A Breath of the Wild (wink) (wink)

Babylon 5, S.M. Stirling's Emberverse, Ranger's Apprentice, something else? Let's talk.

Moderator: caedmon

Valjuen
Wayfarer

A Breath of the Wild (wink) (wink)

Post by Valjuen »

I don't know if there are any Zelda fans on here, but there's one now - Me, obviously.

I know Legend of Zelda is definitely not Tolkienverse, and Link isn't even a Ranger, but I was already on this forum and decided I'd just put it out there on here.

When me and my cousin do our Ranger camps in the summer, we tend to go to beaches - we do live in Australia after all. But we only go to the ones where it's unlikely you'll see another human being.

My gear gets really hot in the Summer - because...Australia - and the beach helps cool me down.

Problem is, wear a pair of board shorts and say "I'm a ranger!" at the same time.

You might be wondering, "What on Middle Earth does this have to do with Zelda?"

I'm going to make a Link from Breath of the Wild inspired costume for swimming and hiking in Summer.

Now my question for you is, what would be the best fabric for making the pants and tunic? I want them to be light weight for swimming in water, but still be a traditional fabric to hold up in the Tolkienverse.

I was thinking cotton, but decided to double check with this site...?

PS: If you haven't seen the tunic, here it is:
Attachments
legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-link-bow-arrow-700x350.jpg.optimal.jpg
legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-link-bow-arrow-700x350.jpg.optimal.jpg (40.7 KiB) Viewed 16881 times
Last edited by Valjuen on Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As dead flies cause the perfumer’s oil to stink and bubble, so a little foolishness outweighs wisdom and glory. - Ecc 10:1
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: A Breath of the Wild (wink) (wink)

Post by Elleth »

Ha! It WAS a Link shirt! :mrgreen:

Anyhow, for medievalish-northern Europe, you want a fairly light weight linen if you can get it.
I use these vendors in the US, but I don't know what's available in Australia:

http://wmboothdraper.com/
http://www.burnleyandtrowbridge.com/

(Etsy might also be a source, come to think of it)

If anything, it might be a little cooler than cotton come to think of it.

Cotton existed in the ancient and medieval world, but wasn't terribly common I believe until the 18th c. and nowhere near the dominant fabric until the 19th.
In Middle Earth, I'd expect it to be common among the Haradrim, known but uncommon in Gondor, and rare if not forgotton in the remains of Arnor.

Then again, there's Hobbits to think of, so who knows? :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Definitely linen. When I'm not wearing something historically-patterned in the summer, linen shorts are my go-to for swimming. It's the way to go, for both comfort (quick drying compared to cotton) and 'authenticity' (cotton not being Middle-earth appropriate, or at least not in the northwest):
Hammond&Scull [u]Reader's Companion[/u], p.612 wrote:"…the name Cotton ‘has of course in origin no connexion with cotton the textile material; though it is naturally associated with it at the present day. Hobbits are represented as using tobacco, and this is made more or less credible by the suggestion that the plant was brought over the Sea by the Men of Westernesse…; but it is not intended that ‘cotton’ should be supposed to be known or used at that time.”
Since you don't need juried reenacting-quality fabric, fabrics-store.com is the place to go for all the linen you'll need. Cheap prices, daily deals, great selection, and they ship internationally.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Valjuen
Wayfarer

Post by Valjuen »

Udwin wrote:Since you don't need juried reenacting-quality fabric, fabrics-store.com is the place to go for all the linen you'll need. Cheap prices, daily deals, great selection, and they ship internationally.
Checked it out, that's where I'm going to get my fabric. Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.
As dead flies cause the perfumer’s oil to stink and bubble, so a little foolishness outweighs wisdom and glory. - Ecc 10:1
Valjuen
Wayfarer

Post by Valjuen »

Elleth wrote:Ha! It WAS a Link shirt!
And a very well designed shirt, I might add. How amazing does it look?
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

And a very well designed shirt, I might add. How amazing does it look?
Amazingly amazing. ;)

How cool are your winters there? Does it get cool enough that a light wool tunic would be workable in the fall? Or would you need linen year round down there?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Valjuen
Wayfarer

Post by Valjuen »

Elleth wrote:How cool are your winters there?
It's pretty crazy down here. Sometimes it's about 6 degrees, others it's 27. Celsius, by the way.