd like to believe that one day someone will create an interactive interpretation of Middle-earth which will actually reflect Tolkien's world, but as long as money is involved, I fear we can expect more of the same lowest-common-denominator fare.
In resolving to live a life of hobbitry, I feel one must remain consciously aware of all he consumes (this is not limited to food, drink, and cosmetics, of course, but ideas and media as well); I seem to be in the vast minority in this respect.
Well said my friend and remember that it is not a bad thing to be in the minority now a days, in fact, it shows a rather strong character not to be just one more sheep! I applaud you, and would only wish to find myself in such a position. As I recall it does not work out all that well for the sheep, yes they are well cared for, but ultimately end up getting sheered and slaughtered for their trust. :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

I think the nemesis system could revolutionize modern gameplay... If they don't screw it up! many times before i've thought, "THAT could change gaming" and been let down. This would be a new game EVERY time you play. From what I understand after reading a few articles, they created hundreds of objects called traits. Every NPC is given a random amount of random traits. AWESOME!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ps7puWAz1E[/youtube]
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Yep, that demo seals it.

It's Assassin's Creed in Mordor. Sounds like a fun game to play, but I would go out of my way to keep myself from thinking it was actually Middle Earth.

No thanks.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.