Araluen Ranger Corp Seax Knife and Axe combo with leathers

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Araluen Ranger Corp Seax Knife and Axe combo with leathers

Post by Ringulf »

I was not sure where to post this one.

RA Stuff? CS Seax Project? Or Leatherwork.

Well since the Non-Tolkien Ranger stuff is a bit scant still, I will start here.

I have been saying I wanted to make a good run at Flanagin's Ranger Sax (as he spells it).

I want to make the thrower too but have not arrived on the right piece for that. I have several in mind but I am not quite there yet.

My Son in an avid Rangers Apprentice fan and is also doing very well with the same character in the SCA, in fact the initial idea for the Ranger Moot we just did was his!

So I got him the axe and seax and thrower for Christmas and since I have been doing the seaxes I decided to put his set together.

The Seax itself should be pretty simple and though I have been using the copper caps rather than brass guards or butts or steel ones (which eventually I will find and learn to use) I decided, rather than waiting, to get in there with my own interpretation within my current technological limitations.

I started like the others with the copper plumming fixtures and the polymer clay but instead of making the clay one solid peice (which has been working very well), I went for the stacked leather washer type look with stacked polymerclay washers.

Bad Idea!

First throw the handle cracked and we had to take it back to the drawing board.

The second attemp was much better and that is what I show now totally untested so you will have to bear with me on the durability aspect.

It is all the same construction save for the PC disks that I had the ingenious idea to go ahead and do it for real, as I should have in the first place, out of leather disks. (Novel huh? Duh!)
I sat down after the PC Throwing failure with this style and just dedicated myself to cuttlmg out 40+ 8 oz disks, punching two holes in each at the far points of the tang width and diameter to match the thickness, then cutting two slits on each to connect the holes.

They were rather time consuming but worked very well. I then sanded them down but left them a bit rustic, (I did not want it to be as pollished as my K Bar), stained it and treated it with brown shoe polish, then buffed it up nicely.

The Axe is a CS Fronteer Hawk with a replacement handle that I had put some tiny little brass tacks in to liven it up a bit.

This axe throws beautifully and is very lively in the hand for just about any thrower. As my Son did not want the bigger "Skandian" style Norsehawks or the big bearded ones, I made sure he got this.

The final step was making a matching Axe and Seax sheath set.

My son is a lefty so we put his seax on his right hip for a sword like draw in a horizontal orientation.
It is made of two peices just the fold over blade covering and the rectangular belt holder on the back. I stiched through all three peices of leather on the top to make it cleaner and more efficient and then cut a row of stiching holes toward the bottom for the lower seam.

I used the Fiebing's leather dye in Dark Mohagay, Wow what a huge difference over the Eco-Flo water based stain! You have to be more careful but the coverage and consistancy were a vast improvement!

All stitching was done in my Olive drab "Ranger Thread" (I may have explained this one already, but this is the thread my Dad got when I was a kid. He was a parachute packer in the reserves by that time and I guess this is the stuff the Air force was using then. He used it for all kinds of things yet there is enough still on it that I was thinking this roll was going to outlive me and still might!
I am gonna give it a run for the money though!)

The last part of the project was the Axe sheath. I have had a couple of stupid "Boo Boo's" lately sticking my axes through my belt during throwing sessions (no not that kind of injury!)so I made some cool larp leather type covers to go on them to keep them from biting me.
The other day someone was looking at them and put the axe in improperly and cut the lower seam without my knowing it. So as I was Marshaling, I did not realise that the cover came off and the axe was exposed, I brought my hand down quickly and scliced the tip of my right ring finger on the pinky side below the nail to the bone. I was being judged for my accredidation as a thrown weapons marshal and did not need an instant fail, so I stuck my gushing finger in my mouth saunterd over to my bag and wrapped the hell out of it with green handle tape. few noticed and I still passed but I did a number on it for sure. BTW all heeled now and feeling actualy starting to come back PTL!

Anyway, a long story just to say I am pretty adament about covering these live blades now and certainly don't want my son to pick up my bad habits, so the leatherwork has become my next challenge.

I designed this axe sheath to be a bit more period looking instead of the ones I have been seeing that are of the 1950's and 60's vintage.
Made of two peices, front 6 oz formed over the front of the head and the back of the 8 oz (oh 4 peices if you count the two belt loops I put on the back)
It is all stiched too and the fastening is just two Bone buttons and some lacing to keep it from having snaps and such. The cuff comes from the back peice as does the flap.

I have plans of the thrower mounted in a mirror image sheath connected by straps to hang below the seax. (Not exactly as the cover art in the Aussie version shows but at least a side by side type which after long arguments about it being a by-knife, kangaroo pouch type, I relented.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Araluen Ranger Corp Seax Knife and Axe combo with leathe

Post by Manveruon »

LOVE the axe sheath! Brilliant design! Did you come up with that yourself? The Sax is nice as well! I used the same oak leaf stamp for my period thin-belt that I now wear with my own ranger gear.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yes, I kind of dreamed it up this morning as I was somwhat dissallusioned with the very modern looking peices I had been seeing.
I got the idea from looking at some waterforming techniques, then put the stitching plan together. I normally make my first draft in the black craft foam that I get from Micheals in the yard roll about 10 foot long.
When I have it all worked out, I transfer that to the leather and compensate for the way leather moves and drapes and forms.

The Oak leaf is as you might know the symbol of the Araluen Ranger Corp. Thus it's signifigance to the set. :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Love it! Every bit of it! And that axe sheath is truly inspired! Brilliant design!

I've definitely got to try the whole craft-foam mock-up approach too, now that you mention it. I could never really figure out a good leather substitute for mock-ups, but that makes perfect sense! Thanks for the idea!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Great work Ringulf.
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Ringulf, NICE WORK! That axe sheath was amazing!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh very very nicely done! Love that sheith as well!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

nice work as always
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Gorgeous, of course!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thanks folks!
I forgot how nice it is to work with real leather! Now that I am phasing out of the Larp stuff except by special commision, I will be doing more real leatherwork. The Larp leather was designed to be cheaper and more accessable to younger folks who were not going to be putting as much into their costumes monateraly and not expecting real hard usage. It has the look that larpers want and I learned alot from working with it, but it is so rewarding to feel the quality and hear the little leathery squeek of the gear when it's handled.

Just a bit of remembering what I used to do and a bit of a learning curve for new techniques. :mrgreen:
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Impressive work Ringulf! Very veery nice.

Now, how did you etch the pattern on to the leather?

Also, I just re-hilted a knife last night, wood wrapped with wire (WWWW!!), and it didn't work too well. I've been thinking of a few other options and think that this may be the one! Just let me check I've understood it correctly. You cut out a ton of 'washers' from heavy leather, drill a hole in em for the tang, then glue them all together?
Could you or someone else who makes knifes tell me how durable this method is please?
Thanks

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The oak leaf patterns are made with leather stamps you can get them from Tandy Leather online if there are none where you are. There are litteraly hundreds of impressions you can make. but I use chisles and knives and awls and all kinds of stuff to make things happen on the leather. you don't have to be locked into stamps. Just look at the leather as a 3D canvas and go to town.
Tandy has you thinking if it is not a stamp it does not look real. I think it is much more artistic to do it without.

As far as the handle, it is just leather disks the thicker the disk the less you use. being tight and hard they make a nice grip they are durable as hell because they are somewhat flexible and if you keep them conditioned from drying or rot, they will damn near last forever! I have my KBar I put up on here before, that has the original leather from the 40's during WWll and it is like new.

Cut the disk (I used a razor knife and scissors) drill two holes strait up the middle of the disk so that the outside top and bottom are as far apart as your tang is wide, then make two paralel cuts at the outsides of the two holes and remove the inside rectangle of leather. (if you have a round or rat tail tang just drill a hole to fit it) when you have them all on either by pressure or glue, you can sand the rings to get a uniformity and shaping to the handle. oil, shoe pollish, varnish and a bunch of other stuff can be used to finish it, glossy or flat depending on what type of grip or durability you want but over time the oils of your hand and the friction of use will rub the leather smooth anyway. :mrgreen:
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Thankyou, master Dwarf!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Ringulf wrote:The oak leaf patterns are made with leather stamps you can get them from Tandy Leather online if there are none where you are. There are litteraly hundreds of impressions you can make. but I use chisles and knives and awls and all kinds of stuff to make things happen on the leather. you don't have to be locked into stamps. Just look at the leather as a 3D canvas and go to town.
Tandy has you thinking if it is not a stamp it does not look real. I think it is much more artistic to do it without.

As far as the handle, it is just leather disks the thicker the disk the less you use. being tight and hard they make a nice grip they are durable as hell because they are somewhat flexible and if you keep them conditioned from drying or rot, they will damn near last forever! I have my KBar I put up on here before, that has the original leather from the 40's during WWll and it is like new.

Cut the disk (I used a razor knife and scissors) drill two holes strait up the middle of the disk so that the outside top and bottom are as far apart as your tang is wide, then make two paralel cuts at the outsides of the two holes and remove the inside rectangle of leather. (if you have a round or rat tail tang just drill a hole to fit it) when you have them all on either by pressure or glue, you can sand the rings to get a uniformity and shaping to the handle. oil, shoe pollish, varnish and a bunch of other stuff can be used to finish it, glossy or flat depending on what type of grip or durability you want but over time the oils of your hand and the friction of use will rub the leather smooth anyway. :mrgreen:
Did you cut the tang of the CS Seax at all? If so do you have pics, can you describe it?
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Yes I did. as I mentioned to you in the PM I have to take the little bird's beak of the end of the tang, even if I want to throw them without extensive handles (normally I just wrap them with green athletic tape like the kind you use for hockey sticks or handle grips on bats and such)

When you put the plumbing end caps on you need to make sure that the tang has been reduced to the point that it will allow the cap's inner diameter to slide over/onto it.
I normally do this by cutting the beak off with my angle grinder's cutting disk then I use the grinding disk on it to take off the extra "meat" on the outsides.

Depending on the look you want, you may choose to take a bit off both sides, or just the top(giving a more centered handle as is slightly more popular in period) or just the bottom, (keeping your "spine" fairly even from tip to tail.) I think the later looks a bit more "woodsy" but is just my interpretation.

Along with my view of style as conserns RA lore, it is not as of yet been seen in the books to my knowledge specifically, but it is mentioned that the Araluen Ranger sax is based on the Skandian sax, however it is more refined and is better made. (I interperate that as both metelurgically and stylistically).

So when I make a ranger seax it is normally of the sheep's foot design that the CS seax comes with, and I make my Scandian seax a "broken back" or what some call a "wolf's tooth" design.

This, again, is mostly easthetic in nature, but if you look at most Norse seaxes, they are predominantly of the clipped point, broken back style and are a normally somewhat more crude.

After all the seax was a "poor man's" sword or an "everyman's" knife. A flat bar with a clipped angled point was easy, quick and surprisingly deady.

Most of the time it out-lived the warrior, so it was not designed to last a long time in general....fortunately not everyone thought that way or we would have little documentable peices for us to study now! :mrgreen: