Emberverse

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Emberverse

Post by E.MacKermak »

Since it is in the description, I thought I would ask. How many of you have read these books? Basically, the world is thrown into a state where electricity and explosives no longer work. Very interesting insight on the differences in leaders and how the leader's outlook affects the followers.

Still reading the series, on book 5. Pretty good, but then I like SM Stirling.

Any other opinions.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
kaelln

Re: Emberverse

Post by kaelln »

I've read all but the very latest one. This is one of those series that I read over and over. It's the first series I've read that treats Paganism respectfully for one thing. Both Wicca and Asatru are treated in the series, and both are accorded respect.

Another thing that I really like about it is it's just great fun. The "Eater" scenes, of which there are entirely too few, in particular are like zombie movies. My biggest complaint is that he moves too fast, skipping whole decades between books. I really like the "how do we survive in the changed world?" parts more than the "how do we beat the big bad guy" parts. I would have eaten up an entire separate series about how Astrid and Eiller create the Rangers.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I read one of the series; the Dies the Fire set. I have not read the other series thus far.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I've read the "Dies the Fire" the series where the Hampton town goes back in time with the Coast Guard cutter. Forgot the name of that series, although it's in the house somewhere.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

Peter, I believe you are referring to the Nantucket series, which I haven't read.

I have read the Emberverse series up to The Sword of the Lady. Looking forward to The High King. Yes, nice, fanciful read. Don't like some aspects, same mentioned above, ie skipping so much time, not enough Eater-conflicts, but otherwise, OK.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Last edited by Cimrandir on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
armchair
Wanderer

Post by armchair »

I'm hooked. I wait for each September when the next book comes out, and I read the teaser chapters on his website until then. I do think the story bogged down in some later books, the Rudi stories; I liked the first two of those, but thought the next couple dragged in spots. I think the story is getting back on track now.

Like Beornmann, I think the Eaters dropped out of the picture too early.

I like the anthropological side of it, how whole new cultures develop out of disaster and necessity. Also, I like the fight scenes. :)
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

kaelln wrote: I would have eaten up an entire separate series about how Astrid and Eiller create the Rangers.
And are Astrid and Eiller's Rangers really non-Tolkien? I mean they are entirely built from Astrid's love of the Dunedain Rangers (going so far as to name them that) and based completely on "The Histories". Not too different from us, except we don't require our members to be fluent in Sindarin. And we don't have to fight daily for our survival.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Here's how I see Astrid and Eiller's Dundedain being different. Instead of trying to steer away from non-period items, A & E would have used whatever modern materials and techniques they could. I remember a conversation on this particular point: "What are we going to do when there are no more sports bras?".

Another specific difference is the use of American Sign Language. Since Eiller is deaf, all the Dunedain are required to learn ASL, which works out to be quite useful.

On a touchy topic, A & E's Rangers have very specific and definite standards and training protocols. These would doubtless be influenced by Bearkiller A-list standards, and those that Sam Ailward established for McKenzie bow and militia training. Tolkien's Dunedain, being naturally superior men as opposed to say, me, for instance, wouldn't have to train as hard as the more realistic folks in the Dies the Fire series, and a lot of the skills would be culturally picked up rather than specifically trained for.

So, somewhat like us, but much more serious and cohesive.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

It is a great series also, I have read all the books out in paperback, I believe the last was "High King of Montival"
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"