Next Emberverse book due out in 2 weeks.... **RANT***

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Next Emberverse book due out in 2 weeks.... **RANT***

Post by caedmon »

I used to love the Emberverse. Dies the Fire was an engaging thought experiment about how or would you survive the change. The Protector's War and Meeting at Corvallis extended that and were awesome reads.

The Next series, what I'll call the Montival cycle, started well. It should have been a trilogy, but it's going into it's sixth book. The last two books have been a waste. This book, The Lord of Mountains was as useless as Tears of the Sun. The first half was an incredibly long and detailed account of a battle in which NOTHING WENT WRONG. It was about as boring as the blow by blow accounts of a tourney in Le Morte D'Arthur. Then second half of the book was a shared hallucination between the two main characters on their vacation at a mountain lake.

Yawn. I used to love this series. Now I think it's just a way for Stirling to bilk another $25 each September from me on a series that will never actually end.

p.s. This won't keep me from making an Emberverse Ranger kit, but I will probably confine it to a year 10 kit.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Next Emberverse book due out in 2 weeks.... **RANT***

Post by Eledhwen »

I enjoyed the first series, but I just couldn't get into the second set. At all.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

A friend gave me the first book in the series to read. I found parts entertaining and later asked her why she thought I would like it. She replied that she thought I was like a character in the book - one of the people who would survive something like this. I took that as quite a compliment.

I kind of wanted to know what happened next, but not invested enough in the characters or series to read any more, so I just went to Wikipedia and read the synopses.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Getting through the last two have been tedious experiences...
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

i wait and buy them in paperback, I hate to wait but cant justify the money.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

Read and reread all of em.
To extent I've worn the first three out.
The latest was a good read even if I kinda expected the outcome.

Heck it got me to register in here so can't complain too much even if I don't post often
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I agree...love the first trilogy; have read up to The High King of Montival. Looks like I'm done with that series. This is much like Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg... it just gets so off that it's not fun to read. He seemed to go through a mid-life crisis played out through his novels. Stirling gets weirder and more mystical every book. Thanks for the warning.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ok, I've read it. Second half of the book is definitely set up for a new trilogy... or whatever. But it does finally finish the whole "Rudy cycle".

I was entertained but not inspired like in the first one. I'll not be buying the next ones.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

I wish there was more stuff like in the 1632 series. That is the sort of quality fan fiction about people NOT a part of the greater characters. I'd LOVE to see more short stories about the rest of us... Pieces about folks taken in by the Mackenzie's in say year 2 or 3. Another about the conditions for a worker in the PPA in the first weeks and months.

Agreed, it seems to have gone downhill, and I've stopped waiting so much.

Also, I get the books in epub form about a week after it hits the shelves, generally for free. Not "legal" really, but I do buy a book from Stirling now and again. If I like the epub, I'll buy the paperback when it comes out, too.

And I just made a light armor tabard thingy for this- it had a heavy cotton outer shell, with the tree on it, and a lining of shark mail, then padded with a wool blanket and more cotton. The sharkmail was hand-stitched in between layers of 600d nylon, too. VERY tough stuff! The tabard was basically the pointed version in the PJ Ithilien style, but the sides overlapped, and the point was less pronounced. We'll be making sleeves for it soon, too, I think. I'll take pics of those if we do.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

sgainbrachta wrote: And I just made a light armor tabard thingy for this- it had a heavy cotton outer shell, with the tree on it, and a lining of shark mail, then padded with a wool blanket and more cotton. The sharkmail was hand-stitched in between layers of 600d nylon, too. VERY tough stuff! The tabard was basically the pointed version in the PJ Ithilien style, but the sides overlapped, and the point was less pronounced. We'll be making sleeves for it soon, too, I think. I'll take pics of those if we do.

pics??? you know we like pics
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"