Rangers Apprentice Stuff

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Rangers Apprentice Stuff

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Just finished re-reading books one through eleven and am halfway into 12....which I thought to be the last.... but this November a prequel comes out ....following Halt as an apprentice and Crowley as his Ranger teacher.... here is the cover.
RANGERS APPRENTICE EARLY YEARS.jpg
RANGERS APPRENTICE EARLY YEARS.jpg (29.43 KiB) Viewed 22944 times
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Not that I just had Sushi (which I wish I had) but we are waiting with "Baited" breath!! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

YES!! I KNEW J.FLANAGAN WOULDNT HANG UP THE RANGERS SO EASILY!!

I admit, I've been putting off Book 12 because I'm just not ready for an end, but with this! I have hope :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I'm just about to start the Sorcerer of the North. Glad to see were getting more of these
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

The Sorcerer of the North was definitely one of my favorites. In fact, I'd probably count it as my number-one favorite of the whole series (though that is a close run race). I never did read the Emperor of Nihon-Ja, mainly because the concept of rangers from "Medieval England" travelling to "Japan" didn't totally grab me (I felt it was a bit of a stretch). Still, I loved the series overall, and this new book sounds interesting. I quite like Crowley, and it will be cool to get a little insight into the mind of a young Halt.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

There's all these you tube casting vids on who should play who if the film ever gets off the ground. I have to say I think Liam Neeson would make an excellent Crowley
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Does anybody know if this book came out?! I would love to pick it up if it has :)
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

RangerKellen wrote:Does anybody know if this book came out?! I would love to pick it up if it has :)

Yep, Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ngers+book

Looks like only Hardcover so far.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I really lost interest in the series after the final* book came out for a very specific reason. I won't spoil it here but it has to do with a certain character's fate. I don't care how mature and realistic you want to be Mr. Flanagan, that is not the ending to make me happy. I know the feelings of one reader is not really your concern and perhaps I'm being selfish but honestly I don't care. You just don't do that to a person. The gradual "de-fantasying" was not helping either. I like fantasy, dangit. Not some pseudo-alternate history with no magic or monsters.

*The Royal Ranger
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Heh, see the "de-fantasying" of the world was one of the things I most enjoyed about the series as it went along, but I can see where that might put off others. I just enjoyed that the world he created became more realistic and tangible the longer the series went on. Still, I never got past the point of Halt's Peril to read the Emperor of Nihon-Ja, because I didn't really enjoy the idea of these rangers travelling to "Japan." It felt improbable to me, given that the books seem to take place during a period of time allegorical to somewhere between the Viking Age and the crusades. Still, I heard it was good, so I might go back and finish the series. Haven't quite decided yet. I'm concerned though, now that you say that...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Here is the latest....these books are so good.
RA-The-Early-Years-2-HC[1].jpg
RA-The-Early-Years-2-HC[1].jpg (91.36 KiB) Viewed 21712 times
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.