A Song of Ice and Fire books.

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

A Song of Ice and Fire books.

Post by robinhoodsghost »

So what is everyones take on the Rangers in A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE books and the HBO series based on the books, GAME OF THRONES ?
I like the way the wandering crows recruit new rangers....gives a new take on the Rangers portrayed in Tolkiens books.
Sam is my favorite Ranger in the book. Gotta love Old Bear as well.

RHG
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
armchair
Wanderer

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books.

Post by armchair »

No rough percentage is given, but many are criminals. Then again, it can be their chance to redeem themselves.

Funny timing on this; I just picked up the first season from the library. Not bad, from what I've seen so far. I considered the books to be unfilmable, but that isn't the case. It's not another Dune.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

The Night's Watch draw their members from many places including those facing criminal sentences. There were plenty of those in the Watch, and the Rangers more specifically, that were not criminal just down on their luck or not the first-born son (or even legitimate in Snow's case).

The books are well written and I like that basically there is no one safe from trouble or even death. I have read through all five books and they are definitely worth the read.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

I like the series. Very readable and done without worrying about being PC. The video seems very true to the books, as well. Waiting for the next season on DVD.

I've actually been putting together a Nights Watch kit. Very similar to my other kit, only all black and no bow. The kit seems to be a mix of 14/15th century with 16th century doublets over the tunics and gambesons. Still got some things to do, like adding fur to a cloak, and replacing my arming sword with a bastard sword. I'll post pics when its done.

Hawk
robinhoodsghost

Look forward to seeing those pics, Ranger Steve....take them outside after a big snow for full effect. I'm finishing My nights watch as well, I'll post here under Non-Tolkien Rangers when done.

RHG
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
robinhoodsghost

Here is my homemade nights watch gear, as promised. ( Thats me and crow, enjoying an ear of corn)

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p57 ... 1366497079

It was quite the hit at the Ohio Ren fair. Every one kept calling me Lord Commander or Lord Mormount. Seems like every other a lass wanted to get their picture taken with me. I still need to add a horn to warn of wildlings and obsidian knife to poke white walkers with. A buckle here and there it it should be screen accurate for the 1st season garb. Making the sword hilt was the hard part.

Was going to get a picture in the snow....maybe next winter.

RHG
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

The kit looks really nice. I like the crow on your shoulder. You do remind me a bit of Lord Commander from the series.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Looks great, no wonder everyone wanted pictures !
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Nice kit!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very nice! A man of the Night's Watch is one of the next projects on my plate as well!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

armchair wrote:No rough percentage is given, but many are criminals. Then again, it can be their chance to redeem themselves.

Funny timing on this; I just picked up the first season from the library. Not bad, from what I've seen so far. I considered the books to be unfilmable, but that isn't the case. It's not another Dune.
I'm just guessing, but I think there's an element of the French Foreign Legion in Martin's inspiration for the Nightwatch.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

I just finished the Game of Thrones book and I must say it was a great read! I like how the rangers come from all sorts of different places, with different stories. It gave me a new perspective to view rangers. However, it would've been a good deal better if all the rangers were equipped with a longbow :)
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
ineffableone

Post by ineffableone »

Something not mentioned yet, is the Night's Watch used to be a prestigious place for 2nd and 3rd born nobles or people who wanted a change from farming or soldiering, etc. At one time the Night's watch actually was able to turn down recruits.

It is only in the current time frame that the Night's Watch has turned into a refugee for criminals and unwanted disgraced nobles. This is in a large part due to the length of time since the last fight with the White Walkers. Most of the people now don't believe in them or if they do think they are extinct. People have forgotten the wall it not there to protect against Wildlings but to protect against White Walkers.

That only 3 of the Wall's castles are still in use and each in pretty poor shape is quite telling of how far the Night's Watch has sunk from it's old glory. If I remember correctly there were 19 or 20 castles originally.

BTW the video The Game of Thrones - Complete History and Lore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re_4-g07OPw is quite enjoyable giving same events told by different characters, and so a slightly different POV of what happened. Really interesting stuff. I linked it because it is over an hour long, so a bit long to embed and watch here.

I think GOT and the books sort of do a good job explaining most of the Night's Watch rangers are just normal folks doing mundane tasks, and only the elite actually get to do the real rangering. But after too many losses they stop ranging and sty behind the wall rather than venture out to scout.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

It's an interesting take. Because there are different sects like rangers, stewards, builders and what not. As mentioned in another thread the rangers in GOT seem to be more scouts. They for sure have to live like rangers beyond the wall but there's less of a mystique about them. Sometimes they're not really that noble at all if you see how a good many come to be in service.

I've always like the idea that rangers were almost like assassins creed characters, they are not this bright shining light but they do good others can't do because they're willing to live a harder life if need be.
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

It may be helpful to look at the "rangers" of the Night's Watch as something entirely separate from "rangers" as we think of them. In the context of the Song of Ice and Fire novels, the term "ranger" is really nothing more than a very specific descriptive title given to a few people with a specialized job within a larger order. The term "ranger" as it is used in many other works of popular fantasy these days has a much more far-reaching implication, and is much less well-defined. It's describes a more broad social class, like "woodsman." For instance, the term "ranger" in the Tolkien-ish sense (and thus, the generic modern fantasy sense) could be viewed like the term "sailor," whereas the term "ranger" in terms of A Song of Ice and Fire would more closely be compared to terms like "Fisherman," "Marine," or "Whaler."

Don't know if that makes any sense...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains