Rangers Apprentice Stuff

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Rangers Apprentice Stuff

Post by RangerKellen »

Haha! I thought he might marry Cassandra but then Horace came and I knew he wouldn't :(

Those are some very good picks for the actors! I think my picks revolve around all of yours!! :)
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

I disagree about halt this role is for Vigo Mortensen
...I am Ranger, my Lord...
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Sorry Viggo's too innocent for me. Halt needs a bit of grumpy dark sarchasm to him that would just come accross like the russian mafioso character he played.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, agreed!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Ringulf wrote:Sorry Viggo's too innocent for me. Halt needs a bit of grumpy dark sarchasm to him that would just come accross like the russian mafioso character he played.
Even if you are right about mortensen Hugh Jackman looks too modern for that role!
What do you say about Jeremy Irons?
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Jackman need not look modern that is just make up and costume, get the right hair (and perhaps loose a bit of the wolverene sideburns thing) and he would be fine, look at the movie Autralia.
As I said Jeremy has a great look, but is not the physical tough guy I picture in Halt.
If you are going for a good look that can be made gruff and is yet somewhat more action based try out Pierce Brosnan!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Actually... yeah, Pierce Brosnan might indeed make a good halt. Hadn't considered him at all. And once again, he's Irish.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Pierce Brosman would make a very fine Halt!
-J.R.R. Tolkien
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

*Brosnan
-J.R.R. Tolkien
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Most of these actors being proposed for Halt are way too thin and handsome. Someone's going to suggest Matthew Mcconaughey next! Of course my top pick is dead, so I guess I shouldn't complain. But for you young'uns out there, this is Oliver Reed:

Halt's description, as best I remember it, his beard is bushy, and his dark eyes are steady and unwavering. He has unkempt hair that looks as if he cut it himself with his knife. He looks grim and forboding, though he has a sarcastic sense of humor. Again, I give you Oliver Reed:

Reed stared in well over a hundred movies, and was a legendary drinker and ladies man. Not at all personally like Halt, he still looked like him, and more than had the acting chops to pull it off. A quote attributed to Reed:

"My only regret is that I didn't drink every pub dry and sleep with every woman on the planet."

His last movie was Gladiator, for which he was paid $1,000,000, and for which he cost the movie company an extra $3,000,000 because they had to CG his unfinished scenes when he died. He died of a heart attack in a bar after downing three bottles of Captain Morgan's Jamaica rum, eight bottles of German beer, numerous doubles of Famous Grouse whiskey and Hennessy cognac, and beating five much younger Royal Navy sailors at arm-wrestling. His bar bill for that final lunch time totaled 270 Maltese lira, almost £450. Reed once said: "Richard Burton was hitting the bottle with Jimmy Hurt the night before his death. He knew it was going to kill him, but he did not stop. I don't have a drink problem. But if that was the case and doctors told me I would have to stop, I'd like to think I would be brave enough to drink myself into the grave." And so he did.

Reed was a legend that could outdrink, outfight, and outact anyone. If you've never seen an Oliver Reed movie, do yourself a favor and pick one up. You won't be sorry. My personal suggestion? 1973's "The Three Musketeers" and it's followup "The Four Musketeers". (Christopher Lee is in those, as well as a veritable who's who of 1970's acting royalty.)

But no, sadly, we can't have Reed. Except in my head, and that's where it really counts, eh?
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Oliver Reed as Cap'n Billy Bones on TNT's Treasure Island. Unforgettable. The man could act, to put it simply. He'd be my choice as well.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

I've seen the three musketeers two times and I loved it! Who did Oliver Reed play in it?
-J.R.R. Tolkien
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

My personal favorite Oliver Reed film, Black Arrow. I've seen that movie so many times! Truely an amazing actor.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Erhilir

Post by Erhilir »

Yeah Reed would be a good choice
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

RangerKellen wrote:I've seen the three musketeers two times and I loved it! Who did Oliver Reed play in it?
Well, The Three Musketeers has been a movie about 20 different times, so it depends on which version you saw! My source said Reed's version was from 1973, but I don't think that could be correct. I saw it with my brand new bride (now my ex), so it must have been around 1975 or 1976, and he played the tragic Athos. Aramis was played by Richard Chamberlain, Porthos was played by Frank Finlay, and D'Artangnan was played by Michael York. The evil Milady was played by Faye Dunaway, the empty headed but beautiful Constance by Rachel Welch, Christopher Lee was the sinister Rochefort, and Charlton Heston was the scheming Cardinal Richelieu. Just an amazing cast, and a great movie.