Seax and Thrower Combo

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Seax and Thrower Combo

Post by Ringulf »

Nice job Ranger!
Nicely done on both accounts! I would not worry about throwing your companion knife at all, as long as the tang is solid and even all the way to the peen, the stacked leather looks plenty hard, did you treat it? I didn't see. some folks soak the leather or mink oil it so it soaks in a bit. that will also help your hand to rub it smooth over time. From what I can see, about the only reel possibilities of failure would be the pummel popping off the peened end of the tang or a hard-spot break happening at the guard. The first, though a pain, is not a hard fix. The second not so much. But either way, you should try it so you know in the test phase and not when you need it. If it breaks not only will you get to make another with corrections, but you will know how and why and be that much farther along in making the next one, and becoming a better knife maker to boot! Looks sweet to me, I would put my toe on the 10" mark hold her by the handle and give just a little heat, for a longer throw it looks like she has the body and fullness not to wobble even as far as the 18' or 23' mark (though if I had to throw from beyond the 18 I WOULD use the seax or a hawk) I know as a Ranger of Araluen you would not throw away your main melee weapon and at that range your bow would have already found it's mark, but thinking of just that perfect scenario, that is were I would see it.
I know you have your Silver Oak leaf by now, so you will do fine! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: