The Nights Watch@The New York Renaissance faire.

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

mcapanelli
Haeropada

The Nights Watch@The New York Renaissance faire.

Post by mcapanelli »

Hello all,

So it's no secret I take my family to the faire every year. We've been going for maybe a decade now. The whole lot of them dress up and have a god time. My own 67 year old aunt wears surplus costuming my wife has. Next year I'd like to do something different. I'd like to gather as many forumites as I can and have the nights watch march on the faire. I'll be putting together my costume in the coming months. If anyone is so inclined to join us please reply to this thread. I'm looking for people who will by in garb and in character. It'll be a good time. So what say you? You'll have a little less than a year to plan it out.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: The Nights Watch@The New York Renaissance faire.

Post by Peter Remling »

You already know, I'm in.

My cloak is dyed and has it's fur mantle attached. I'm working on the cross strap. I have blackened maille, I plan on wearing over a black henly shirt. Over the maille is the big project on working on, a leather surcoat like garment with criss-crossing strips of leather (all black) and a pewter belt mount at the intersection of the straps. I have the belt mounts and the straps have been glued in place. I just have to hand stitch the straps in place.

I own black bracers and will wear simple black pants with high mocs and leg wraps.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Not able to join you, but I hope you have many companions and all have a grand time.

Long time ago I had (still have) black oxide maile, black wool cloak, black surcoat, black clothing, black shield, even a black oxide Norman style helmet. The cloak is hooded, has no fur portion, and hasn't got cross straps...but could easily be modified, even with the hood still on.

Have fun guys!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Sindara
Dúnadan

Post by Sindara »

Unable to join you, but certainly look forward to your posts following! Have a lot of fun, then show pics, and make the rest of us envious!
May your days of peace be long, and your enemies few.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I would absolutely love to be there.

We're having a baby in May.

Yeah.

What's the date of this event? Do you have some specific garb guidelines you'd like to be followed? Even though chances are slim-to-nil, if we WERE able to get out there, I'm 100% sure all I'd be able to pull together would be my Ranger kit, which is decidedly not black. Like, at all.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Greg wrote:I would absolutely love to be there.

We're having a baby in May.

Yeah.

What's the date of this event? Do you have some specific garb guidelines you'd like to be followed? Even though chances are slim-to-nil, if we WERE able to get out there, I'm 100% sure all I'd be able to pull together would be my Ranger kit, which is decidedly not black. Like, at all.
It wouldn't be till the sometime in September. The costumes are pretty heavy so later in the season should, hopefully, be better. I'm hoping they have a barbarian invasion again around the same time so we can pretend their wildlings. I have family attending as well. My wife is going to be a wildlings and my cousin is gong for Danaerys, with her body builder dark complexion boyfriend being Kal Drogo. As for costume, really any colors fine as long as its black :P Pretty much any weapon is OK as they tended to be form all over Westeros and would also use whatever they found. The only firm rule I have is no one can be Jon Snow. You have to create your own character and play the part when we're together. My cousin is just going because it's a cosplay to her so she can be whatever. And that's another thing. If anyone wants to come along but would like to cosplay another character from GoT their more than welcome. I'll have more info and the exact date as the faire site develops but figure sometime towards the end of September.

Congratulations on the baby by the way. My kids will be there as well.
Winter is coming
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Congrats on the baby news that's fantastic !

Regarding the event- black is the new black.

I plan on posting some pics as I complete some of the garb.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

congrats on the baby greg
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That's wonderful Greg! Congratulations to you both and the little ones for a new future playmate and sibling! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Wow, didn't mean to thread-hijack. I keep forgetting that things that my wife posts to facebook are not seen by my own friends as well...I thought this was old news. Oops.

It has come to my attention why I had no clue what Mike was talking about re: The Nights Watch. This is Game of Thrones shtuff, yes? Yeah...never made it more than about ten minutes into the show...that would explain it. I stopped by the MRL homepage yesterday, and saw something that, I believe, is what you're all talking about, based on Pete's description. Sounds fun, and I actually probably could put something together for that in time, though I very much doubt it'd be quality.

Now, as for September...I'll have to think about that.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

This will give you a slight idea of the leather surcoat-like thingie;

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... 794942.jpg

The straps are trimmed and glued and will be hand stitched on both edges. Where they intersect will be the pewter belt mounts.

Greg- you didn't hijack the thread, we're all overjoyed by Lori's and your good news. Oh and Lori - don't be a stranger.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Greg wrote:Wow, didn't mean to thread-hijack. I keep forgetting that things that my wife posts to facebook are not seen by my own friends as well...I thought this was old news. Oops.

It has come to my attention why I had no clue what Mike was talking about re: The Nights Watch. This is Game of Thrones shtuff, yes? Yeah...never made it more than about ten minutes into the show...that would explain it. I stopped by the MRL homepage yesterday, and saw something that, I believe, is what you're all talking about, based on Pete's description. Sounds fun, and I actually probably could put something together for that in time, though I very much doubt it'd be quality.

Now, as for September...I'll have to think about that.
Seriously dude, a baby announcement is a very welcomed thread hijack. Get ready for the most worthwhile ride of your life. Congratulations to both of you.
Winter is coming
robinhoodsghost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Museum replicas is on the GAME OF THRONES wagon now with a nights watch outfit available in their new catalog, check it out. I made one for a fraction of the cost and it came out rather nice., but if you have more money than time. They would be glad to sell you one.

A nights watch winter ren fair would go over big, I think....wonder why no one has done one?
Last edited by robinhoodsghost on Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I love the cloak, though I have still not had the time to watch, I think the belt attachment could be a breakthrough for me in keeping the damn thing from always strangling me! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: