Anyone read Ariel: A book of the Change?

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Anyone read Ariel: A book of the Change?

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

I read Ariel in high school, and it has a similar plot to Dies the Fire, I think, except that technology doesn't work because magic returns to the world. It follows the story of a boy and his unicorn. A good read.

http://www.amazon.com/Ariel-Change-Stev ... 0441029205

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Anyone read Ariel: A book of the Change?

Post by Pwyll »

I read this one. Very cool concept, and well thought out.

But I thought one plot development near the end, the one that determines the new relationship, was extremely contrived and forced.

And the last bit with Malachi Lee, as well. Had me scratching my head.

But, overall, a very good read. I was hoping for a few more in what could have been a fascinating series.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Actually there is a sequel, it just took him 20 years to write it lol

http://www.elegybeach.com/

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Very cool. Another book I'll have to check out.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

There is a new version of Ariel that is supposedly somewhat expanded and with some of the "glaring errors" (author's words) fixed.

http://www.amazon.com/Ariel-Steven-R-Bo ... t_ep_dpt_2

I haven't read either version, and from the reviews it seems to be one of those books you either love or hate. The main complaint seems to be the ending; even some of those that liked the book hated the ending. The other complaints revolve around the author being immature and not quite having down skills like characterization. Ken, what did you think of the book? Have you read the sequel?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I haven't read the sequel, but it's on my to-do list :D I do remember the ending as being a bit convenient, if I remember right. I always thought it was neat that the character ended up in a farmhouse in NC. I guess being around 18 when I read it, I didn't mind if the writing wasn't more mature, but since it was narrated by the main character, maybe I thought this was on purpose. To be honest, the main reason I remember the book so fondly was that it was lent to me by a classmate, and he and I both loved talking about it. We played D&D together quite a bit and he was a great guy. Sadly, he cut class one afternoon and was horsing around with a group of guys at a nearby store when he was racing in a car with a T-top. It flipped over, pinning him, and he died. We were in French class and I remember hearing the crash. So, I think of him when I think of that book. So strange sometimes of the things that remind us of those who go on before us.

Ken