Asian film with lots of 'Rangerific' features

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Straelbora
Haeropada

Asian film with lots of 'Rangerific' features

Post by Straelbora »

For those of you in the US (and maybe Canada), there's a free film on Hulu called Myn Bala.

It's a film that's semi-historical, about how the invading Dzungars pushed the native Kazakhs off the Central Asian steppe and into hiding in the wooded mountains, and how they eventually came together to expell the Dzungars.

To me, you've got parallels between the Kazakhs and Fornost Dunedain and the Dzungar and the Angmarians.

And all proper credit due to New Zealand standing in for Middle Earth, but Kazakhstan is what I imagine Rohan really looks like. You just can't beat vistas of seemingly endless steppe.

Further, there's some absolutely fantastic clothing, tools, etc. showing how a dispossessed people survive living in the forests.

Caveat: the movie doesn't shy away from violence, so be prepared to see folks getting clobbered with maces and clubs, among acting as pincushions for some arrows.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/571883
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
turnip
Dúnadan

Re: Asian film with lots of 'Rangerific' features

Post by turnip »

Straelbora, thanks so much for sharing that film! My hubby and I both watched it during a quiet moment, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm hoping that Turnip will take the time to view it also - not only for the historical content, but also the 'ranger' content. AND, the scenery was absolutely stunning!!! I have to agree that this fits the bill more for the fields of Rohan (in my unworthy opinion). I will be watching this several more times - and maybe get to actually notice more about the 'old-world' tools, etc. I will be passing the info on this link to other parties not viewing the forum. Thanks again! Sindara
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Asian film with lots of 'Rangerific' features

Post by Straelbora »

turnip wrote:Straelbora, thanks so much for sharing that film! My hubby and I both watched it during a quiet moment, and thoroughly enjoyed it! I'm hoping that Turnip will take the time to view it also - not only for the historical content, but also the 'ranger' content. AND, the scenery was absolutely stunning!!! I have to agree that this fits the bill more for the fields of Rohan (in my unworthy opinion). I will be watching this several more times - and maybe get to actually notice more about the 'old-world' tools, etc. I will be passing the info on this link to other parties not viewing the forum. Thanks again! Sindara
Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál